Realignment rumors

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Big thread on football board but it obviously applies for basketball too. Latest rumors are OU/Texas to SEC; and apparently KU has a call set up with the Big Ten.

KU would obviously be a big add for basketball. I'm sure Iowa State is a potential add, though Big Ten would likely want to expand geographically and add Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, etc.

Go Gophers!!

Big thread on football board but it obviously applies for basketball too. Latest rumors are OU/Texas to SEC; and apparently KU has a call set up with the Big Ten.

KU would obviously be a big add for basketball. I'm sure Iowa State is a potential add, though Big Ten would likely want to expand geographically and add Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, etc.

Go Gophers!!
KU and ISU won’t bring the money. Plus would they force KSU? I’d like to see Colorado and MO. Think the ACC contract is tough to get out of though so don’t know how realistic it is. If you can get out of it then go UVA and Syracuse.

Go Gophers!!
going beyond 16 is useless. Choose wisely at this point. Probably a good time to talk to Missouri also, if youre talking to Kansas and Iowa State and others.

I'm sure at some point the ACC, SEC, B1G and PAC will be at 16, and the rest of the conferences will be lessers.

Last edited:

It's all about A&M for the Big Ten. That's a rich school, opens up BTN for TV, big time recruiting, etc.

The Big Ten will see what A&M does, and add one more school from there.

Fuck ND. Virginia doesn't move the needle for me. A&M and Mizzou or Colorado would be great.

ND? Nope. Virginia? Never leave ACC. Missouri, Colorado, and ISU? Meh. Kansas? Yuck.

Would love to somehow snare Kentucky and Louisville since each has elite history in b-ball and both are strong in football (in recent years). Plus, Kentucky has an elite womens volleyball team and would be a great fit in the B1G.

Put them in the separate divisions and call it a day. Neither will leave their conferences though.

Big 12 being disbanded?

Well, it looks like TX and OK to SEC is a done deal. insiders are saying they've been talking about this for six months and apparently have the votes (need 11 of 14 current SEC teams to vote yes.

A couple of complications - TX and OK are part of a media deal in the Big 12 that continues through 2024, so TX and OK probably can't join the SEC until 2025 unless they buy their way out of the Big 12 deal.

Anyway, take TX and OK away and the remaining teams in the Big 12 don't have the juice to attract a big-time TV deal. some outlets have suggested that the TV networks are part of the discussions behind the scenes, and when the musical chairs stop, the Big 12 would not be considered a Power-5 conference any more - meaning a lesser TV deal.

So, the remaining big 12 teams have to decide if they want to be part of a scaled-down conference with a smaller TV deal (i.e. less money) - or look for a different (i.e. more money) option.

Kansas doesn't do much for the B1G in football, but for hoops, it would be a big add.

I think the east has been covered. Assuming the B12 goes away I'd say OK St and TCU . Get into Texas and Oklahoma. Both have good football programs and respectable bball programs. OK St would be huge for wrestling. And 16 feels like a good number. 2 8 team divisions.

I think the ND boat has sailed, it isn't going to be
Syracuse, the biggest targets are NC and Georgia Tech, Texas A&M would be of interest I would think but I've never heard them mentioned. I doubt it will be a non land grant school though.

Additions in order of preference:

ND
UVa
A&M
Mizzou
Colorado
Syracuse
Kansas
Mine as well but none of them are leaving. Check the buyouts for UVA and AM. Plus ND gets to keep their own deal in the ACC.

Guys, the B1G has a research school requirement that all school be members of the AAU. (Nebraska was when they joined but has since been dropped).
Here is a list of possible 64 schools that the B1G would take:

Public
Georgia Institute of Technology (2010)
Indiana University (1909)
Iowa State University (1958)
Michigan State University (1964)
The Ohio State University (1916)
The Pennsylvania State University (1958)
Purdue University (1958)
Rutgers University – New Brunswick (1989)
Stony Brook University – The State University of New York (2001)
Texas A&M University (2001)
University at Buffalo – The State University of New York (1989)
The University of Arizona (1985)
University of California, Davis (1996)
University of California, Berkeley (1900)
University of California, Irvine (1996)
University of California, Los Angeles (1974)
University of California, San Diego (1982)
University of California, Santa Barbara (1995)
University of California, Santa Cruz (2019)
University of Colorado, Boulder (1966)
University of Florida (1985)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1908)
The University of Iowa (1909)
The University of Kansas (1909)
University of Maryland at College Park (1969)
University of Michigan (1900)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (1908)
University of Missouri, Columbia (1908)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
University of Oregon (1969)
University of Pittsburgh (1974)
The University of Texas at Austin (1929)
The University of Utah (2019)
University of Virginia (1904)
University of Washington (1950)
The University of Wisconsin – Madison (1900)

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brandeis University (1985)
Brown University (1933)
California Institute of Technology (1934)
Carnegie Mellon University (1982)
Case Western Reserve University (1969)
Columbia University (1900)
Cornell University (1900)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Harvard University (1900)
The Johns Hopkins University (1900)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1934)
New York University (1950)
Northwestern University (1917)
Princeton University (1900)
Rice University (1985)
Stanford University (1900)
Tulane University (1958)
The University of Chicago (1900)
University of Pennsylvania (1900)
University of Rochester (1941)
University of Southern California (1969)
Vanderbilt University (1950)
Washington University in St. Louis (1923)
Yale University (1900)

Guys, the B1G has a research school requirement that all school be members of the AAU. (Nebraska was when they joined but has since been dropped).

Public
Purdue University (1958)

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brown University (1933)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Rice University (1985)
Tulane University (1958)
Yale University (1900)
Time to drop the meaningless and arrogant AAU requirement. Dont see Louisville on the list and they are good enough for the ACC.

• If the decision to expand is to get a larger potential subscriber base for TV and streaming, then we should add either Army or Navy, maybe both.
  • If it's to increase the caliber of on-the-field performance (not in the classroom), then North Carolina (with NC, every school could have a chant of "We've got class, you don't").
  • If we want to expand to the south, then OK State and TCU (I don't think A&M would come).
  • And for expansion of hockey, the BIG should add the Univ of Toronto.

Public
Purdue University (1958)

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brown University (1933)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Rice University (1985)
Tulane University (1958)
Yale University (1900)
Thank you for sharing the list. I'm pretty sure Texas and Oklahoma would only change conferences as a pair, which is why the Big Ten wasn't an option (Oklahoma is not AAU). Other schools that some are mentioning are also non starters for the same reason .

Time to drop the meaningless and arrogant AAU requirement. Dont see Louisville on the list and they are good enough for the ACC.
ha, ha, ha... arrogant that a conference wants to continue to have some academic standards and not just sports? The B1G has and always will have higher standards than the SEC and others.

Mine as well but none of them are leaving. Check the buyouts for UVA and AM. Plus ND gets to keep their own deal in the ACC.
Buyouts can be re-negotiated. Especially A&M. Does the SEC really want to keep an angry p1ssed off school in the league against its will? Especially if the rumors that they weren't kept in the loop are true? "We'll let you out of the buyout if you don't sue us" seems like a reasonable compromise.

ha, ha, ha... arrogant that a conference wants to continue to have some academic standards and not just sports? The B1G has and always will have higher standards than the SEC and others.
Ditch Nebraska. Add Mizzou, A&M and Colorado. Nebraska and their great tradition can replace A&M in the SEC. Good luck!

I'm not a big fan of it as it really stretches the conference but I think the B1G is gonna shoot big here if it is gonna add and it will look west. Colorado would be a solid fit but I think they'll be looking to the top UCLA/USC/Oregon/Washington.

I'm not a big fan of it as it really stretches the conference but I think the B1G is gonna shoot big here if it is gonna add and it will look west. Colorado would be a solid fit but I think they'll be looking to the top UCLA/USC/Oregon/Washington.
This is my guess as well.

Buyouts can be re-negotiated. Especially A&M. Does the SEC really want to keep an angry p1ssed off school in the league against its will? Especially if the rumors that they weren't kept in the loop are true? "We'll let you out of the buyout if you don't sue us" seems like a reasonable compromise.
UVA has a airtight deal and would not leave anyways. President Ryan just spoke to this. No idea on A&M. Just terrible for many fans to see giant conferences where many members will not play each other, even worse than now. Talk about unbalanced schedules. Change is inevitable, it is the only constant but they will not all be good and some will be catastrophic. Some schools will be very cautious to jump during a period of great athletic department change. Some will de-emphasize sports as many lose money. Many schools are very concerned about crowds staying away,boosters giving less. However it all plays out, everyone can decide how that feels to them.

Sounds like Texas and Oklahoma will join the SEC as they will let Texas keep the Longhorn network deal ! That would leave Kansas and Iowa St. finding a way into the Big 10 ?

Sounds like Texas and Oklahoma will join the SEC as they will let Texas keep the Longhorn network deal ! That would leave Kansas and Iowa St. finding a way into the Big 10 ?
I hope not. I’d hope they’d try Mizzou and Colorado first

Well, as tenured faculty at a Big 10 school, I do feel the AAU is an elitist club that has little bearing on an actual education that a student athlete (or any student) can receive. Is research your thing? There is lots of high impact research done outside the AAU, believe it or not.

Notre Dame would obviously be the top choice, but they've turned us down. Looking west might lure Notre Dame into the fold.

Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Stanford. Would bringing over USC and Stanford be enough lure in Notre Dame?

Notre Dame would obviously be the top choice, but they've turned us down. Looking west might lure Notre Dame into the fold.

Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Stanford. Would bringing over USC and Stanford be enough lure in Notre Dame?
ND doesn’t qualify academically since they are not AAU. A point I love to bring up to my ND fan friends.

Well, as tenured faculty at a Big 10 school, I do feel the AAU is an elitist club that has little bearing on an actual education that a student athlete (or any student) can receive. Is research your thing? There is lots of high impact research done outside the AAU, believe it or not.
So what do you teach?

Research is a major factor for all graduate students in the sciences. It also attracts better professors that want to do research outside of just teaching. Also, the research conducted at our major universities are significant contributors to our fundamental knowledge. The purpose of universities is to educate students! Some also have sports teams, but that is only for entertainment purposes. The top research institutions are all members of AAU.

I’d prefer Notre Dame and Virginia. Doubtful either would happen. ND seems pretty happy as an independent (plus they already kind of get to have their cake and eat it too with the ACC), and it sounds like Virginia is pretty locked in to the media rights deal with the ACC. I say look west or south. One of these combos:
- USC/UCLA
- Stanford/Washington
- Texas A&M/Mizzou (if the SEC drama gets out of hand)

Adding the LA market would easily generate enough revenue to make up for the added travel costs. Sure, the road trips out west wouldn’t be great for Rutgers/Maryland, but I’m sure they’d get over it with the millions gained.

Kansas does nothing for me. Take away the prestige of their men’s basketball program and they probably belong in the AAC. Football runs the show in major college athletics, and their football team makes Rutgers look solid.

None of the others (Iowa St, Colorado, Kansas St, Okla St) move the needle to the point where splitting revenue with them makes sense. In my opinion the B1G is better staying as is than adding any of those.

Think big and see if USC/UCLA say no first. If you get too far down the list then just forget about expansion. The B1G already has the highest payout per school so there is no need to add schools.

Notre Dame, Stanford, UVA can not be lured with money, the have a great deal of that. They have superior academic cred, UVA has a 70 year culture of ACC rivalries their fans , their largest donors love. I expect Texas and OU to the SEC to happen very quickly and the Big 10 to add no one.

Top Bottom