Random take of the day: Coach Brew deserves credit on McKinley & Dandridge suspension

Reaction score
Random take of the day: Coach Brew deserves credit on McKinley & Dandridge suspension

For the "doubters" who always try and find something to get on Coach Brewster about if there is one thing that he has always been consistent on it is his insistence that his players will follow the team rules or there will be consequences.

I have a feeling that deep down it was just as hard personally on Coach Brewster as it was on McKinley or Dandridge to have suspend them for two key games (one of them the biggest rivalry game) in the middle of the year. Especially having to suspend a senior like McKinley who has generally been a strong player and team leader on the field.

Unlike some other Big Ten coaches we all know (looking squarely at you Bret "Butt" Bielema in Wisky D and Kirk Ferentz down with Herpes Hawkeye) Coach Brewster does not just sweep whatever team rule his players broke under the rug and forget about it, which I am sure he could have done if he really wanted to. Instead he did what had to be done when a team rule was broken. Who knows what their two game suspensions will mean over the next couple weeks (hopefully the Gophers can rise above it and I think other players will step up in their place), but at least Coach Brewster is a man of his word on this kind of stuff, which seems to be rarer and rarer in the college football arms-race these days.

Okay, love fest over now! ;)

On the surface i totally agree with you bronko but you really have no idea what the kids did. They could have gotten into a fight at a bar which a two game suspension seems a bit harsh, they could have yelled at a professor in which a two game suspension seems appropriate or they could have done something much worse and a two game suspension wouldn't be enough. I assume it is an appropriate level response but we have no idea.

Please keep GopherHole classy. Startribune is available for that kind of posting.

please! that was the most harmless jab at wisky & ioweee ever. enough with the pollyanna policing of language content in everyone's posts. i notice you have been at it all day with others on the board as well.

trying to force people to post using only verbiage that you personally see as "fit & proper" is lame, pointless and makes for a rather stale, lutheran, passive-aggressive minnesota environment around here. no thanks! every post does not have to be rated "G" or "PG" and there is no problem if some are rated "PG-13" or close to "R" without going over the line.

p.s. i don't see a single official "swear" word in my post, so really there is NO problem monk. :rolleyes:

p.p.s. and i know you want to think gopherhole is somehow going to be this super-classy place and above all other message boards out there, but if you could see some of the crap spewed about minny what i wrote is not even close. and yes, that does matter to me. not saying it has to matter to you. also, i am not trying to be some standard-bearer of posting etiquette and have never claimed to be. if you want to approach everything you post on gopherhole that way that is fine. but, don't try to force others to follow your approach.

Let's make a deal. I'll stop bugging you about your choice of words if you make an attempt not to slaughter the English language every time you post.

p.s. GopherHole is a classy place to be. I'm sorry you don't feel the same or as strongly as I do about this community.

Let's make a deal. I'll stop bugging you about your choice of words if you make an attempt not to slaughter the English language every time you post.

p.s. GopherHole is a classy place to be. I'm sorry you don't feel the same or as strongly as I do about this community.

ahh now it is the classic "grammar police" approach. doing just fine in that department and frankly i am not that interested in taking the time to proof-read every post like yourself. i'm sorry you don't feel the same or as strongly as i do about such an approach. :rolleyes:

p.s. i do in fact have a strong affinity for the gopherhole community, but YOU are not going to dictate my or anyone else's approach in terms of how we interact with it.

ahh now it is the classic "grammar police" approach. doing just fine in that department and frankly i am not that interested in taking the time to proof-read every post like yourself. i'm sorry you don't feel the same or as strongly as i do about such an approach. :rolleyes:

p.s. i do in fact have a strong affinity for the gopherhole community, but YOU are not going to dictate my or anyone else's approach in terms of how we interact with it.

No the moderators are going to dictate, which they have done in the past. I've asked them to take a look at this, and I'll default to the wills of the people who put hard work into this place. I don't think you have the right to dictate to them how you interact with it either. If they want a Startribune cesspool posting forum, then I can do nothing to stop you from interacting with it that way.

I agree with Bronko, the point is the rules are the rules, when violated there are consequences. I'm a dad, while raising my daughter I've met a lot of parents. With the good kids, there is a bright line on the rules it doesn't seem to matter, if the parents are strict or permissive. With the not so good kids it seems that the rules a flexible, strict or permissive, without that bright line there are problems. I applaud Brewster for applying his rules, in the long run, the team will be better for it.
Side Note: I expect my daughter to be at the U next year. When I asked her if she was going to apply to Wisconsin she replied I'll go to Winona first. I must of done something right.

On the surface i totally agree with you bronko but you really have no idea what the kids did. They could have gotten into a fight at a bar which a two game suspension seems a bit harsh, they could have yelled at a professor in which a two game suspension seems appropriate or they could have done something much worse and a two game suspension wouldn't be enough. I assume it is an appropriate level response but we have no idea.

A two game suspension for a bar fight being harsh made me do one of these -> :confused:

A whole lot of harm can come out of a situation like that, we're lucky we aren't hearing about our players getting plastered and beating the crap out of someone who crossed them, if this whole scenari is even close to the case.

Point being, no one is going to do whatever McKinley and Dandridge did again, unless they're stupid. Brew is just showing he expects players to show a particular level of responsibility, and that they will not get away with it if they don't. The way it should be.

This is why you have a depth chart. If you are not number one on the chart, you work hard and wait for an opportunity. Look at Blake Haudan. A fifth year Senior who lost the starting job to a Freshman...but he hung in there and now is getting a chance and is doing a good job. Or #93, who busted his butt waiting for a chance behind Merrill or Sytsma. This is good for the team and is as it should be. My hope would be that McKinley may have to work hard now to earn his starting spot back.

No the moderators are going to dictate, which they have done in the past. I've asked them to take a look at this, and I'll default to the wills of the people who put hard work into this place. I don't think you have the right to dictate to them how you interact with it either. If they want a Startribune cesspool posting forum, then I can do nothing to stop you from interacting with it that way.

wow! you REALLY need to get over YOURSELF bub! :rolleyes:

they could have yelled at a professor in which a two game suspension seems appropriate
They should be praised for yelling at a professor if they ever do. Those people need to be kept in check so their egos don't overflow.

I think you dictated the situation in your own post, monk. If you want to be the post police and dictate content, ask Nadine to make you a moderator.

Failing that, let the moderators do their work and don't try to do it for them.

Please keep GopherHole classy. Startribune is available for that kind of posting.

I applaud your effort but you are fighting a losing battle, my friend.

Anyway...

Trying to get back on track here.

It doesn't matter what they did--if Brew thinks two games is the penalty, two games is the penalty. We don't get to decide. A football team is not a democracy.

In order to be consistent, I think your average good coach probably has these penalties all worked out ahead of time.

Hopefully, it will be a lesson learned.

I applaud your effort but you are fighting a losing battle, my friend.

Only way to find out is to try. A couple of people have been nice enough to tone it down for the sake of the larger community. There are a lot more ways to be clever then resulting to bathroom language.

I appreciate the post.

I think you dictated the situation in your own post, monk. If you want to be the post police and dictate content, ask Nadine to make you a moderator.

Failing that, let the moderators do their work and don't try to do it for them.

I tried to take something that I find would be good for GopherHole into my own hands. I don't control GopherHole, and I don't pretend to. However this site is more then just the moderators. It is the members who post their information. I would rather that our Gopher player parents can come to this site and not find threads full of Jr. High bathroom language. I don't want people to be scared away from this site, because it looks like a StarTribune blog. I want this site to be full of Gopher fans. That is just my opinion.

I would hope you would share that opinion.

For the "doubters" who always try and find something to get on Coach Brewster about if there is one thing that he has always been consistent on it is his insistence that his players will follow the team rules or there will be consequences.

I have a feeling that deep down it was just as hard personally on Coach Brewster as it was on McKinley or Dandridge to have suspend them for two key games (one of them the biggest rivalry game) in the middle of the year. Especially having to suspend a senior like McKinley who has generally been a strong player and team leader on the field.

Unlike some other Big Ten coaches we all know (looking squarely at you Bret "Butt" Bielema in Wisky D and Kirk Ferentz down with Herpes Hawkeye) Coach Brewster does not just sweep whatever team rule his players broke under the rug and forget about it, which I am sure he could have done if he really wanted to. Instead he did what had to be done when a team rule was broken. Who knows what their two game suspensions will mean over the next couple weeks (hopefully the Gophers can rise above it and I think other players will step up in their place), but at least Coach Brewster is a man of his word on this kind of stuff, which seems to be rarer and rarer in the college football arms-race these days.

Okay, love fest over now! ;)

BNG,

After the McKinley, Dandridge, Whaley, Tinsley and Carter incidents, do you still agree with your statement above?

BNG,

After the McKinley, Dandridge, Whaley, Tinsley and Carter incidents, do you still agree with your statement above?

i do. each incident has to be viewed individually and within the context in which it happened. not as a whole. the incidents above were not all at the level that would automatically require a suspension by the team or AD's office. dandridge and mckinley were suspended for two games as they should have been. the other's were not and i don't believe they should have been.

I missed the McKinley & Dandridge incident. What happened anyways?

i do. each incident has to be viewed individually and within the context in which it happened. not as a whole. the incidents above were not all at the level that would automatically require a suspension by the team or AD's office. dandridge and mckinley were suspended for two games as they should have been. the other's were not and i don't believe they should have been.

Thank you for an honest answer.

Talk about glass houses. Kirk Ferentz has kicked many players off the team permanently for violations of team rules, including starters. Those arrested or cited also see game suspensions. But I sure that is different somehow. Brewster is a pillar of purity compared to the organized crime boss by the name of Kirk Ferentz, right? :clap:

Talk about glass houses. Kirk Ferentz has kicked many players off the team permanently for violations of team rules, including starters. Those arrested or cited also see game suspensions. But I sure that is different somehow. Brewster is a pillar of purity compared to the organized crime boss by the name of Kirk Ferentz, right? :clap:

Ferentz like Paterno, has had a lot more of these to deal with then Brewster. Longevity will do that to a big time coach. By all accounts they've both handled things well. I certainly hope you're engaging in a little hyperbole about every "arrest" or citation getting a suspension. Every arrest or citation isn't a guarantee of guilt. It's casting aspersions to claim that Ferentz wouldn't even try and find out what happened before he'd suspend a kid.

Iowa's honor has been defended this day upon the internet.

*inhales deeply*

Feels good, man. Feels like victory.

Deserves Credit? You are crazy Bronko!

Deserves credit for those suspensions? You are either crazy or just plain stupid!

There is only ONE thing that would call for a two week suspension that time of the year and it is NCAA mandated for any athlete.

NCAA rule is they catch you once you get a warning. They catch you a second time it is two weeks.

Has nothing to do with the head coach and more to do with the party habbits of the athletes!

Ferentz like Paterno, has had a lot more of these to deal with then Brewster. Longevity will do that to a big time coach. By all accounts they've both handled things well. I certainly hope you're engaging in a little hyperbole about every "arrest" or citation getting a suspension. Every arrest or citation isn't a guarantee of guilt. It's casting aspersions to claim that Ferentz wouldn't even try and find out what happened before he'd suspend a kid.

Well, it might be a slight exaggeration to say "every", but in a vast majority of cases, if you get a citation for underage drinking, arrested for public intox, or whatever, Ferentz hands down a suspension including missing one or more games. The exception might be if the incident happens far removed from the season, but usually even then there is a game suspension. I agree that coaches have to look at everything when handing down a punishment. Case in point, some players have had two incidences with the law, but were allowed to stay a member of the team albeit with a suspension. Other players have one minor legal problem and are booted (Benny Sapp comes to mind), because maybe they have had a history of breaking team rules that the general public doesn't know about, because they were upperclassmen who made their mistake at a bad time for the program and should have known better, etc.

I personally could care less about how Tim Brewster chooses to punish his players. Bronco just stared off by saying that Ferentz sweeps these things under the rug and forgets about them when nothing could be further from the truth.

Iowa's honor has been defended this day upon the internet.

*inhales deeply*

Feels good, man. Feels like victory.

^^^^^^^^^

Somebody is a drama queen. What color tights do you wear when you perform at the renaissance festival?

Top Bottom