Random Music Thread....

I have no idea why this guy didn't get more play. Devin, from Brooklyn.

Some days I can't get enough of this one. Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames.

This band has an interesting history. Formed in the early '90's in Portland, they wrote the song below later in the 1990's, and nearly a decade later, this song was heard by someone from a French advertising agency and they used it in a French commercial because they thought it sounded more authentic than a lot of French music that was trying to sound like Edith Piaf.

I once held a party based solely on this video. The dancing and production values are over the moon.

You can spend hours on youtube search for old Scopitone videos. A lot are hit and miss, but there are some gems out there.

One of the songs I played frequently in my Space Age Bachelor Pad/Hipster days.

Wanda Jackson got a little revival through Jack White, but this one was always missed, and I think it was her best effort. The women that played rockabilly back in the day were really awesome. So unlike my next entry and the typical sound and subject matter for women of that era. Drinkin', smokin', screwin'.

Nancy Sinatra is hardly random or obscure, but most people haven't heard this one, my favorite.

Wanda Jackson got a little revival through Jack White, but this one was always missed, and I think it was her best effort. The women that played rockabilly back in the day were really awesome. So unlike my next entry and the typical sound and subject matter for women of that era. Drinkin', smokin', screwin'.

Saw Wanda in the mid 90's. She had started performing again after a decades long layoff. She opened for Ronnie Dawson, another old performer who found a new audience during the Rockabilly revival of that era.

Saw Wanda in the mid 90's. She had started performing again after a decades long layoff. She opened for Ronnie Dawson, another old performer who found a new audience during the Rockabilly revival of that era.

I miss that era. Pretty much gone by the time Lux Interior died.

I miss that era. Pretty much gone by the time Lux Interior died.

Loved the Cramps. They sometimes play them on The Current, but it pretty infrequent.

There are a couple more modern women still playing Rockabilly. This is one bad ass song from Imelda May from Ireland:

The Vibro Champs were great, too. I couldn't find any performance videos on the YouTube, but there was this short documentary film.

The Vibro Champs were great, too. I couldn't find any performance videos on the YouTube, but there was this short documentary film.

They played a reunion show last summer (can't remember exactly where or when) but I missed it.

Loved that they mention Reverend Horton Heat in the film you attached. I love the Right Reverend. Missed him at Mill City in January (UGH).

Still my favorite, "Wiggle Stick" which I first heard while playing "Redneck Rampage"...what a great video game. Lots of Mojo Nixon and The Beat Farmers:

They played a reunion show last summer (can't remember exactly where or when) but I missed it.

Loved that they mention Reverend Horton Heat in the film you attached. I love the Right Reverend. Missed him at Mill City in January (UGH).

Still my favorite, "Wiggle Stick" which I first heard while playing "Redneck Rampage"...what a great video game. Lots of Mojo Nixon and The Beat Farmers:

A friend of mine used to work for Rev105. He was able to interview Reverend Horton Heat. Said it was the most awkward moment of his life. Thought the Reverend was going to beat him. Mr. Heat wasn't doing so well after a late night and had little patience for "stupid" questions. $400 Bucks is a great song..

How long has it been since anyone jammed out to a 2 Live Crew song?

Those guys were true poets, masters of the English language, inspirational music to a young man interested in getting a piece of tail.

How long has it been since anyone jammed out to a 2 Live Crew song?

Those guys were true poets, masters of the English language, inspirational music to a young man interested in getting a piece of tail.

Dick Almighty used to be an anthem for a bunch of us. Man...haven't thought about that song in a LONG time.

A friend of mine used to work for Rev105. He was able to interview Reverend Horton Heat. Said it was the most awkward moment of his life. Thought the Reverend was going to beat him. Mr. Heat wasn't doing so well after a late night and had little patience for "stupid" questions. $400 Bucks is a great song..

Who was it? I loved Rev105. And yeah...I don't think the Reverend is quite right in the head.

O.K. This is as random as it gets. I'm enjoying the win over Iowa and thumbing around for something to watch during halftime of the Indiana/wisky game, and settle on "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". I happened upon a scene where I was not paying attention at all, but hear this song in the background. It took me until there was 2 minutes left in the game to track it down, but I'm thrilled to have found this Bossa Nova classic from Perez Prado. The phrasing by the reeds in this is fantastic, just the thing I need on a cold night. I might have to plan a Bossa Nova party now.

You want random? This is from my favorite of the Annette Funicello beach movies, "Pajama Party." Maybe I like it because it's not gummed up by Frankie Avalon, but more likely it's because of the fun song and dance numbers. This one's sung by Dorothy Lamour. Look for Toni Basil in the purple bikini and a young Teri Garr in the yellow dress.

The Cramps? Rev Horton Heat? Seems like you guys are just trying to out weird each other now. If you're looking for rockabilly revival, this guy came out of OK a couple years ago. I think I posted this here before, but it's good enough to post again.

You want random? This is from my favorite of the Annette Funicello beach movies, "Pajama Party." Maybe I like it because it's not gummed up by Frankie Avalon, but more likely it's because of the fun song and dance numbers. This one's sung by Dorothy Lamour. Look for Toni Basil in the purple bikini and a young Teri Garr in the yellow dress.
Here's a song from a different surfer's pajama party. This is the only surf rock band I like.

Here's a song from a different surfer's pajama party. This is the only surf rock band I like.

I need to sit you down and teach you the wonders of surf music/bands. So many good ones.

The Cramps? Rev Horton Heat? Seems like you guys are just trying to out weird each other now. If you're looking for rockabilly revival, this guy came out of OK a couple years ago. I think I posted this here before, but it's good enough to post again.

Weird is good. The Cramps were great. I never thought of JD McPherson as rockabilly but it works. The Current played the crap out of that song. I wish they would have gone deeper with his stuff. Wasn't he an ex English teacher?

I like where this thread is going. Here's a tune from the movie "Gonks Go Beat," featuring the Graham Bond Organisation with Ginger Baker on the drums(!).

Weird is good. The Cramps were great. I never thought of JD McPherson as rockabilly but it works. The Current played the crap out of that song. I wish they would have gone deeper with his stuff. Wasn't he an ex English teacher?
True, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Ted, I bought the whole album on this one! There are a few good songs. I think The Current rotated in three of them, but this definitely got the most airtime.

Well, I don't know about that. I really don't think The Cramps or Reverend Horton Heat are weird, per se. Not everyone's flavor, and that's cool. About 10-12 years ago, I had those two in my regular rotation.

And I agree that The Current kind of wore out JD McPherson, but I like his stuff. They're trying pretty hard to wear out Jake Bugg now. Another great, young kid, and I like his style.

Top Bottom