Quinn to Announce Decision Live on KARE 11 May 1st

It would be sickening if KARE broadcasts it, he chooses Notre Dame, and then they follow up with the... "And you can watch his games, right here on KARE 11!!!" as if we are all going to be Notre Dame fans because a MN kid goes there.

It would be sickening if KARE broadcasts it, he chooses Notre Dame, and then they follow up with the... "And you can watch his games, right here on KARE 11!!!" as if we are all going to be Notre Dame fans because a MN kid goes there.
I had the same thought but trying to see the glass as half full and he stays home.

I won't watch it, I'll tell you that for free.

ND is a good school. They re football tradition is fine. They have a huge contract w NBC...fine.

If the kid wants to go there...fine! Go. It's just to announce, on local TV that hes smiting the local school that has already been beaten down for so long?!?? Sucks man. Heartbreak after heartbreak

Why is it heartbreak after heartbreak? We landed Coughlin a few years ago who had a similar ranking, and Jeff Jones before that. We haven’t really lost a top flight recruit that we really wanted since Cornell in 2015.

Agreed, bold move to commit to Notre Dame over the Gophs on live local television. Call me bitter... Made me sick to my stomach watching all the local media fawn over Ragnow yesterday as well. I wish the kids well and recognize their god given rights to choose their school but absurd how a guy like Ragnow and now Carroll will be viewed as "local heros" by the local media.
My sentiments exactly. I am not a big fan of the giant signing ceremonies in general though.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Isn't Notre Dame one of the most underachieving football programs the last 20 years? Always getting top recruits but not usually in the hunt for a national championship?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Congrats on heading to the home of the Big Ten hockey champions. (Some on here might not have known that after we won it four times in a row.)

Why is it heartbreak after heartbreak? We landed Coughlin a few years ago who had a similar ranking, and Jeff Jones before that. We haven’t really lost a top flight recruit that we really wanted since Cornell in 2015.

It's the misses in both football and basketball; especially BB.

The Carroll defection is huge as dad was a Gopher great and program supporter. And then you throw in this Kare11 Notre Dame garbage- it sucks.

It's the misses in both football and basketball; especially BB.

The Carroll defection is huge as dad was a Gopher great and program supporter. And then you throw in this Kare11 Notre Dame garbage- it sucks.

No doubt missing out on Carroll sucks, especially because his dad played for the U and pimped Notre Dame to him as a kid.

My point was that we've been getting most of the top players in the state for a while. Carroll is an outlier.

His kid is a lot better than the pompous Mike Max and Rosen is just hard to take seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's appropriate that you would like him...

No doubt missing out on Carroll sucks, especially because his dad played for the U and pimped Notre Dame to him as a kid.

My point was that we've been getting most of the top players in the state for a while. Carroll is an outlier.

I'm just saying as a general gopher fan... we catch no breaks. We have gotten some good in state kids lately but what have they amounted to so far?

Lou Holtz, the metrodome, hiring Wacker, michigan 03, TT 06, the Wisconsin losing streak....heartbreak after heartbreak

Gopher sports media drool over athletes that leave the state to play at ND or other national brand teams. I remember the Pat Eilers/Notre Dame love fest back in the late 80's. The media wants to project an image that Minnesota can produce big time collegiate football players just like the big southern states do. It's really kind of sad.

After pondering all this. From all accounts that I hear, Carroll is a great Christian guy. One who cares about family, friends, teammates along with the community. I can't picture him rubbing salt to the wound to the local fans if he were decide to go elsewhere on tv. I believe he is a Gopher.

I hope to goodness that is true because it will give MN a huge uplift. But, reality bites hard... We have so few D1 players coming out of MN in comparison to schools in the East Coast, the Southeast, the South, and the West Coast - areas outside of the Dead Zone of recruiting. Any loses of MN talent to talent rich schools is a major blow.

Re-posted links:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/23/12607342/recruits-states-rankings

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...7-best-college-football-recruits-rankings-map

I'm just saying as a general gopher fan... we catch no breaks. We have gotten some good in state kids lately but what have they amounted to so far?

Lou Holtz, the metrodome, hiring Wacker, michigan 03, TT 06, the Wisconsin losing streak....heartbreak after heartbreak

We catch plenty of breaks. We landed Jones and Coughlin as top in-state recruits. We just signed 2 of the highest rated linemen in our history. We just got a commitment from Tyler Nubin, the second highest defensive recruit in the last 7-8 years. We just beat out Harbaugh today for a DE.

Don't any of you realize that with the media ownership consolidation that has gone on that it is not entirely a decision of the local talking heads? Besides Shaver attended Iowa State so it is no skin off his nose.

This is the same station that has provided increased news about Wisconsin events under the guise of local coverage.

It's a shame that our school of journalism and school of communications don't land more grades in local newsrooms.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This little gem from KARE's fb page speaks volumes about what viewers think of the U's football program.

Screenshot-2018-4-29 kare 11 - Facebook Search_LI.jpg

There's no way you go on local TV to announce you've changed your name to Benedict Arnold. If he really follows through and announces on Channel 11, then it's a commit to the U.

There's no way you go on local TV to announce you've changed your name to Benedict Arnold. If he really follows through and announces on Channel 11, then it's a commit to the U.

Given our track record on local big names selecting on TV alone, I'd say the chances are not good.

Again.... Quinn is picking ND. Sources have already confirmed it. He will announce on TV this as well.

Move on brother

It has to be pretty obvious with his late visits to ND, and Kyle Rudolph "just happened to be there" on one last weekend. His family has ties to ND. A Catholic boy going to a Catholic University that just had two linemen taken in the first round. No real mystery there. It is just the picking hats charades that is left to do.

Other than GHers and the Subway owner that let PJ put an oar on his shop's wall, no one else watching him pick ND on a local MN TV station will think anything negative about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than GHers and the Subway owner that let PJ put an oar on his shop's wall, no one else watching him pick ND on a local MN TV station will think anything negative about it.

No, but the young players see that it is special if you go to ND, or Duke. None of the kids that pick the U get this type of treatment. Again, it is the point that it is news only if you go to one of those schools. These players become role models.

Let's be real here. For better or worse, the kids that do the "hat ceremonies" and live, on-camera announcements are not thinking about how their announcement will impact local fans, or impact the U of MN. They're thinking about how their announcement will impact them.

With rare exceptions, the current generation of HS athletes is the most self-absorbed, narcissistic group in history. It's all about Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

Why - because we - the fans - have made it that way. The fans fawn over these kids - treat them like royalty from the time they're in junior high - follow their every move on social media. Is it any wonder they all have this "me first" attitude?

A few kids have parents who are strong enough to keep the kids focused and keep them from falling prey to the adulation and the flattery. But most of the parents are just as bad, if not worse, than the kids.

With rare exceptions, the current generation of HS athletes is the most self-absorbed, narcissistic group in history. It's all about Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

So says every generation about the next.

297.png

Assuming he picks Notre Dame, or really any school other than the U, I don't think it's really a show of poor character or anything, I would just kind of wonder what the point of a televised announcement is. I can understand holding a ceremony at your school, where friends and family and classmates and teachers and people who will be cheering for you personally regardless of where you go to school can see the announcement. But who else in Minnesota outside of that demographic is going to care about the announcement if he doesn't choose the Gophers? Probably just small pockets of Notre Dame's national fan base who reside in Minnesota. Just seems like most of the people who would be able to see a televised announcement, but not attend a local ceremony at his school, would either be disappointed or not care if doesn't choose the U, so why go on TV for it?

I'll also say I don't know how this was set up. If he's just having a local ceremony and Kare 11 asked him if they could cover it, and he was just like "yeah sure why not," then I'd understand. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that he/his family asked to have it televised, but I could very well be wrong. On the basketball side, Tre Jones semi-recently streamed an announcement ceremony online to announce his commitment to Duke, but that was also a live ceremony with other people who presumably knew him personally in attendance.

So says every generation about the next.

And by the latter half of their lives many begin to understand maybe they didn’t have it all figured out at 21 and develop some humility.

Yet, a whole thread has been created and some who never watch KARE will now watch.
My disgust with KARE is the obvious nepotism in hiring Randy Shaver's son for sports broadcasting. The kid is not very good and should have honed his skill up in Rhinelander or some other backwoods market, but daddy has pull at KARE. If I watch local sports I turn to WCCO.

A whole thread with about 15 people posting in it. Do more than 15 people change the channel when they see a high school football player on picking a hat? My guess is yes

Who gives a rip about TV hoopla. Fake news.

Just tell us. Are you a Gopher or not?

Let's be real here. For better or worse, the kids that do the "hat ceremonies" and live, on-camera announcements are not thinking about how their announcement will impact local fans, or impact the U of MN. They're thinking about how their announcement will impact them.

Why - because we - the fans - have made it that way. The fans fawn over these kids - treat them like royalty from the time they're in junior high - follow their every move on social media. Is it any wonder they all have this "me first" attitude?

A few kids have parents who are strong enough to keep the kids focused and keep them from falling prey to the adulation and the flattery. But most of the parents are just as bad, if not worse, than the kids.

Top Bottom