Questions I would like to hear Teague asked at some point

i think it would only really matter to the big donors. my wife and i donate $1000.00 every year to the athletic department. i know its not much but im a teacher. i dont like the idea that our yearly donation is possibly put towards buyouts instead of other things---obviously im not saying our tiny donation is supporting the buyouts. i dont care to know the answers because our donation isnt a big deal, but i could understand someone that is donating millions, hundreds of thousands, etc would want to know.

Then ask him in a private meeting.

Curiosity, I guess. Just to see how Teague would handle it. I wouldn't expect him to answer. (Only Mike Tice would answer.) How he answers the question can tell you a lot though.

I am wondering if he would be willing to give anything away regarding dictating assistant coaches as has been heavily rumored, but not confirmed, as far as I've seen.

Teague is a Big Boy. He should be able to handle questions like these to the satisfaction of a fan base that he shut out (rightfully so) during the process. That's my opinion.

Fair enough.

There seems to be this idea with some fans and media that if you don't get the first or second person that you ask, then somehow the whole process was a failure. Well guess what, there are a lot more than two qualified candidates out there, so really, who cares how many people you've asked? We got a coach in 9 days, which is well within a reasonable amount of time.

+1

I am a hiring manager in a large organization with 25+ positions reporting up to me. When I have an opening, I often go out and talk to a few people who I know would be good about whether they might be interested in applying. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't for a myriad of reasons. If they aren't interested and I find a good person to fill the job anyway, I've still succeeded. Sometimes that person exceeds any expectations I could have had of the original names I had in mind.

Not sure what the big deal is if Pitino truly was our 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th choice. Doesn't matter what choice he was, in the end (just like Tubby) it'll be the results that matter. As I've said before, Bo Ryan was nowhere near Pat Richter's 1st choice at Wisconsin. Turned out to be a da*n good hire (unfortunately) for the Badger athletic program.

The question I'd want to hear Teague answer at the presser tomorrow, with a completely no-BS answer:

What's it like having to deal with Sid Hartman, day in & day out?

I'd guess there are quite a few stories shared inside the Bierman Building about Sid Hartman.

:clap:

This isn't meant to be a negative response to GopherJake's initial post. However, as "Year of the Gopher" posted, so many people don't really understand a hiring process.

I lead an organization with a nearly 1,000 employees. If I am filling an executive position, I don't just wait for applications to come in, or only talk with people I know would take the job. Instead, I have a list of people I know and/or am aware of their work who are highly thought of, and I go and talk with them. I ask about their interest in the position, and who else is out there I should talk to. Sometimes those individuals use that to their advantage and tell their current organization they've been asked about an open position and they get an extended contract or raise. Other times, after talking, they share their interest and we talk some more. Usually, because they are successful, they say thanks, but I'm going to stay in my current job, but here's some people you should talk with.

I would rather have 5, 8, or 12 highly successful, happy people say no, and then find the right fit than only talk with people I know might want to move. Sometimes, I have been surprised and I have had a great person say, "I'm ready to try something new and I love what you're doing." It was worth asking. Usually, they say no thanks, but I get a recommendation.

Teague probably knew some of these folks were happy where they are and they would say no. What's the harm in asking? He could have very well had Pitino on his list, just not in the top four or five. Who cares? He still got someone he thinks is a quality candidate.

Last, Sid wasn't right. Sid said people wouldn't come because he fired Tubby. From the rumors out there, someone like Hoiberg was very impressed with Teague. He didn't come because he is happy where he is, not because of something we didn't offer. I'm glad we got someone who is running to Minnesota, rather than away from somewhere.

Some of these are obvious, but I would love to see Teague asked these questions DIRECTLY and pressed for an actual answer.

1. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and Fred Hoiberg?

2. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Flip Saunders? If so, what restrictions, if any, did you put on his assistant coach selections?

3. Did you (or anyone in your office) contact the two incoming recruits Foster and Ellis to let them know of the situation and offer to calm their worries?

4. Have you (or anyone in your office) given Richard Pitino any restrictions on his assistant coach selections?

5. Can you please admit to Sid that he was right on the money with his (tactless) question he asked at the Tubby firing news conference about getting your 5th choice?

6. Did you make any promises to Richard Pitino regarding a practice facility?

7. What are the buyout numbers if Richard Pitino is fired?

8. If Richard Pitino leaves for another program, is there any penalty for him?

Others?

#2. A source told me that Flip did indeed want Ryan on staff, but the U flatly denied that request.

Some of these are obvious, but I would love to see Teague asked these questions DIRECTLY and pressed for an actual answer.

1. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and Fred Hoiberg?

2. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Flip Saunders? If so, what restrictions, if any, did you put on his assistant coach selections?

3. Did you (or anyone in your office) contact the two incoming recruits Foster and Ellis to let them know of the situation and offer to calm their worries?

4. Have you (or anyone in your office) given Richard Pitino any restrictions on his assistant coach selections?

5. Can you please admit to Sid that he was right on the money with his (tactless) question he asked at the Tubby firing news conference about getting your 5th choice?

Others?

Ozzie & Ray's response was perfect, but I'll add my two cents anyways. Can you name the last school to get their first choice in a coaching search? How about their second choice? It didn't take much for Sid (or anyone else) to guess that Teague wouldn't get his first choice. Why in the hell would he need to admit that Pitino was his 5th choice and where do you get the idea that you know that to be true? Shaka, Stevens (maybe), Hoiberg (maybe)...do you really think Norwood Teague wanted Flip Saunders coaching his team? You can argue that he should have hired Flip, but you can't argue that he was higher on his list that Pitino. The bigger issue is why you would want Teague to publicly say that he got his 5th choice (in the event that was true)? Who in the hell does that benefit? It doesn't benefit Norwood Teague, it doesn't benefit Richard Pitino, and it doesn't help the programs perception with the public or recruiting targets.

Adding to Ozzy&Ray's commentary... I've been on both sides - as a hiring manager and as a HOTLY PURSUED talent...

In some fields it's completely normal for "well to do" and happily employed people to frequently talk about the job market and entertain brief conversations (or something more involved) about other opportunities.

College basketball coaching is also unique... so many of these guys know one another very well and a lot of them will be "in the business" for many years to come. You never know what tomorrow brings and approaching many of them to gauge their interest and to see what's on their mind is normal and sensible. In fact, it's responsible and wise to check in with folks (as long as you're doing so in a professional and respectful manner).

I hope the U talked to a ton of potential candidates. Fans should consider whether or not they're happy with the conclusion of the search. Let those whose job it is to work through the process do their thing... there's a lot more to it than: "Hi Mr. Coach, please come to our school?" "No thanks" "OK, mark him off the checklist. Let's go to #2 on our list"...

Adding to Ozzy&Ray's commentary... I've been on both sides - as a hiring manager and as a HOTLY PURSUED talent...

In some fields it's completely normal for "well to do" and happily employed people to frequently talk about the job market and entertain brief conversations (or something more involved) about other opportunities.

College basketball coaching is also unique... so many of these guys know one another very well and a lot of them will be "in the business" for many years to come. You never know what tomorrow brings and approaching many of them to gauge their interest and to see what's on their mind is normal and sensible. In fact, it's responsible and wise to check in with folks (as long as you're doing so in a professional and respectful manner).

I hope the U talked to a ton of potential candidates. Fans should consider whether or not they're happy with the conclusion of the search. Let those whose job it is to work through the process do their thing... there's a lot more to it than: "Hi Mr. Coach, please come to our school?" "No thanks" "OK, mark him off the checklist. Let's go to #2 on our list"...

With that terminology, GW, you lost all credibility. :)

Jake, we don't want to know what may or may not have happened because that knowledge could be used for.. ? Yeah, but even the thought certainly pisses a lot of people off. On the bright side nobody's called you Pantherhawk, so you've got that going for you at least.

You may be more than willing to wait and see what kind of a job Teague does going forward. I certainly am, but that doesn't cut it around here. Jake you're suppose to wait and give Norwood enough time only if you have some "negative" thoughts, that you're suppose to keep to yourself by the way. If you do have some questions about what happened or about anything that actually has happened since last July you're a bloody, low-life S.O.B. who is only interested in getting Teague fired! Or you're one of those "Flip lovers" who wants the U to fail because they didn't hire him. Or you're Sid Hartman. A guy who loved the U sure, but loves himself MORE and why won't he have the decency to go ahead and DIE anyway?

Yep, that's our fan base. :rolleyes:

Teague is in a tough spot, especially with the Flip situation. If he answers honestly, he could potentially alienate some key boosters. If he doesn't answer, he leaves everyone to speculate without any factual information.

In a perfect world, I would love to know what the bleep happened, especially with Flip. But, given the reality of the situation, I doubt that anyone will ever know "the truth," unless and until someone writes a book.

Seriously, I do think it would be a fair question to ask if the practice facility was promised as part of the job offer.

Teague is in a tough spot, especially with the Flip situation. If he answers honestly, he could potentially alienate some key boosters. If he doesn't answer, he leaves everyone to speculate without any factual information.

In a perfect world, I would love to know what the bleep happened, especially with Flip. But, given the reality of the situation, I doubt that anyone will ever know "the truth," unless and until someone writes a book.

Seriously, I do think it would be a fair question to ask if the practice facility was promised as part of the job offer.

Good points on the Flip/Teague situation.

Has anyone in here ever been hotly pursued? Because it would be funny if they brought it up.

I kid! Everybody be well.

Aj's Mom's best friend hotly pursued Holly Ellenson

Not sure why Jake got ripped for simply being curious about a few things that I'm sure everyone else is curious about (regardless of whether they want to admit). He never said he thought they'd be answered or that he thought knowing the answers would somehow change anything. I'm happy with the hire, but I'm curious about them not contacting Foster (as well as Ellis, it sounds like). Apparently that's idiotic to some.

Not sure why Jake got ripped for simply being curious about a few things that I'm sure everyone else is curious about (regardless of whether they want to admit). He never said he thought they'd be answered or that he thought knowing the answers would somehow change anything. I'm happy with the hire, but I'm curious about them not contacting Foster (as well as Ellis, it sounds like). Apparently that's idiotic to some.

I think a simple call to Ellis and Foster something like "We think this is the best direction for the program and we'd appreciate if you'd wait to make any decisions until you get a chance to talk to the new coach" could've gone a long way to at least keeping Ellis until Coach Pitino got here.

I think a simple call to Ellis and Foster something like "We think this is the best direction for the program and we'd appreciate if you'd wait to make any decisions until you get a chance to talk to the new coach" could've gone a long way to at least keeping Ellis until Coach Pitino got here.
The two recruits definitely should have gotten a courtesy call from someone in the AD's / basketball office. Also Ellis should have been told that we would like you to talk to Coach Pitino and if you still want your release after that , we will be happy to give it to you then.

Absolutely. I can't get over that. It sounds like Ellis is going to be a very solid player.

There two questions I'd like to hear asked and answered of Mr.Teague. "Did you think that Mr.Pitino would win the Big Ten Title in his first year?" Followed by "Who are you cheering for in tomorrow's Sweet Sixteen match-up, the Gophers or North Carolina?"

I'm willing to wait a year for the answers. Expect to get a "No, but I knew they'd be competitive" to the first question; expect a "No comment" in the second.

Wonder if those question will be allowed by the "Teague Police"....:cool:

Others?

Sit down and be quiet Sid.

Top Bottom