Questions I would like to hear Teague asked at some point

GopherJake

Reaction score
Some of these are obvious, but I would love to see Teague asked these questions DIRECTLY and pressed for an actual answer.

1. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and Fred Hoiberg?

2. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Flip Saunders? If so, what restrictions, if any, did you put on his assistant coach selections?

3. Did you (or anyone in your office) contact the two incoming recruits Foster and Ellis to let them know of the situation and offer to calm their worries?

4. Have you (or anyone in your office) given Richard Pitino any restrictions on his assistant coach selections?

5. Can you please admit to Sid that he was right on the money with his (tactless) question he asked at the Tubby firing news conference about getting your 5th choice?

6. Did you make any promises to Richard Pitino regarding a practice facility?

7. What are the buyout numbers if Richard Pitino is fired?

8. If Richard Pitino leaves for another program, is there any penalty for him?

Others?

The only one I think he would answer is number 3.

The press con should be about the new coach Pitino, not about the other BS. The other questions can be asked a later date. Contract numbers will be made public in due time.

You are an idiot if you think any AD would answer those type questions (other than #3). It has never happened and for good reason.

You are an idiot if you think any AD would answer those type questions (other than #3). It has never happened and for good reason.

I think you could have spared saying that "you are an idiot if" since he did say "at some point". The press conference should be all about the new coach and all about moving Gopher basketball forward. That said I would love to see everyone of Jake's questions answered under truth serum.

Not sure what the big deal is if Pitino truly was our 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th choice. Doesn't matter what choice he was, in the end (just like Tubby) it'll be the results that matter. As I've said before, Bo Ryan was nowhere near Pat Richter's 1st choice at Wisconsin. Turned out to be a da*n good hire (unfortunately) for the Badger athletic program.

The question I'd want to hear Teague answer at the presser tomorrow, with a completely no-BS answer:

What's it like having to deal with Sid Hartman, day in & day out?

I'd guess there are quite a few stories shared inside the Bierman Building about Sid Hartman.

The press con should be about the new coach Pitino, not about the other BS. The other questions can be asked a later date. Contract numbers will be made public in due time.

That's why I said "at some point."

Thanks for the completely unnecessary rip. I never said he would answer any of them. But I think these are questions worth asking and pressing him on to see if you could get anything out of him. You guys didn't like Sid's question, but he was SPOT ON. Does that make you angry that a 105 year old guy was maybe the most perceptive guy at the whole thing? It turns out it was the best question asked at the Tubby firing press conference.

If you haven't made the man uncomfortable at some point, you aren't asking the right questions. Teague hid from the press for 10 days - which I completely endorse. At some point, he should come out of hiding and answer some of these questions. Or at least be asked them.

For my money, the 'moving forward' questions I want answered concern the training facility and the jet. Do the rumors we've heard about those things being a done deal have any basis in truth? What kind of a timetable are we talking about for either or both? Is it possible and lawful to paint an angry Goldy Gopher on the nose of said aircraft?

I'd like to know the answers to those questions, but many of them are things that will never be answered and even if they are, you might not be able to 100% believe the answers.

That's why I said "at some point."

Thanks for the completely unnecessary rip. I never said he would answer any of them. But I think these are questions worth asking and pressing him on to see if you could get anything out of him. You guys didn't like Sid's question, but he was SPOT ON. Does that make you angry that a 105 year old guy was maybe the most perceptive guy at the whole thing? It turns out it was the best question asked at the Tubby firing press conference.

If you haven't made the man uncomfortable at some point, you aren't asking the right questions. Teague hid from the press for 10 days - which I completely endorse. At some point, he should come out of hiding and answer some of these questions. Or at least be asked them.

I said you are an idiot if you think he'd ever answer any questions like that. Go ahead and ask them, he will never answer them. It would completely undermine Pitino's tenure here. And it's pointless to even worry about what the answers would be. Only people that want to find reasons to rip Norwood, the administration and Pitino will clamor for those answers... with Sid and Fat Pat leading the way with their pitchforks and torches.

All of those questions will become moot issues after a couple of years of success under OUR new Coach Pitino.

No one in the Biochemistry department gets drilled like that. The future is ours to get after, let's get after it.

Give it some time. Let Sid pout for a little bit. He'll be kissing the new coach's backside when he deems it's time.

Give it some time. Let Sid pout for a little bit. He'll be kissing the new coach's backside when he deems it's time.

Let Sid kiss that, I will take good care of Jennifer Love Hewitt and Kate Upton.

None of our business. He was hired to find a coach and he did. Sausage is messy and it is how it tastes that counts

I am not sure why the answers to most of these questions matter. Let's assume Smart and Sevens were offered but decided against accepting. So what?
Let's assume Saunders was offered and one condition is that Ryan could not be an assistant because of the appearance of nepotism. So what?
Sid's cynical question about getting the 5th choice was right - so what?
Was Alford UCLA's first choice (maybe - I don't really know)?

Do you want to fire Teague because he didn't get his first choices? I guess I don't understand what the point is.

What if Teague really thought he could get a Smart or a Stevens but when the choice was presented to them they decided they wanted to stay where they were? Should Teague have kept Tubby because there was a non-zero chance he might not get any of his first few choices?

Should Teague be fired because he didn't want another father/son coaching combo?

We'll have answers for 7 & 8 when a contract is finalized (which could be very soon, or could be many months away). The rest of the questions are INAPPROPRIATE & HURTFUL!

Although I think we'll hear about 6 - not what was "promised", but that the U is "committed" to trying to make it happen.

Some of these are obvious, but I would love to see Teague asked these questions DIRECTLY and pressed for an actual answer.

1. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens and Fred Hoiberg?

2. Did you (or anyone in your office) offer the job to Flip Saunders? If so, what restrictions, if any, did you put on his assistant coach selections?

3. Did you (or anyone in your office) contact the two incoming recruits Foster and Ellis to let them know of the situation and offer to calm their worries?

4. Have you (or anyone in your office) given Richard Pitino any restrictions on his assistant coach selections?

5. Can you please admit to Sid that he was right on the money with his (tactless) question he asked at the Tubby firing news conference about getting your 5th choice?

6. Did you make any promises to Richard Pitino regarding a practice facility?

7. What are the buyout numbers if Richard Pitino is fired?

8. If Richard Pitino leaves for another program, is there any penalty for him?

Others?

Why do you care at this point?

We'll have answers for 7 & 8 when a contract is finalized (which could be very soon, or could be many months away). The rest of the questions are INAPPROPRIATE & HURTFUL!

Although I think we'll hear about 6 - not what was "promised", but that the U is "committed" to trying to make it happen.

Mid April is when they are supposed to hear more information on the Facilities plan. I would assume shortly thereafter it would be released to the public.

I am not sure why the answers to most of these questions matter. Let's assume Smart and Sevens were offered but decided against accepting. So what?
Let's assume Saunders was offered and one condition is that Ryan could not be an assistant because of the appearance of nepotism. So what?

Do you want to fire Teague because he didn't get his first choices? I guess I don't understand what the point is.

What if Teague really thought he could get a Smart or a Stevens but when the choice was presented to them they decided they wanted to stay where they were? Should Teague have kept Tubby because there was a non-zero chance he might not get any of his first few choices?

Should Teague be fired because he didn't want another father/son coaching combo?

i think it would only really matter to the big donors. my wife and i donate $1000.00 every year to the athletic department. i know its not much but im a teacher. i dont like the idea that our yearly donation is possibly put towards buyouts instead of other things---obviously im not saying our tiny donation is supporting the buyouts. i dont care to know the answers because our donation isnt a big deal, but i could understand someone that is donating millions, hundreds of thousands, etc would want to know.

the only question i will want to know is, how in the f**k did we lose money on beer? probably the biggest blunder at the U in the last yrs ;)

There seems to be this idea with some fans and media that if you don't get the first or second person that you ask, then somehow the whole process was a failure. Well guess what, there are a lot more than two qualified candidates out there, so really, who cares how many people you've asked? We got a coach in 9 days, which is well within a reasonable amount of time.

Why are they inappropriate? Why are they hurtful?

Regarding the practice facility, it is commonly believed that Tubby was promised (and obviously never received) a practice facility. I am interested in what Pitino was promised in this regard and, as a fan, taxpayer and donor, I feel I have a right to know.

Why do you care at this point?

Can you be more specific?

By the way, I LOVE the hire, FWIW.

Why are they inappropriate? Why are they hurtful?

Can you be more specific?

By the way, I LOVE the hire, FWIW.

Specifically, why do you care about the answers to the questions specific to who we offered, etc.? We never will know the answer, and it (the answer that is) doesn't matter.

Perfect and I agree. Move on and move forward. Questions should be when can we expect to see plans for the practice facility, will coach have private Jet service, future...future... future... people.

Specifically, why do you care about the answers to the questions specific to who we offered, etc.? We never will know the answer, and it (the answer that is) doesn't matter.

Curiosity, I guess. Just to see how Teague would handle it. I wouldn't expect him to answer. (Only Mike Tice would answer.) How he answers the question can tell you a lot though.

I am wondering if he would be willing to give anything away regarding dictating assistant coaches as has been heavily rumored, but not confirmed, as far as I've seen.

Teague is a Big Boy. He should be able to handle questions like these to the satisfaction of a fan base that he shut out (rightfully so) during the process. That's my opinion.

the only question i will want to know is, how in the f**k did we lose money on beer? probably the biggest blunder at the U in the last yrs ;)

Haha. Like getting frostbite in the Bahamas, what seems to be impossible is done at the U of M.

Top Bottom