Question on bowl game airfare

CP Gopher

Reaction score
Can any experienced bowlers help me out?
I'm hoping to go to Phoenix or San Antonio should the Gophers end up at either.
Right now airfares are roughly $400.
Will there be cheaper airfares once our bowl destination is announced?
I went to Nashville for the Alabama (Music City Bowl) game a few years ago, and I seem to remember the price dropped when the bowls were announced, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Also, what was the ticket availability (scalpers) outside Sun Devil stadium last year for the Kansas game? I'd rather pay $10 to get in rather than $50.
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Can any experienced bowlers help me out?
I'm hoping to go to Phoenix or San Antonio should the Gophers end up at either.
Right now airfares are roughly $400.
Will there be cheaper airfares once our bowl destination is announced?
I went to Nashville for the Alabama (Music City Bowl) game a few years ago, and I seem to remember the price dropped when the bowls were announced, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Also, what was the ticket availability (scalpers) outside Sun Devil stadium last year for the Kansas game? I'd rather pay $10 to get in rather than $50.
Thanks for any help or suggestions!

CP - I know last year, we were monitoring flights for about a month, and I recall, the flights were the cheapest before the bowl was announces (since there was not a lot of demand). We didn't want to take the chance that we weren't going to Phoenix, so we passed, and the cost went up.

I would almost think if flights are $400 now, a package deal that is announced after the bowl is determined, will be the best option.

I'm going to Phoenix on 12/26 & returning on 1/2 & going to the Insight Bowl regardless if it's Minnesota or Michigan State.

I remember in 2006, the flights were pretty ridiculous to Phoenix, couldn't find anything cheaper than $500-$600, especially after the Insight Bowl was announced as the Gophers' destination. And they always tend to be that way and seem to be even more as you get closer to the bowl date. We were able to get ours for $370/each, but that was back in mid-September.

I don't think flights will go down that much. MSP flights to other warm destinations are usually reasonable, but to Phoenix for some reason, they tend to stay up. If you find a price you feel is reasonable, I'd take it.

As for the ticket question, I know it seems pretty unreasonable to pay the full $63 for a ticket through the U rather than find one on the street before (I found one for the Insight Bowl in 2005 for $20 on the street before, and that was with hometown Arizona State playing in the game at the BOB). But I still think it's the best option to get your tix through the U because of the ticket sales #'s and that you're with Gopher fans. Hopefully the U eventually finds a system where you can somehow pick your seats for a bowl game yet still go through the U. If it's about picking your seats rather than the price, buying a pair of tickets & donating them to the troops is also a great option that helps the U ticket sales & goes to something great.

I remember in 2006, the flights were pretty ridiculous to Phoenix, couldn't find anything cheaper than $500-$600, especially after the Insight Bowl was announced as the Gophers' destination. And they always tend to be that way and seem to be even more as you get closer to the bowl date. We were able to get ours for $370/each, but that was back in mid-September.

I don't think flights will go down that much. MSP flights to other warm destinations are usually reasonable, but to Phoenix for some reason, they tend to stay up. If you find a price you feel is reasonable, I'd take it.

As for the ticket question, I know it seems pretty unreasonable to pay the full $63 for a ticket through the U rather than find one on the street before (I found one for the Insight Bowl in 2005 for $20 on the street before, and that was with hometown Arizona State playing in the game at the BOB). But I still think it's the best option to get your tix through the U because of the ticket sales #'s and that you're with Gopher fans. Hopefully the U eventually finds a system where you can somehow pick your seats for a bowl game yet still go through the U. If it's about picking your seats rather than the price, buying a pair of tickets & donating them to the troops is also a great option that helps the U ticket sales & goes to something great.

Agreed.

Airfare probably won't go down after this weekend. Once you get inside of a month before a scheduled flight, it's tough to find deals. The flights to Phoenix in 2006 were so expensive that we decided to fly into Vegas and drive, so that might be worth looking into.

Definitely buy the game tickets through the U of M. There aren't always many things that we, as fans, can control to boost the program, but getting credit for traveling to bowl games is one of them. It's worth the extra few dollars.

They will probably charge a sur charge on the tickets, just for the privilege of buying from them. Or won't sell them to us unless we buy a season ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2006 we flew into Vegas and drove to Phoenix as well. Was about $200 cheaper per person. It will also give you the option of laying a little cash on the game before hand.

Also agree with the sentiment that if possible, buy your tickets through the University. The Gophers need to develop a reputation as a fanbase that travels well so in the future we don't get picked over.

Top Bottom