QB's

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
I'm kind of scared to open this dialogue up because of the numerous idiots on the board who've got this strange idea that Brewster is purposefully choosing the worst choice for QB in Adam Weber.

But let's assume, that Brewster likes his job and actually starts the guy he thinks is most prepared to play. One thing that I think is interesting with Horton's simplified and straight forward approach is that it actually makes both QB's better. Gray I thought was locked out of a real opportunity to play last year because of the complexity of the scheme. Weber, probably too really :eek:. But now I think they will both settle in and be useful players. I think though that maybe the benefit is more so for Gray than Weber. It allows for his sizeable advantage in skill to shine.

However, it's Weber's job to lose. Will Gray even get the chance. I'm hoping not.

Good topic, although you're right--it has the potential to go off the rails quickly! Anyway, I agree with your basic premise that the offense was too complicated last year for Gray to make any sizable impact. It's also clear now that the whispers we heard last year of his propensity to turn the ball over in practice were probably true, and that this too cut into his playing time. That said, the last sentence of your second paragraph is also true: Gray has a HUGE advantage in raw talent. He's clearly the most dynamic player on our team and it hurts us diehards to think of him wasting away on the bench.

While I think playing Gray is the right thing for his development and for the program (I truly believe our breakout season is 2011, not 2010), I understand why the coaches have played and will continue to play Weber: they want to win and he gives us the best chance to do so right now. Man, it sure is fun to watch Gray run around when he's in there though, isn't it?!

If I remember correctly, Gray was down to Oregon and MN for school choices. He was recruited as a dual-threat Spread offense QB. I wonder what he thinks about us abondoning the Spread? Notice, when he did get in last year it was typically in a Spread formation. Does he regret not going to Oregon (Spread offense) now that Massoli was released? He may have been the starter there this year. If Weber plays well this year, and Gray does not play any QB, does he get passed over again next year in favor of one of the pocket-passer QBs we have on the roster? I see Horton emphasing the running game even more, and we continue to reduce (or do away with) any Spread formations which Fisch kept last year as a hold-over from the previous two-year experiment.

I would imagine(and hope) that we'll keep a lot of the spread aspects from Fisch's offense to better utilize Gray's abilities when he does play.

Gray has a huge upside. When he develops in Horton's system he can have a shot at the NFL that the spread would have never given him. He should feel blessed that the Gopher offensive changed and for the oppotunity to develop in it. He can be a great pro style QB in college. Believing he can only excel as a spread QB is a real dig on him that he doesn't deserve. Clue: he is presently #2 for a reason, not 3 or 4 on the depth chart. Good thoughts schnoodler.

The difference between the two?

Weber is a captain, he was anointed as the QB from day one. He showed one fairly good year, and he ran when the throw was not open. His excapeabilty was very good. But he took a pounding. Since then he has had has throwing motion changed, he was called on to make line calls, and the throws were short, and too often intersecpted. He disappeared in most games under a heavy rush. Without Eric Decker he was lost. The one highlight was last years Michigan State Game. Something clicked, but then it turned right off again. He is basically a 4 year starter with major questions. He is bascially a pocket thrower, does not throw on time consistently, is retisant to pull the ball down and run.

Without a rushing attack that game in game out is putting up 40 rushes and 200 yards the game will be in his hands and ........

Gray is threat. He can run when its called for and punish a defense for sagging. The draw back, he turns the ball over. Ok, but see option one. How many games did Adam Weber kill our chances with a turnover. Pick your game. The point being keep it simple for Gray. And when he throws throw it long, especially off play action. And one thing nobody mentions is Gray running an option series. With Hoese, hopefully Edwards, and Stoudermire.

Make Gray a true wildcard.

Yeah, I think Gray is the future.

I know this won{t happen. But I sort of wish that Gray would use his RS year this year. If Weber stays healthy (knock on wood, but he has been durable), then Gray would still have 3 years to be the man.

AGain, I know it will not happen, as Gray will be useful in spot duty. But it would be nice to have 3 years of him starting instead of 2.

If Gray redshirts then you put him in the same class with Moses and essentially waste the eligibility of one or the other.

I still lean toward Gray. It just seems like he can create more.
I think substituting Weber for Gray when things aren't going well would work better than vice versa.
Let Gray start, and see where it goes.

Let's assume Weber will be the QB all year. How then do we get the best use out of Gray? Does he hold the clipboard all season, or does he will a dual role as a RB/WR and backup QB? I know it isn't part of a Pro offense, but I'd like to see some option with Gray thrown into the mix. Not asking for the triple option, although I am a fan of it. I just think it would add an extra dimension to have an option now and then.

I still don't understand why Gray didn't play in the Illinois and South Dakota State games last year - especially the latter. It simply made no sense that he didn't get a single series in those games after the offense died. Even in a pro-style offense, he can run when the pocket breaks down, a huge extra threat.

M. Gray should redshirt, unless Weber gets hurt. The fact that Weber is still the starting QB after a terrible performance indicates clearly that Gray isn't ready. Save a year of eligibility for him. I know then he is in Moses' class. But I would rather have 2 RS sophs to pick from than a RS soph and a jr.

Everyone says Weber was told not to run, Does anybody actually have proof he was told that? Perhaps they said pick your spots or hang in the pocket longer and go through progressions, but you will not find a coach on any level who tells their QB to never run ever. Where is all of this talk coming from? Weber's last good game as a runner came as a freshman against Wisconsin. Weber has run for 50+ yards in just 7/38 career starts. Let's face it, he is not a running QB. He is a pocket passer who has a little bit of mobility. If the coaches were telling him to pull down the ball and run before finishing his progressions, I would be more concerned than I am about the rumors that they told him not to run. If Weber is running, the gophers have problems. The team is 2-5 when he rushes for 50+ yards in his career. The team is 12-19 when he doesn't. The team is 4-12 when he rushes for over 25 yards. The team is 10-12 when he doesn't run for over 25. You tell me if we want him running.

The staff obviously trust Weber and think he is capable (I hope, if they don't it means Gray is a bust). If he comes out and plays consistently like the good weber, instead of playing inconsistent or consistently like the bad Weber, this team will be very fun to watch this year. I have been as tough as anyone on Weber, but he obviously has the ability to play well. Whether or not he can gain the much needed consistency is what I doubt. If he does, he will salvage my opinion of him (Like that matters).

I haven't seen enough of this offense to determine if it is better for Gray and/or Weber, I just hope it's not too conservative.

I do think that the Dunbar offense is clearly the best of the 3 (without even seeing the Horton offense) for Gray. The lanes that the spread opens up are perfect for a big, fast, quarterback like Gray. The real threat of the run from the QB out of the spread forces some simpler coverages on the back end too.

I agree EG, the only thing is that is true without development. He has the tools t obe very good in a pro style as well. He just can't step in and be as effective at it as he could be in the spread. As others have mentioned, being forced to learn pro style may end up being the best thing that could have happened for the kid.

Top Bottom