QB Controversy?

GopherNation

Reaction score
Thoughts on Leidner? I think he has looked pretty good today, although against W. Illinois.

Could we see a takeover at the QB position or a split QB system coming?

Thoughts on Leidner? I think he has looked pretty good today, although against W. Illinois.

If they keep running the QB so much we are going to have a trio of quarterbacks due to injury.

This is going to be more explosive than Sanchez vs Tebow. ESPN going to be covering this for the entire year. /sarcasm

Like the previous poster said, having a qb carry 10-15 times we seriously have to have all 3 ready to play no joke. How many big hits as Leidner taken today quite a few.

With the two plays that we run, we'll need them both. The two Limegrower plays are:

1) Scandinavian Left.

2) Scandinavian Right.

My thoughts are that they will rest Nelson next week and by the time he is 100% and ready to come back Leidner will have established himself as the starting qb and not let go of it.

I was impressed with Leidner as well. He just seems more relaxed back there compared to Nelson.

Somewhere somehow we have to find a passing game. If Leidner is the man great.

We need to go with our 3 TE set. We have no WRs.

I would be very surprised if Nelson doesn't start, but I'm glad Leidner played well enough to light a fire under Nelson's bum.

Nelson pass to...?

Somewhere somehow we have to find a passing game. If Leidner is the man great.

We need to go with our 3 TE set. We have no WRs.

We seem to have no wide receivers. Maxx Williams is a star, however!
I also believe if Nelson is able he plays.
Also, confident he returns with a hammy tweak.
Don't believe he blew it out.

Although against W. Illinios? Unlv and NMS really was no different. I seem to trust Mitch at throwing the ball but is not as good as a runner. Did we try a pass over 25 yards? We run the qb way too much

I thought all of the passes Leidner threw were pretty simple, except for the 3rd down throw to Engel. That was a nice step up in the pocket and he delivered the football. Besides that I thought he looked shaky in the pocket. I think this is the case of the backup QB being more popular.

Phil can throw.

Let him try.

Leidner looks like the better pure passer to my eye. But I don't get to see them in practice. I thought his passes gave our receivers a lot more chances to make plays than the passes from Nelson normally do. Leidner make poorer decisions on the option read all day though. He kept the ball too much and didn't secure it in the red zone. Those are big mistakes, but he is only a RF.

I thought that Leidner looked good, the team just seemed to respond better with him back there. I'm not sure if he will be starting but he certainly seems to deserve more playing time. As for the WR's, it's kind of hard for them to make a play when the QB's are not even looking for them.

We run the qb way too much

I'm curious as to whether you thought we ran MarQueis too much as well.

Q is 6-4 and about 240lbs. Leidner is 6-4 and about 235. Nelson is what, 6-2, 230? It's not like any of these kids is fragile. I have no idea why so many fans think that running Nelson or Leidner is much worse than running Gray.

Because he could pass down field, Leidner got the offense moving and opened up the running game. I hate to see either QB run so much. Nelson is still under .500 since he started last year - not winnable in the B10.

I simply think whoever is back there needs to focus on being a QB first and a runner 2nd. Watch Johnny Manziel. He stays in the pocket and reads his options. Then he runs. Nelson looks at the first option and if it isn't there then he takes off.

We keep saying that we are waiting to open up the playbook until we play an opponent who isn't garbage. While playing the weak competition, can we close the part of the playbook where our quarterback keeps getting thunked?

Those of you on here who are worried about injuries because our QB's "run too much" crack me up. It is part of the offense. It requires the defense to account for 1 more player. Does Manziel run too much? How about Mariota? Brett Hundley? I could go on and on and on...

Those of you on here who are worried about injuries because our QB's "run too much" crack me up. It is part of the offense. It requires the defense to account for 1 more player. Does Manziel run too much? How about Mariota? Brett Hundley? I could go on and on and on...

Ponder needs to run more...............................and keep going.:rolleyes:

Phil can throw.

Let him try.
Nelson has thrown 193 passes in the last 10 games. He's completed less than 50% of them.

I'd say the first part of your statement is certainly in doubt, and the second part isn't really the problem.

Not to beat a dead horse, but our OL needs to play a lot better for either to be effective. Against these teams our QBs should be sitting back there and picking there spots and here Nelson was sacked twice right off the bat and overall in the three games our OL pass blocking has sucked. Maxx Williams should be getting 10 balls thrown his way each game.

I completely agree. If anything, Phil needs to keep more EARLY in the game to open up the dive later. Mitch keeps a LITTLE too much for my taste, but at least with how much he keeps it, that's been opening up holes for the backs. Getting some snaps in non-mop up time today was really good for Mitch. That will help a lot down the road.

I'll say this: I think that both of our QBs are gamers and are tough kids and are leaders of the program. They are going to do some dumb things and make some bad throws but I think they both have a chance to be good, solid B10 QBs over time. I worry about our OC, however.

Top Bottom