QB competition next year???

Wrong. Not sure why you don’t get it, but having a big-legged kicker against Auburn was worth 7 points. Similarly, having an accurate mid and short-range kicker (seems to be Lantz) is worth a lot. That big-leg scholarship would be worth way more than the running back who is seventh on the depth chart and will never see the field. Glad you are not the coach.

In theory, but yet neither of the scholarship kickers this year could hit the back the end zone on kickoffs, let alone the goal line ....

True Freshman walk-on, playing injured behind a porous OL is to be written off & discarded? By most accounts he was ahead of Morgan this Fall before he got injured. We absolutely want ZA battling for the starting job. Whoever wins the strarting job though, they'll be 1A & 1B in my opinion.

Name them.

aside from the 2016-17 year we have had multiple year starters who hold all the school records. Tanner is no Weber/Leidner....yet. We need to see more tho many of you wanna crown him.
Thank God he's not those guys

I think Tanner will be the starter next year, but one of PJ's big mantras is "change your best". As good as Tanner is, he is almost zero of a run threat. If he was, we'd have beaten Iowa or Wisconsin. In an RPO system, just having 2 of the 3 threats is a lot easier on defenses so there is plenty of room to be better. Not sure if one of the younger guys could bring that element, but that would push Tanner if they did. Not sure Morgan will ever have that and I wonder if we can win a BIG title without that.

Clemson would not have beat Ohio State without Trevor Lawrence's runs. You have to take what the defense gives you and sometimes that's what they give. Tanner makes up for it in accuracy and heart. But if our line struggles to protect and run like in the Iowa and Wisconsin games, that 3rd threat I think could change the game.

The only guy on the roster that seems to have good wheels is Kramer and remains to be seen if he’s anywhere near the passer Morgan is. A real dual threat adds that extra wrinkle and makes the numbers more even but I don’t see a QB like that here or in the pipeline and someone that can do both well is really rare. We don’t have to copy everyone else to have success. PJF was recruiting a couple guys last year - ended up going to TCU and Texas Tech - that seemed to be true dual threats so he does seem to be looking that way. Not sure about Athan?

Speaking of dual threat....Bo Nix is “dual threat.” 5-star, #1 dual threat recruit in the country. But, is he really a dual threat? There are some serious deficiencies in his passing game, so Auburn has to rely mostly on big plays from their RB or YAC off short routes. As the Gophers demonstrated, it’s not that hard to contain a running QB who struggles with accuracy down the field. If I need to choose a QB to win one game, I’m picking Morgan over Nix any day of the week.

I think people really underestimate how effective Morgan is with deception in running RPO plays and play action. Watch some highlights and notice how slow defenses are to react. One of the Penn State players mentioned that after they hired Kirk. They said they couldn’t tell whether it was a run or a pass until it was too late...that every play looked the same, but they were different. Some of the credit goes to Kirk, obviously, but Morgan is the one executing it. Watch some other QBs run RPOs for comparison. His quick release is also a factor.

Can anyone think of a Gophers QB as good as Morgan? Sandy Stevens?

Speaking of dual threat....Bo Nix is “dual threat.” 5-star, #1 dual threat recruit in the country. But, is he really a dual threat? There are some serious deficiencies in his passing game, so Auburn has to rely mostly on big plays from their RB or YAC off short routes. As the Gophers demonstrated, it’s not that hard to contain a running QB who struggles with accuracy down the field. If I need to choose a QB to win one game, I’m picking Morgan over Nix any day of the week.

I think people really underestimate how effective Morgan is with deception in running RPO plays and play action. Watch some highlights and notice how slow defenses are to react. One of the Penn State players mentioned that after they hired Kirk. They said they couldn’t tell whether it was a run or a pass until it was too late...that every play looked the same, but they were different. Some of the credit goes to Kirk, obviously, but Morgan is the one executing it. Watch some other QBs run RPOs for comparison. His quick release is also a factor.
Momma always said “if you can’t beat em, join em”.

Top Bottom