Q&A With Strength Coach Eric Klein: Time for Gophers to Get Bigger, Stronger & Faster

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A With Strength Coach Eric Klein: Time for Gophers to Get Bigger, Stronger & Faster

Q&A With Strength & Conditioning Coach Eric Klein - Time for Gophers to Get Bigger, Stronger and Faster
By Jay Ingber

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/250949?referrer_id=388419

With the Gophers Spring Game complete, Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Eric Klein's busy season is just beginning. There is a saying that football players are made in the off-season, and that is why Klein's role is so critical. The players that left TCF Bank Stadium will be bigger, faster and stronger when they take the field again in August against UNLV in the season opener, and Klein will make sure of it. GopherHole's Jay Ingber caught up with Klein before today's Spring Game.

GH: When August workouts begin, what’s the greatest weakness you see in players?

EK: Well hopefully if I did my job, we’ve covered everything we were supposed to cover so that isn’t a problem. What we need to get our guys ready for is the day-to-day practices, being able to recover in between practices and most of all be sure they’re ready to give it their all at the next practice. We need to make sure our guys are both physically and mentally conditioned enough so they can go 100% on Monday morning and again Monday afternoon or Tuesday. They need to have faith in the plan we have in place to get them into the shape they need to be in. Once they get to camp, that’s when players need to be in game-specific shape.

GH: There’s a lot of high school recruits attending today’s game, talk about some of the challenges incoming freshman face making the transition from high school to college?

EK: It’s definitely another step up, it’s no different than our guys going to the NFL. Coming in from high school, we’ll usually get the best player or one of the best players on the team, then that kid is with a group of guys who were all the best on their team. These guys realize they can’t take the day off, they need to tell themselves, “I can’t take a rep off, I can’t take a play off, I can’t cruise, I can’t coast, I have to go all the time”.

From a training standpoint, just like they’ve learned how to play football, they need to learn what it takes to be a college athlete; they need to learn our playbook in the weight room and in conditioning because our expectations will be different. Our drills and techniques are probably explained differently from what they’ve heard, so they’ll have to be able to make those adjustments.

GH: What role do you play in the recruitment process in terms of evaluating a recruit’s physical condition?

EK: I get to meet all of the recruits that come in and we explain to them what we do in the weight room and our philosophy of how we work. I don’t pull any punches because I want them to know that when you come to Minnesota and work for Jerry Kill or Eric Klein, we expect you to work and you better be prepared to work or else this isn’t the place for you. We lay that out for recruits on their visits and I get a chance to talk to them and make sure that they understand that. I trust the talent level the coaches bring to me in order for me to give them a well-conditioned player on the field.

GH: What do you do as a strength and conditioning coach to give the Gophers the best chance to compete against high caliber Big Ten opponents?

EK: Our nitch has always been that we’re going to be the most conditioned team and we’re going to be the fastest team from top to bottom. There may be teams out there who have individual players who are faster than ours, but as a group, our team speed should be unmatched with any other team in the conference.

I always love the spot light on strength and conditioning. Thank you! The one thing most fans do not understand is Coach Klein spends more time with the players than anyone. And with the spring game over, the summer conditioning, 7 on 7 drills, are under his prevue.

I always love the spot light on strength and conditioning. Thank you! The one thing most fans do not understand is Coach Klein spends more time with the players than anyone. And with the spring game over, the summer conditioning, 7 on 7 drills, are under his prevue.

Did you see in one of the spring practice threads that it was mentioned that a player had the fastest 10 yard time?

When I read that I smiled and thought I bet Husker loves that.

BTW Did any of the Sibley East guys get a look by any schools? I thought two or three could have been preferred walk-ons.

The beast at Sibley East is Nathan Rose, a Junior. He is an undefeated wrestler. He currently is something like 90-0. He wrestles at 198 but will jump up to 220 occasionally allowing a teammate a shot at 198. The football coach is already pleading with him to play next year, but he spends his summers on the East Coast in some AAU Tourneys. Talking with him he has an offer from Iowa, hoping to hear from the Gophers after June 1st. I don't think he will play football next year and if Coach Robinson offers, he would love to wrestle for The Gophers. Problem is he would like to Wrestle for Penn State, Oklahoma State, Iowa.

Top Bottom