Q&A: Washburn Sophomore RB Jeffrey Jones Reacts to Gophers Scholarship Offer

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sophomore RB Jeffrey Jones Reacts to Gophers Scholarship Offer
The Washburn RB received a rare scholarship offer as a sophomore.
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/125930?referrer_id=388419

Jeffrey Jones, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound sophomore running back from Minneapolis Washburn who is one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2014, receiver a scholarship offer from Minnesota this past weekend. The two-sport standout attended the Minnesota Junior Day and their Friday Night Camp Under The Lights. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Monday afternoon to learn the latest on the recent offer and his recruitment

Jones rushed for 1415 yards on 142 carries and had 26 touchdowns. He shined in the postseason as he rushed 57 times for 529 yards and eight scores in three playoff contests. Jones gained over 100 yards on the ground in eight of ten games as the Millers finished 7-3 as they lost in the Section2AAA finals for the second year, falling to Holy Family Catholic 49-31.

Jones is splitting time between the junior varsity and varsity for the Millers’ basketball team this season after having had a strong spring for the Minnesota Heat 15’s Select AAU program and playing for 43 Hoops in July.

Washburn running back coach Michael Grant thinks that Jones has plenty of strengths as a rusher.

“His power and his explosiveness are the two things that I see that are number one and two,” said Grant. “He will run through you and around you at the same time. He has the ability to mix in both and he uses those as his strengths in the situation that he is in.”

Grant feels that Jones is working hard to improve himself as a player.

“He can work on his blocking technique from time to time,” said Grant. “Catching the ball, he is great and awareness of where guys are and helping out. He’ll do that, but just his effectiveness as far as his technique of blocking of how he gets it done can be improved, but he is only a sophomore.”

Grant thinks that Jones has the speed to play at a high college level.

“He got it,” said Grant. “He’s there. Every year, I’ve seen it so far; freshman year, sophomore year. He is getting faster, bigger, stronger. He runs track during the offseason, so he is going to be the guy right there. He’ll be a 4.4 kid by his senior year.”

Grant feels that Jones compares favorable to former De LaSalle and Iowa State running back Alexander Robinson, who he coached in high school.

“As a sophomore, he (Jones) is more physical,” said Grant. “He has the skills that Alexander had. Alexander has a senior really developed himself in that fashion, so you could really see the difference from his senior year. Jeff is kind of close to that right now, so to be there as a sophomore going into his junior year, compared to his senior year, that is huge.”

GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Monday afternoon to learn the latest on the recent offer and his recruitment

GH: You recently received an offer from the Gophers. When did you hear from them?

Jeffrey Jones: I heard Saturday morning. My coach called me and asked about my basketball game on Friday and said congratulations on my first official offer from Minnesota.

GH: In football, they don’t often offer sophomores. Were you surprised or caught off guard a little bit?

Jeffrey Jones: I was caught off guard. I was excited. I just really want to thank Coach Kill for respecting my hard work and my dedication to the field and giving me an opportunity as a sophomore.

GH: What was the reaction from your family and friends?

Jeffrey Jones: They were so excited for me. They were all so proud of me and how I had worked so hard. I’m just glad to see that it pays off.

GH: Have you talked to the Gopher coaches since the offer?

Jeffrey Jones: I can’t really have much contact with them, just because I am sophomore. They came here Friday and I bumped into them in the hall and said a few words and that was the most that we talked so far besides the camps this summer.

GH: I know that you are busy with basketball, but what things are you working on to improve yourself as a football player?

Jeffrey Jones: I have been trying to stretch and be more flexible to be able to take more hits and be in the weight room to prevent a lot of injuries.

GH: What other schools are you hearing from?

Jeffrey Jones: I have gotten letters from Oregon and Boise State. The last time that I spoke with Iowa State was at their camp this summer. They really liked me. Wisconsin has been asking for film, so I guess that they might be interested.

GH: You had a great sophomore season with over 1,400 yard rushing and 26 touchdowns. How pleased were you with how well you played this season?

Jeffrey Jones: I felt great about the way that I played. My teammates encouraged me all summer to get better and get in the weight room. I had a great line this year, so that was a big part. I had a good quarterback, Tony Ayala, that kept me motivated and kept me going. I am very proud of my team this year and what I accomplished and what they helped me accomplish.

GH: You lose some good seniors like Kyle Hughes, who is going to Eastern Michigan, but you are returning your quarterback and some other talented players. You had made to the section finals the past two years, but I am sure that you would like to go farther next season. What are the expectations for you next year?

Jeffrey Jones: Of course, we would like to go farther. My teammates and I are done with settling for second place. A lot of my friends are having their senior year, so I guess that we are headed to the state tournament. We have a good team and a lot of players coming back, so we should be fine with what we have.

GH: Have you talked to some schools about going to Junior days next season?

Jeffrey Jones: Not really. Like I said earlier, we can’t really talk now because I am a sophomore, so I have not had a lot of contact with any coaches.

GH: What so you think about Minnesota? Is that a place you could see yourself going?

Jeffrey Jones: It is a very good place. Every time I go up there to visit or just see the campus, it always feels like home. This is my hometown. I like their style and the way that Coach Kill runs things over there, so it might be in the picture.

GH: Would you see yourself committing there or would you wait awhile?

Jeffrey Jones: I figure that I will wait awhile. I am only a sophomore, so I have got two more years to wait it out.

GH: You recently received an offer from the Gophers. When did you hear from them?

Jeffrey Jones: I heard Saturday morning. My coach called me and asked about my basketball game on Friday and said congratulations on my first official offer from Minnesota.

GH: In football, they don’t often offer sophomores. Were you surprised or caught off guard a little bit?

Jeffrey Jones: I was caught off guard. I was excited. I just really want to thank Coach Kill for respecting my hard work and my dedication to the field and giving me an opportunity as a sophomore.

GH: What was the reaction from your family and friends?

Jeffrey Jones: They were so excited for me. They were all so proud of me and how I had worked so hard. I’m just glad to see that it pays off.

It's great that Kill and the staff were able to get such an early jump on Jones' recruitment. He'll always remember an offer this early.

Love the offer and really like everything I've heard about this kid so far.

I really wish the Minneapolis city conference was in better shape. I feel like a lot of those kids would prefer to play at the U if they had the choice. Who knows, maybe things will turn around.

There's no reason that, Minneapolis and St Paul between them, shouldn't produce 6-8 Div I players between them. If they did it would be a lot easier to win at the U. The big problem isn't in the high schools, it's almost the complete lack of youth football programs, in the cities.

There's no reason that, Minneapolis and St Paul between them, shouldn't produce 6-8 Div I players between them. If they did it would be a lot easier to win at the U. The big problem isn't in the high schools, it's almost the complete lack of youth football programs, in the cities.

They often do.

Those kids just rarely go to Mpls or Saint Paul public schools

We should hope that we get this kid, because he appears to be an athlete named Jones from a metro area HS who the Gophers actually have a chance to sign.

There is youth football in Minneapolis, through the Minneapolis Park System. I don't know how many parks have teams, but Powderhorn Park has a team.

There is youth football in Minneapolis, through the Minneapolis Park System. I don't know how many parks have teams, but Powderhorn Park has a team.

Yeah, there is youth football in Saint Paul as well. These kids don't appear to be from Mpls (at the HS level) because the best athletes often end up at schools outside the inner city public school system.

The Minneapolis Park System is a joke for sports. I played football, baseball and basketball for Pearl Park. It's fun and constructive, but certainly doesn't prepare you for real high school ball. The really good high school programs implement mini-programs in the youth ranks. You just can't do that geographically with the Minneapolis Park System. I think the system as a whole is a great, great thing, but it doesn't allow you to have any sort of continuity.

By the way, it was absolutely terrifying to go against Powderhorn

In south Minneapolis, Pearl Park has at least a hundred kids playing football, Mcrae probably does too. I'm sure there are others. It isn't lack of interest at the youth level. Why there arn't more highly skilled players coming out of the city HS conferences, I'm not sure, but Bob has a point that a lot of city kids are playing for non city high schools.

Yeah, there is youth football in Saint Paul as well.

Who are we? JIMMY LEE. Never played them in football, but had to go against Jimmy Lee in basketball - what a nightmare. If you want to see something funny, search the interwebs for Joe Mauer + Jimmy Lee

randmid_1268320569_Joe_Mauer_with_Jimmy_Lee_team.jpg

The Minneapolis Park System is a joke for sports. I played football, baseball and basketball for Pearl Park. It's fun and constructive, but certainly doesn't prepare you for real high school ball. The really good high school programs implement mini-programs in the youth ranks. You just can't do that geographically with the Minneapolis Park System. I think the system as a whole is a great, great thing, but it doesn't allow you to have any sort of continuity.

I 100 percent agree. It's more of an in house system. I grew up playing for Pearl Park and we'd play against EP and Prior Lake, and it just really seemed like those kids were better prepared to play. (we still whooped up on Prior Lake though, sissys)

If you go to any of the big time football recruiting areas, and look at the youth football programs, you'll see the difference. Where in Minneapolis a rec center will field one team, in the big football hotbeds, an equivalent rec center, will have it's own leauge with 4 to six teams. I know there are some youth programs but no where near enough.

In south Minneapolis, Pearl Park has at least a hundred kids playing football, Mcrae probably does too. I'm sure there are others. It isn't lack of interest at the youth level. Why there arn't more highly skilled players coming out of the city HS conferences, I'm not sure, but Bob has a point that a lot of city kids are playing for non city high schools.

With No Child Left Behind, schools the continue to miss their academic performance benchmarks have to "free up" the kids and a lot of those kids are making their way into the suburbs, where they are accepted with open arms due to declining enrollment.

With No Child Left Behind, schools the continue to miss their academic performance benchmarks have to "free up" the kids and a lot of those kids are making their way into the suburbs, where they are accepted with open arms due to declining enrollment.

It's that, open enrollment, and the private schools.

I played soccer, basketball and baseball for McCrae and Pearl. A lot of fun, but like you said, no continuity. It was when I got to 7th grade that I learned it was normal to stay with the same kids year after year, and kids that are serious about sports do club/traveling. A lot of fun, but I agree with the lack of continuity.

Playing basketball against Martin Luther King park was always terrifying for us! I remember losing those games something like 80 to 30 when they would full court press the entire game.

It's that, open enrollment, and the private schools.

Kids have to sit out a year with open enrollment (at least the Legislature passed something to that effect a year or so back). That may have been repealed though.

Kids have to sit out a year with open enrollment (at least the Legislature passed something to that effect a year or so back). That may have been repealed though.
I believe the rule is if they transfer under open enrollment after they start 9th grade.

They have to sit out in that instance, correct?
Yes, you would have to sit out one year. Only way around it is if your family moves to new school boundaries. If you transfer under open enrollment you have to sit out a year of varsity ball. You could still play JV though.

They have to sit out in that instance, correct?
That's my understanding but I haven't kept up since my daughter started at the U. What I remember is that transfers after ninth grade you have to sit a year unless your residence changed. If a kid in Mpls wanted to play for Hopkins he had to use Open Enrollment in ninth grade. I think the rule was adopted after St Paul Central used open enrollment to field a girls basketball team with 5 Div I players.

Thanks guys, I wasn't trying to get so far off of the OP. I've seen Jones play and he definitely has the body of a D 1 football player, even as a sophomore.

I don't know how much this will change for football but since the discussion has moved to the subject of open enrollment. It's changing, at least for the Mpls schools. You now have to go to your neighborhood high school, unless you can document a reason for going to another city school. I only know this because my godson is in 8th grade and his parents are trying to come up with viable reasons not to send him to Roosevelt.

Thanks guys, I wasn't trying to get so far off of the OP. I've seen Jones play and he definitely has the body of a D 1 football player, even as a sophomore.

I don't know how much this will change for football but since the discussion has moved to the subject of open enrollment. It's changing, at least for the Mpls schools. You now have to go to your neighborhood high school, unless you can document a reason for going to another city school. I only know this because my godson is in 8th grade and his parents are trying to come up with viable reasons not to send him to Roosevelt.

I think they might just be getting too worried about the form you have to fill out. It's entirely up to the school that is accepting the kid, and they have $$ incentive to do so. I could be entirely wrong, but open enrollment is still alive and strong in the Mpls public school system, and I thought it was still relatively easy. I think they just have to fill out that form with whatever school they want to send their son and as long as that school isn't already full, there shouldn't be a problem. If they are looking for a reason, tell them to look at the AP classes available at Roosevelt compared to wherever they are looking to go.

I think they might just be getting too worried about the form you have to fill out. It's entirely up to the school that is accepting the kid, and they have $$ incentive to do so. I could be entirely wrong, but open enrollment is still alive and strong in the Mpls public school system, and I thought it was still relatively easy. I think they just have to fill out that form with whatever school they want to send their son and as long as that school isn't already full, there shouldn't be a problem. If they are looking for a reason, tell them to look at the AP classes available at Roosevelt compared to wherever they are looking to go.

That's an interesting thought. Thanks Bob. I'm the first to admit I don't know much about it, it's only what I've heard through the grapevine. My godson wants to play varsity football and Roosevelt didn't have the numbers this year to field a varsity squad. Which is insane to me.

That's an interesting thought. Thanks Bob. I'm the first to admit I don't know much about it, it's only what I've heard through the grapevine. My godson wants to play varsity football and Roosevelt didn't have the numbers this year to field a varsity squad. Which is insane to me.

Yeah, i'm not 100% sure either. Maybe the rule is amongst the different Minneapolis schools?

Yeah, that is completely insane.

Jeff Jones Offer

what do you guys think of the new offer to the jones kid from washburn? seems like he runs pretty hard and has some good vision in his freshman film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRaf6qiNpk surprised when cKill offered a sophomore, though. anyone know how his season went this year? just want to get your guys' thoughts and get a gauge on this young, talented prospect. the sky could be the limit for him as he possesses great size already (6'0, 190).

He reminds me a bit of Thomas Tapeh...

He looks super talented.

He's got some short quick strides. Also uses the outside very well and can lower his pads for the extra yardage. Quick juke move also.

Top Bottom