Q&A: Texas LB Everett Williams On Why He Committed to Gophers, Family Reaction & More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Texas LB Everett Williams On Why He Committed to Gophers, Family Reaction & More

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/295621?referrer_id=388419

Everett Williams, a 6-foot-2, 222-pound outside linebacker from Mansfield (TX) Legacy, committed to Minnesota on Monday, celebrating his 18th birthday. Williams visited Minnesota for the San Jose State game. He picked the Golden Gophers over Navy, Louisiana-Monroe and New Mexico State.

Gopher Hole caught up with Williams to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota on your birthday. What was more special, the commitment or the birthday?

Everett Williams: I don’t know. They both went hand in hand. I like it

Gopher Hole: When did you decide that you wanted to commit to Minnesota?

Everett Williams: I had been thinking about doing it on my birthday for awhile now.

Gopher Hole: What made you decide that Monday was the day you wanted to commit?

Everett Williams: After my visit, I liked the coaches and all that. I liked being around the players and I felt that I would fit in.

Gopher Hole: I know talking to some of the Gopher coaches, they think that you are a guy that is under the radar, Is that what you think, that you are better than some of the offers that you have received?

Everett Williams: Yes, sir. That is what I think it is.

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from some schools since you committed?

Everett Williams: Not yet, really.

Gopher Hole: I know that you had offers from Navy, Louisiana-Monroe and New Mexico State. Any other offers or just those three besides Minnesota?

Everett Williams: Those three.

Gopher Hole: Are you still thinking about visiting some schools or have you thought about that?

Everett Williams: Probably later on. Probably not during the season, but later on, I might end up taking a couple more visits, but as of now, I am not scheduled to take any.

Gopher Hole: Where do you think that you would maybe go?

Everett Williams: I don’t know yet.

Gopher Hole: How is the season going for you so far?

Everett Williams: It is going good. We are 4-0 for the first time and 1-0 in district.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? How pleased are you with how you are doing?

Everett Williams: I think that I have been doing good. I have scored three times on defense, which is pretty cool so far and I feel like I have been getting better and better each week and I feel like this is the best season that I have had so far.

Gopher Hole: How did you score? Where they fumbles or interceptions or both?

Everett Williams: I had an interception in the first game and I had two fumble recoveries for touchdowns in this past game.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to go to the coaches and say ‘Hey, you need to get me on the offensive side. I know where the end zone is.”

Everett Williams: No. Defense it is.

Gopher Hole: Have you ever played offense?

Everett Williams: I play offense a little bit now. They put me in at tight end sometimes.

Gopher Hole: Mostly as a blocker or would you ever catch a pass?

Everett Williams: Blocker. Sometimes they throw me a pass every now and then, too. It just depends.

Gopher Hole: How many catches do you have this year?

Everett Williams: I haven’t caught none yet. I haven’t got much playing time at tight end. We have a junior tight end who plays there. It is a special set where I come in and there are two tight ends for us.

Gopher Hole: Is that an end zone deal or short yardage situation?

Everett Williams: It is anywhere on the field. We have another jumbo package where I go in and we have three running backs.

Gopher Hole: What was it about Minnesota that you liked so much during your visit?

Everett Williams: The people. I liked how the people treated me out there. I had fun.

Gopher Hole: Demaris Peppers was your host. I know that he is only a freshman, but what did he tell you about Minnesota?

Everett Williams: He said that he liked it. He said that you just have to get used to the college schedule and then you’ll be good. He says that it is a lot of work, but it is worth it.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do when you were up to Minnesota?

Everett Williams: I got to tour the locker room and stuff. The campus and the stadium. I liked all of them.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch Minnesota against Iowa last weekend and will you watch them against Michigan this Saturday?

Everett Williams: I’ll probably watch them this upcoming week. I didn’t get to watch the full game last week.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but does it feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders and now you can just focus on your senior season?

Everett Williams: A little bit, but not much. It just feels normal to me. I guess that it really hasn’t hit me yet.

Gopher Hole: What was the reaction from your friends and family when you announced that you were coming to Minnesota?

Everett Williams: They pretty much already knew. I told them that I was going to commit on my birthday, so they expected it, but they were still happy for me.

Top Bottom