Q&A: Stillwater Junior Max Shikenjanski Shows That He Is More Than Just A Former Gophers’ Son

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Stillwater Junior Max Shikenjanski Shows That He Is More Than Just A Former Gophers’ Son​

By Chris Monter

Max Shikenjanski, a 6-foot-2 junior guard from Stillwater (MN) High, is one of the top scorers in the state. He is also a familiar name to local basketball fans as his father, Jim Shikenjanski played at Minnesota from 1986-90.

Shikenjanski is averaging 29.7 points per game for the 9-7 Ponies. He has scored in double figures in all 16 games with four games of more than 40 points, including 45 in the season opener versus Blaine and four more games of 30 to 39 points.

Shikenjanski averaged 24.2 points per game as a sophomore. He scored in double figures in all 17 of 19 games with five games of more than 30 points, including 49 versus Cretin-Derham Hall.

Shikenjanski averaged 16.8 points per game as a freshman. He scored in double figures in 22 of 27 games, including 33 versus Forest Lake.

Shikenjanski also plays football as a quarterback and baseball.

GopherHole recently caught up with Shikenjanski after their game versus Cretin-Derham Hall to learn the latest on his college recruitment, his love of Minnesota and junior year.

Gopher Hole: You played very well tonight. Obviously, a lot of teams are going to try to slow you down as much as they can. They double teamed you a lot. Is that hard to get used to or have you gotten used to it already?

Max Shikenjanski: I’ve definitely gotten used to it with playing last year and teams trying to face guard. Double teaming is a little new, but I’ve gotten used to it over the past few games, because that’s what every teams game plan is to do, come double team me and get it out of my hands.

GopherHole: You scored 49 points against them last year, so I’m sure that they remembered that?

Max Shikenjanski: Oh, yeah.

GopherHole: How pleased are you with how well you’ve played so far this year?

Max Shikenjanski: Definitely very pleased. I do everything I can to make our team win. Points just come with it. Assists, Rebounds. All that, at the end of the day, it’s about wins, but I’m definitely very happy with how I played so far.

GopherHole: You recently become Stillwater’s all-time leading scorer. You had a great game, individually, against Roseville, but you also hit the game-winning shot. What was that experience like, not only becoming the all-time leading scorer after scoring 41 points, but hitting the big shot to win the game?

Max Shikenjanski: It was great. It was like the night was lined up. Breaking the all-time record is something that I dreamed about. I told the guy who had it, who is actually our assistant coach, in eighth grade that I would break the record, so it was great that it ended with a buzzer beater to end the game. It was one of the best nights of my life and a night I’ll remember forever.

GopherHole: What schools are you hearing from right now for basketball?

Max Shikenjanski: I’m hearing a lot from St. Thomas. North Dakota. I’ve heard from South Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha and Appalachian State.

GopherHole: You were at the St. Thomas game the other day, right?

Max Shikenjanski: I was at the one versus Oral Roberts and the one they played against South Dakota State. Princeton and Davidson reached out the other day. Other schools have reached out, but not as much contact.

GopherHole: You wear the number 45. What is it like to wear the same number that your dad wore?

Max Shikenjanski: It’s great. I switched over to 45, because of him. I wouldn’t be here where I’m at without him, so I think it’s great. I think he loves it, too, that I switched over to his number. Hopefully, a lot of people realize that I switched to 45 because of that.

GopherHole: What is it like having him as your dad? He came here from Illinois, had a great college career. What is it like to have him as your dad and mentor?

Max Shikenjanski: It’s great. He knows a ton about basketball. He helps me through everything. He teaches me everything. Like I said, I wouldn’t be where I’m at without him. He knows everything about basketball. Not everything, but he knows a lot about basketball. He definitely helps me a lot. I love having him as a coach. It’s just more time with my dad.

GopherHole: You are 6-foot-2. He was 6-foot-9. Do you think that you continue to grow a little bit more to get closer to that?

Max Shikenjanski: My mom is 5-3, but I have a brother who is 18 and about 6-8. I hope to get a few more inches. 6-4 or even 6-3 as a point guard would be pretty nice.

GopherHole: You are only a junior, but what would it mean to play college basketball?

Max Shikenjanski: That’s what I dreamed about as a kid. I would love to do it. That’s my goal right now. I’d love a chance anywhere to play. I’m definitely looking to continue basketball in college.

GopherHole: You also had a very good year as a quarterback for Stillwater. I think I saw on Twitter that you are going to Northern Illinois for their Junior Day?

Max Shikenjanski: I’m thinking about it. I think it’s this Sunday, so I need to talk to my parents, but I definitely hope to go down there sometime.

GopherHole: Are you hearing from many schools for football yet?

Max Shikenjanski: I’ve heard from Minnesota, North Dakota State, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, North Dakota and South Dakota.

GopherHole: Would you even think about playing football in college?

Max Shikenjanski: It depends where the opportunities are at, but I like to focus on what’s in season, so right now, my mind’s on basketball, but I’d definitely take an opportunity to play football.

GopherHole: Unfortunately, once you get to that college level, it is kind of tough to do both, because of the timing and you could be playing football until December or January?

Max Shikenjanski: I definitely have to pick one or the other. It’s going to be a hard decision, but whatever the best opportunity is at, wherever I feel wanted the most. Wherever I fit in the best, is where I’m going to go.

GopherHole: You also play baseball. Do you just love all three sports?

Max Shikenjanski: Baseball I wouldn’t say it is my least favorite, but my lowest sport. I play AAU (basketball) as well. I’m always choosing AAU over baseball. I wouldn’t miss any AAU with all that. Baseball, I really just play to play with friends, because I have played my whole life. I still really enjoy it, but it is definitely a thing that I play just to play with friends.

GopherHole: Have you had a chance to go to many college football or college basketball games this year? I know that is tough playing multiple sports.

Max Shikenjanski: For sure. I was down on a recruitment trip down for the Gophers. I was at the Wisconsin game and the one versus Maryland. I was at Northern Iowa when they played Western Illinois and I am going on a recruiting trip to North Dakota in the next few months.

GopherHole: What are you hearing from the homestate school, Minnesota?

Max Shikenjanski: I haven’t heard much. I talked to Coach Thorson a little bit. I reached out to him. He said they are still working on 2022’s. Hoping to hear back from them a little more and Coach Johnson. I’m loving what they are doing up there at Minnesota.

GopherHole: What has your impression been of the Gophers? To be honest, a lot of people weren’t sure how well they would do, but they have overachieved,

Max Shikenjanski: I’ve been to a few games. They are super fun to watch. I went to the game that other day against Rutgers. I love what Coach Johnson is doing. They are taking from a team that was picked to be in the bottom of the Big Ten, they are winning games, even with people that are sick. People that are out. He is doing a very good job of coaching. I’m loving what I see.

GopherHole: If Minnesota were to recruit you and offer you, what would it mean to maybe have the chance to play for the homestate school?

Max Shikenjanski: It would mean a ton. That has always been my dream, even to play college basketball, but especially for the Gophers, where my dad played. I know that he would love it and I would love it. It would be very cool, but I’d love to play anywhere who gives me a chance. Just playing the sport in college would be a dream.

GopherHole: Do you see a lot of his highlights or videos?

Max Shikenjanski: I have. A lot of it. There’s not many games, but there are a few games on YouTube that I have watched over the years, like his Elite Eight game. It is tough to watch the posts and kind of learn from it, but I watch it for entertainment.

GopherHole: What do you think?

Max Shikenjanski: He’s all right. He’s pretty good. It’s fun to watch.

Is this guy expected to perform in the B1G? If so, it looks like he's the Gopher's recruit to lose.

Sounds like he is hearing more from the Gophers for football at this point.

Hoops wise I would say walk-on. The kid can score and competes hard. He has one of the funkiest shots you will see but it goes in… hard to tell if he is right or left handed when he shoots..

Loved Shik!!

I’m guessing Little Shik will get PWO offer but will end up taking low D1 offer.

Foster Loyer at 6'0" averaged 26 and 25 points as a senior then junior in Michigan before going on to Michigan State to average 4.2 points in his best of three years. Max is already two inches taller and puts up 26 as a junior. Both players play in the highest class in their respective states.

Foster Loyer at 6'0" averaged 26 and 25 points as a senior then junior in Michigan before going on to Michigan State to average 4.2 points in his best of three years. Max is already two inches taller and puts up 26 as a junior. Both players play in the highest class in their respective states.
This is absolutely irrelevant.

I swear, used up about 20 minutes trying to do six degrees of seperation on it.
I am blown away by that analysis. In the worst possible way.

Because player A was shorter and scored similarly in a different way, player B will be the same? or different? I just don't know.

He really has that feel of a guy that'll go to North Dakota and score 20 PPG. I actually like his game. It's weird but I think he'll be able to score at the next level. I haven't seen enough of him to say he'll be able to actually be a lead guard.

all I know is, if my dad was 6'9" and I was only 6'2", I would be ticked off.

(FWIW, my dad was about 5'10" and I am 5'6" - but my mom is just over 5' tall, and I definitely got my genetics from her side of the family...)

all I know is, if my dad was 6'9" and I was only 6'2", I would be ticked off.
(FWIW, my dad was about 5'10" and I am 5'6" - but my mom is just over 5' tall, and I definitely got my genetics from her side of the family...)
Jim married someone who is about 5'.

Top Bottom