Q&A: Roseville QB Jacques Perra Has Gophers PWO Offer; Visits Minnesota This Week

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Roseville QB Jacques Perra Has Gophers PWO Offer; Will Visit Minnesota This Weekend
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/334977?referrer_id=388419

Jacque Perra, a 6-3, 210-pound senior quarterback from Roseville (MN) High, was considered the top signal caller in the state. Perra helped lead the Raiders to a 9-3 record, losing to Rosemount in the Class AAAAAA semifinals. Perra will visit Minnesota this weekend, which is suddenly a QB down after the transfer of Phillip Nelson.

Perra was named the Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year and was the St. Paul Pioneer Press Player of the Year. He completed 60.7% of his passes for 3191 yards and 35 touchdowns. Perra had 380 rushing yards and also averaged 37.1 yards per punt. He finished his career with 6967 yards with 63 career scores and ten career rushing touchdowns.

Perra was chosen as a three-time All-Suburban East Conference and was Suburban East Conference MVP. He was named to the Associated Press and Minnesota Vikings All-State teams.

Perra talked to Gopher Hole about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You have received some nice honors lately as you were named the Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year and the St. Paul Pioneer Press Player of the Year and were one of the ten finalists for the Mr. Football award. How pleased were you with some of the individual award that you have received?

Jacques Perra: I am really pleased. I have had my fair share of awards, I guess, so it was nice to see Jeff (Jones), I have known Jeff for quite awhile, to get this award. He deserves it a lot, so I think that it is good that he won it.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now? Where do things stand? I know that the Gophers offered you a preferred walk-on opportunity.

Jacques Perra: They offered me that at the end of the summer and I am kind of interested in that, but some of the smaller Division I schools like South Dakota State and Northern Iowa and I am starting to hear from some bigger schools like Northwestern just e-mailed me the other day. They want to see my transcript and grades. That is nice. My coach is reaching out to some other coaches that he has known for awhile.

Gopher Hole: How is the shoulder? I saw you wearing the sling earlier?

Jacques Perra: It is fine. I had surgery on it because it has been getting dislocated quite a bit this season, but I'll be fine for spring ball. It is no big deal.

Gopher Hole: When are you going to graduate?

Jacques Perra: My school does trimesters, so I am going to try to graduate after the second trimester.

Gopher Hole: Hopefully, you would be able to attend some of the spring practice, but you just wouldn't be able to participate, right?

Jacques Perra: I'm not sure how that works yet, but I'll have to figure out with that school.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that makes you pick School A over School B or C?

Jacques Perra: Probably how much I feel that they want me instead of me wanting them, so how much they reach out and talk to me and if they offer me or not. I feel like if I go to the "U," I might never play, but it would be a good experience, but if I go to a smaller school like South Dakota State, I have a good chance of starting earlier, so that is probably going to make a big difference.

If the Gophers are smart they do not let him leave without a full ride, and guaranteed playing time. This kid is a bigtime QB. Big arm and mobile. Be nice if they threw an offer out to his favorite receiver Jesper Horsted. 4 years of that tandem and you can forget going to these meaningless bowls where everyone gets in.

If the Gophers are smart they do not let him leave without a full ride, and guaranteed playing time. This kid is a bigtime QB. Big arm and mobile. Be nice if they threw an offer out to his favorite receiver Jesper Horsted. 4 years of that tandem and you can forget going to these meaningless bowls where everyone gets in.

Well, that post certainly sucked.

Wha?

Perra's a good kid, seems like a natural leader type, good intangibles.
Physically he's got really good size, solid strength, speed, athleticism etc.
If the staff thinks his football skills are up to it, I'd be fine with him getting an offer.
If not, then he can consider trying to prove them that he's worth the scholarship.
There will be opportunities available here for a QB prospect to show what's he's got.

Perra's a good kid, seems like a natural leader type, good intangibles.
Physically he's got really good size, solid strength, speed, athleticism etc.If the staff thinks his football skills are up to it, I'd be fine with him getting an offer.
If not, then he can consider trying to prove them that he's worth the scholarship.
There will be opportunities available here for a QB prospect to show what's he's got.

I keep hearing stuff like this....what is holding him back from receiving more 'big time' offers??

Don't let them get to you Jesper.

why did the post suck? Perra is considered the best QB prospect in the state:

Perra is considered the best QB prospect in the state: Accolades include Metro player of the year (Both Papers) MN GAtorade Player of the year, MN Mr Football Finalist, All State Player as well. The kid deserves more than a PWO. What more do you want him to do? and yeah, Jepser Horstad is a 3 sport stud. Basketball, Baseball and Football. Know the facts before posting something stupid like this.

I am betting he will goto an FCS school. He looks like a great player. But I don't think he's is too interested in a pwo roll, if he can get a scholarship to ndsu or northern Iowa.

Just how I read the interview.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

But I don't think he's is too interested in a pwo roll, if he can get a scholarship to ndsu or northern Iowa.

That's exactly how I read it too, with the tell being when referencing the PWO from Minnesota, he states "They offered me that at the end of the summer and I am kind of interested in that", with the "kind of" being mostly all that needs said, as it can only indicate a lukewarm attraction indeed.

I have no idea about the player, as I've never seen him play, do not live in Minnesota, and have not in many years- however, Roseville was my home when I did live there, so cannot help but feel a soft spot for this player, and especially given all his accolades.

It would be nice to have him around for depth purposes if nothing else and particularly given the departure of Nelson, but I wouldn't blame him in the least for taking a full-ride scholarship, even to what might be a lesser school, as the financial benefits of that can be quite immeasurable, and how given my own experience, laboring under the burden of a student loan debt over 100K, if I were that boy's father, I'd advise him to take the scholarship.

Perra is considered the best QB prospect in the state: Accolades include Metro player of the year (Both Papers) MN GAtorade Player of the year, MN Mr Football Finalist, All State Player as well. The kid deserves more than a PWO. What more do you want him to do? and yeah, Jepser Horstad is a 3 sport stud. Basketball, Baseball and Football. Know the facts before posting something stupid like this.

I'm not the one who said something stupid. Your post sucked because you spent half of it bashing the Gophers. Why would your boy Perra want to come play for such a loser program?

For those people who have seen him and Mitch Leidner play in high school, how would you compare them? Was Perra a better passer in high school that Mitch? Is Perra's shoulder going to hinder him from getting more scholarship offers?

Q&A: Roseville QB Jacques Perra Has Gophers PWO Offer; Will Visit Minnesota This Weekend By Chris Monter http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/334977?referrer_id=388419 Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that makes you pick School A over School B or C? Jacques Perra: Probably how much I feel that they want me instead of me wanting them, so how much they reach out and talk to me and if they offer me or not. I feel like if I go to the "U," I might never play, but it would be a good experience, but if I go to a smaller school like South Dakota State, I have a good chance of starting earlier, so that is probably going to make a big difference.

He should rethink the part about opportunity. Joel Stave walked into a similar situation at UW and has played a lot. I don't think this staff is going to care who's on scholarship when deciding who plays.

Also, he has a great hockey name. Sounds like he played for the Habs in the 1960's. Maybe he can help coach Lucia.

Why would he be scared that he will never play at the U

I don't get Perra's quote that he is scared if he comes to the U he would never play here. In the same article he says Northwestern is emailing and wants grades and transcripts. Dude obviously wants a scholarship, I don't blame him players feel validated to some sort when they get a full ride.
But, it's not like were so stocked at the QB spot that a kid who comes in as a freshman would not have the time to develop and you know actually play down the road. It will be the same for Mckinzy and Strevlar, and Leidner nobody has been anointed the starter, the guy that plays the best in practice and games will win the job. As the cliche goes the cream rises to the top, you would think if
he is half the player that his HS teamates and fans thinks he is that Perra would be getting a ton of offers. I know Roseville is not a traditional power but they played in the State playoffs all the way to the semifinals so there were plenty of coaches that must have saw the guy play. Quarterbacks are supposed to be the guy, I don't like a quote that say's I think I may never play at the U. We got walk-on's that beat out scholarship guys two on the O-line already this last year and the starting fullback started as a walk-on. Those guy's came in with chips on there shoulders and proved they belonged, so it is not unprecedented at the U for a Walk-on to win a scholarship and play.

I am betting he will goto an FCS school. He looks like a great player. But I don't think he's is too interested in a pwo roll, if he can get a scholarship to ndsu or northern Iowa.

Sounded to me what he prefers is playing time above all else. But if he believes in himself, he can play anywhere

Here's some good news!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Officially committed to further my education and football career at the university of Minnesota!&#55356;&#57288; <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SkiUMah&src=hash">#SkiUMah</a> <a href="http://t.co/W6HaSTxeGg">pic.twitter.com/W6HaSTxeGg</a></p>— Jacques Perra (@JPerra16) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPerra16/statuses/426150571414786049">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From my count that's the 4th PWO…looks like the start of a very solid PWO class...

Top Bottom