Q&A: Rodney Smith on his U Commitment: Minnesota is Best for My Life After Football

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Rodney Smith on his U Commitment: Minnesota is Best for My Life After Football

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/342447?referrer_id=388419

Rodney Smith, a 5-11, 195-pound running back from Jonesboro (GA) Mundy's Mill, has become Minnesota's 14th commit from the Class of 2014.

Coming off a torn ACL as a junior, Smith rushed 261 times for 2.201 yards and 26 touchdowns as a senior as he helped lead Mundy's Mill to a 8-5 mark, losing to Gainesville 42-28 in the third round of the Class AAAAA playoffs.

Gopher Hole caught up with Smith Thursday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you decided to commit to Minnesota today?

Rodney Smith: I sat down and had a conversation with my parents and we just decided that Minnesota was the biggest opportunity for me to be successful long after football.

Gopher Hole: You visited Minnesota in November. What was your visit like?

Rodney Smith: It was nice. I had a nice time with all the coaches. Met all the coaches and some of the players. The game day experience was a blast. It was definitely electric at TCF Bank Stadium.

Gopher Hole: You visited East Carolina last weekend. What was that like?

Rodney Smith: It was nice, too. They really welcomed me and I had a nice time, but like I said, I believe that Minnesota was the best option for my life after football.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but do you feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders already having gotten that decision out of the way?

Rodney Smith: Yes, definitely. I am actually happy that it is over. No more phone calls and coaches coming to the house all time and to the school. It has definitely been a grind.

Gopher Hole: What has been the reaction of your friends and family since you made the announcement that you are going to Minnesota?

Rodney Smith: They are all very happy for me. They are not too worried about the distance. I think that any college you go to, you'll be away for the same time period, because you have summer workouts.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the Gophers much about your role next year? Would you possibly redshirt or would you play? Have you talked to them much about that yet?

Rodney Smith: We talked a little bit about it. We didn't really go into detail. It all depends on how I perform at camp. If I come in and perform, there is a possibility that I could come in and play early. It will be tough coming in, especially with Cobbs being the first 1,000 yard back since 2006, I believe. Me and Jeff (Jones) plan to come in and just be that tandem for years to come in the Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on from now on until June when you come up here to continue to improve yourself as a running back and a player?

Rodney Smith: I will be definitely watching, I don't know if it will be game film where I was studying an opponent, watching tendencies and defenses. Learn the different offensive packages, different pass protections and physically, definitely getter stronger and faster. That is what I have heard, everyone is fast, so I am working on my speed.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a running back?

Rodney Smith: I would say my vision and ability to finish runs. I think that I watched so much film that I could see things unfold before they actually take place on the field. I know what their tendencies are. I think that I am a technician of the game. I would call it the small things to make me better.

Gopher Hole: How about your season this year? You put up some incredible rushing numbers. How pleased were you with how well you did individually and team-wise, making it to the playoffs?

Rodney Smith: I was definitely pleased. It was actually the first time in school history that we won a playoff game, so I definitely think that we laid a foundation for my school and for me, it was special, coming off a torn ACL. I proved a lot of people wrong. A lot of people didn't think that I would ever come back or recover from that, so I guess we proved a lot of people wrong this year.

Gopher Hole: How tough was that recovery? Obviously, it is not like the old days when you wouldn't come back from that kind of injury, but you were able to come back and honestly, be better than you were as a junior. How tough was it to make that recovery?

Rodney Smith: It was tough, but I had the support system at home. My parents really pushed me when I didn't want to get up and do my exercises, they told me that if I wanted to get where you want to be, you have to work for it. It was tough, but it all paid off in the long run.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about a possible college major yet?

Rodney Smith: I want to do exercise physiology, like sports medicine.

Gopher Hole: Is that partly because of the recovery from the injury? Has that made you appreciate that a little bit more?

Rodney Smith: Yes, that definitely helped. I learned a lot. I worked it every day.

Great interview! One question I would've wanted to see included is "do you plan to compete on the baseball team?" I know Eric Decker played baseball and football here, so it'll be interesting to see if Rodney Smith does.

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/342447?referrer_id=388419

Rodney Smith, a 5-11, 195-pound running back from Jonesboro (GA) Mundy's Mill, has become Minnesota's 14th commit from the Class of 2014.

Coming off a torn ACL as a junior, Smith rushed 261 times for 2.201 yards and 26 touchdowns as a senior as he helped lead Mundy's Mill to a 8-5 mark, losing to Gainesville 42-28 in the third round of the Class AAAAA playoffs.

Gopher Hole caught up with Smith Thursday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you decided to commit to Minnesota today?

Rodney Smith: I sat down and had a conversation with my parents and we just decided that Minnesota was the biggest opportunity for me to be successful long after football.

Gopher Hole: You visited Minnesota in November. What was your visit like?

Rodney Smith: It was nice. I had a nice time with all the coaches. Met all the coaches and some of the players. The game day experience was a blast. It was definitely electric at TCF Bank Stadium.

Gopher Hole: You visited East Carolina last weekend. What was that like?

Rodney Smith: It was nice, too. They really welcomed me and I had a nice time, but like I said, I believe that Minnesota was the best option for my life after football.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but do you feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders already having gotten that decision out of the way?

Rodney Smith: Yes, definitely. I am actually happy that it is over. No more phone calls and coaches coming to the house all time and to the school. It has definitely been a grind.

Gopher Hole: What has been the reaction of your friends and family since you made the announcement that you are going to Minnesota?

Rodney Smith: They are all very happy for me. They are not too worried about the distance. I think that any college you go to, you'll be away for the same time period, because you have summer workouts.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the Gophers much about your role next year? Would you possibly redshirt or would you play? Have you talked to them much about that yet?

Rodney Smith: We talked a little bit about it. We didn't really go into detail. It all depends on how I perform at camp. If I come in and perform, there is a possibility that I could come in and play early. It will be tough coming in, especially with Cobbs being the first 1,000 yard back since 2006, I believe. Me and Jeff (Jones) plan to come in and just be that tandem for years to come in the Big Ten.

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on from now on until June when you come up here to continue to improve yourself as a running back and a player?

Rodney Smith: I will be definitely watching, I don't know if it will be game film where I was studying an opponent, watching tendencies and defenses. Learn the different offensive packages, different pass protections and physically, definitely getter stronger and faster. That is what I have heard, everyone is fast, so I am working on my speed.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a running back?

Rodney Smith: I would say my vision and ability to finish runs. I think that I watched so much film that I could see things unfold before they actually take place on the field. I know what their tendencies are. I think that I am a technician of the game. I would call it the small things to make me better.

Gopher Hole: How about your season this year? You put up some incredible rushing numbers. How pleased were you with how well you did individually and team-wise, making it to the playoffs?

Rodney Smith: I was definitely pleased. It was actually the first time in school history that we won a playoff game, so I definitely think that we laid a foundation for my school and for me, it was special, coming off a torn ACL. I proved a lot of people wrong. A lot of people didn't think that I would ever come back or recover from that, so I guess we proved a lot of people wrong this year.

Gopher Hole: How tough was that recovery? Obviously, it is not like the old days when you wouldn't come back from that kind of injury, but you were able to come back and honestly, be better than you were as a junior. How tough was it to make that recovery?

Rodney Smith: It was tough, but I had the support system at home. My parents really pushed me when I didn't want to get up and do my exercises, they told me that if I wanted to get where you want to be, you have to work for it. It was tough, but it all paid off in the long run.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about a possible college major yet?

Rodney Smith: I want to do exercise physiology, like sports medicine.

Gopher Hole: Is that partly because of the recovery from the injury? Has that made you appreciate that a little bit more?

Rodney Smith: Yes, that definitely helped. I learned a lot. I worked it every day.

Another level-headed kid coming to the U. This is the kind of recruit Gopher fans should really get behind along with Blasingame. Well done Coach Kill.

Great interview. I like how he embraces being a 1-2 punch with Jeff Jones. They could be quite the duo in the future.

Do you think his comment "Jeff Jones and I plan on being a tandem for years to come" was an actual discussion he had with Jeff or him just assuming the committal is going to stand and hes speaking for the both of them.

Do you think his comment "Jeff Jones and I plan on being a tandem for years to come" was an actual discussion he had with Jeff or him just assuming the committal is going to stand and hes speaking for the both of them.

I assume the latter, I am sure while the coaches were recruiting him they discussed at length the fact that Jeff Jones was also committed and the ways in which they'd both fit into the system over the next 4-5 years

He comes across as a really smart, nice young man. I get excited hearing how the staff promotes the benefits of the area for life after football. Also I see it as a good sign that he was so successful his senior year coming off an ACL injury. Shows good work ethic, as that recovery is anything but easy. Welcome aboard Rodney.

Top Bottom