Q&A: Punter Logan McElfresh: "Gophers have always been the team to watch for me."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Punter Logan McElfresh: "Gophers have always been the team to watch for me."

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/354556?referrer_id=388419

Logan McElfresh, a 6-2, 190-pound senior punter from Brainerd (MN) High, will attend Minnesota next year as a preferred walk-on.

Gopher Hole recently caught up McElfresh to learn more about his decision.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota recently. What was the main reason that you decided that Minnesota was where you wanted to be?

Logan McElfresh: I really liked the school and all the coaches. I got along with the players very well. I have always wanted to play for a big D1 school. Growing up in Minnesota, the Gophers have always been the team to watch for me.

Gopher Hole: You visited Minnesota for an official visit the weekend of the 24th of January. Had you been to many campuses or gone to many college football games?

Logan McElfresh: I went to Duluth and Bemidji and I went to NDSU a couple of times.

Gopher Hole: Were you able to make a Gopher game during the regular season?

Logan McElfresh: No.

Gopher Hole: How did the Gophers find out about you?

Logan McElfresh: My high school coach, Coach Solski, contacted them. He knows Jerry Kill pretty well and told them that they should watch me and they kept tabs on me all year.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college football camps this summer?

Logan McElfresh: No. I practiced all summer and attended some kicking camps

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a punter?

Logan McElfresh: I have a pretty strong leg. I haven't punted that much (due to the team's offensive success) the last two years, so my form is not that good right now. I am looking to improve that.

Gopher Hole: What kicking camps have you attended?

Logan McElfresh: I have been to a couple of Kohl's Punting camps, but other than that, not too much.

Gopher Hole: Peter Mortell, who was your host, is in a position similar to you. He was a preferred walk-on, but earned a starting spot and is now on scholarship. Is that something you would like to emulate?

Logan McElfresh: Yes. That is my goal.

Gopher Hole: What did he tell you about being a walk-on at Minnesota?

Logan McElfresh: He told me to keep working hard and that I would have a chance to play and prove myself.

Gopher Hole: What other schools were you really considering besides Minnesota when it came down to the end?

Logan McElfresh: I wanted to stay close to home, so I was really considering Minnesota and NDSU. Kent State was talking to me and the University of Virginia and a couple of other schools, but my dad is a huge football fan and he wants to make the games, too.

Gopher Hole: Was NDSU looking at you as a walk-on or what were they talking to you about?

Logan McElfresh: As a walk-on.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are playing basketball right now. Are you playing any sports in the spring?

Logan McElfresh: I play baseball. I pitch and play first.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are busy with the other two sports, but what things are you going to be working on before you enroll in June to improve yourself as a punter?

Logan McElfresh: Flexibility, a lot and my drop is kind of inconsistent. I'll be working on drop drills

Gopher Hole: I know that you had a great season this past year finishing 12-1 and making it to the Prep Bowl. How pleased were you with your senior season?

Logan McElfresh: That was our whole team goal to get that far and win it. I would have liked to win it, but overall, I was happy with it.

Gopher Hole: Your head coach is one of the winningest coach in Minnesota state high school history. What was it like to play for him?

Logan McElfresh: He is a great coach. He knows tons of people and always knows what he is talking about. We had a great coaching staff and they set up great game plans against other teams.

Top Bottom