Q&A: Offensive Tackle Shane Evans Hopes for Gophers Offer, Loves Minnesota

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Offensive Tackle Shane Evans Hopes for Gophers Offer, Loves Minnesota
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/271216?referrer_id=388419

Shane Evans, a 6-foot-4 296-pound offensive tackle from Crystal Lake (IL) Prairie Ridge, attended the Minnesota Gopher football camp last month. The lineman has eight scholarship offers to date and would love to receive his first Big Ten offer.

Evans is a good student with a 3.65 GPA. He runs a 5.23 40-yard dash and bench pressed 385 pounds and squats 455. Gopher Hole.com caught up with Evans to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest with the Gophers?

Shane Evans: They are weighing things out and they are planning to get back to me.

Gopher Hole: What camps did you get a chance to attend this summer?

Shane Evans: I went to the Minnesota camp, Wisconsin and I went to an Illinois camp.

Gopher Hole: What offers do you have right now?

Shane Evans: Ball State, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois, Toledo, Western Michigan and Wyoming. I have two others that on the border where if I went out there they would offer, but they are kind of far, so I don’t know how much I would like to go out there.

Gopher Hole: When you attended those camps did you feel that you were able to pick up some things to make yourself a better football player?

Shane Evans: Yes. I learn a lot when I go to those camps just seeing the different ways everyone else coaches things. They are all coaching the same in the grand scheme of things, but every detail they coach a little bit differently which is nice to see.

Gopher Hole: You went to several Big Ten camps and you are trying to impress them to get a scholarship offer. Is it ever a nerve-racking process or do you try not to think about that?

Shane Evans: I don’t know if is nerve-racking. I think that since I have offers from good MAC schools, schools that have really done a good job in the past, it kind of took some pressure of it because sure they are not Big Ten, but a lot of those schools are good schools that do compete when they play big-time programs. I don’t know if I really felt that nervous when I was at the camps, but I did want to impress and try to earn myself a scholarship.

Gopher Hole: What do you think that you need to show those bigger schools during the regular season that you can play at that level?

Shane Evans: I think for Minnesota; they said that they need to figure out the tackle situation because they have a couple of tackles offered. If none of them commit and something happens that they would offer me to a guard. For them, it seems more like time. That is the problem. They would like to see some good film of the first few games, but I think that it is just time for them. Wisconsin and Illinois. Their big problem was just numbers. They only need one or two more guys.

Gopher Hole: Is that ever tough for you because you have friends who aren’t football players that are narrowing down their list of schools, while you have to play the waiting game?

Shane Evans: Yes, I would say so. There are two MAC schools that I really like and they are both filling up pretty quick. I am looking at those big schools just to see my options, but at the same time, if I wait too long, they could be out of my position at some good MAC programs.

Gopher Hole: What are the MAC programs that you like the most?

Shane Evans: My top three would be Toledo, Western Michigan and Northern Illinois. Toledo and Northern Illinois have one spot left and they have about four guys offered, so it is pretty much a waiting game in who takes it first, so it is a little nerve-racking there.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you might try to decide on a school?

Shane Evans: I would say pretty soon. In the next month, at the latest.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to take some official visits?

Shane Evans: I don’t know. The two MAC schools that I like a lot are going to fill up if I don’t say something now. It is one of those things if I wait too long and take a couple of officials, because officials can start after the first day of school and that is a month and a half from now.

Gopher Hole: What was your impression of Minnesota when you came up for the camp?

Shane Evans: I loved it. I loved it up there. I was talking to Coach Limegrover and I really enjoyed everything about it. It was awesome. I liked the way the O-line coach coached and I liked everything about it.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you if you were to get an offer from Minnesota?

Shane Evans: I would be very excited. I would probably take it because I really like it there. I have a buddy, Chris Streveler, who is up there playing quarterback.

Gopher Hole: You know him pretty well, right?

Shane Evans: Yes. He is right from my city. He was supposed to go to P.R., which is where I go, but he went to the catholic school. I could have blocked for him.

Gopher Hole: Do you guys play each other or are you in a different classes?

Shane Evans: Different classes. He was at a catholic school and they played in a catholic league, so we didn’t play them. The only time that we would play them is in the playoffs, but since we are little bit bigger, we never played him.

Gopher Hole: Do you know him very well then?

Shane Evans: Yes. We actually comes down on occasion to watch the Junior Wolves play and I’ll sometimes talk to him when he comes out.

Gopher Hole: Has he told you much about Minnesota?

Shane Evans: I haven’t talked to him a lot about Minnesota, but everything he has told me, he likes it. My mom is good friends with his mom and she has said that they just love it there.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from an athletic family?

Shane Evans: My one brother is a freak athlete. He is a really good quarterback. I think that he will do good things when he is in high school. He is an eighth grader now. My dad was a preferred walk-on at Northern, but he had to work through college, so he couldn’t afford to play and work at the same time, so he stopped playing. He was like All-State at wide receiver back in the day.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about what you would like to major in?

Shane Evans: I have thought about that. Everyone asks me about that. I am really good at math and I would like to end up being a coach, but I don’t really know what that means to me. I could be a high school coach and I think that would mean teaching and if I taught, I would go into a math field, but if I didn’t go in there, I like engineering. I might go that route. My dad is a business man, so maybe I would go business. . I don’t know. It is a tough choice.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main thing that makes you pick School A over School B or C?

Shane Evans: I think that it is just going to be where I am comfortable.

Gopher Hole: Is distance a big factor from home for you?

Shane Evans: Not at all. I guess the farthest I would want to go is Minnesota. I think it is like six or six and half hours. Any further than that, I don’t know if I would want to go that far. Within reason, I would say.

Top Bottom