Q&A: Gophers Recruit Malik Rucker on the U: They are showing me a lot (of love)

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Recruit Malik Rucker on the U: They are showing me a lot (of love)
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/185413?referrer_id=331171

Malik Rucker, a 6-foot, 170-pound senior defensive back from Robbinsdale Cooper, is one of the top defensive players from the Class of 2013 in the state. Rucker, who committed to Iowa this summer, attended the Minnesota-Northwestern this past weekend and filled GopherHole.com on the latest on his recruitment and senior season.

Gopher Hole: You guys are off to a good start. How pleased are you how well things are going this season?

Malik Rucker: I am pretty pleased, but we should be 7-0. We lost two kind of fluky games were it was kind of on us. A lot of mistakes. A lot of penalty yards. I think that we are doing pretty good. We had a few injuries going into the next few games and playoffs, but I think that we are going to be pretty good in the playoffs, especially in our section, so I feel that we have a good chance at state.

Gopher Hole: Wednesday is your last regular season game. How are you going to feel about your last game? A lot of emotions in that one?

Malik Rucker: It is going to be bittersweet because I am ready to move onto the college game, but then again, I know that I am really going to miss high school. It is going to be bittersweet.

Gopher Hole: You are having a strong season on defense and running back Billy Kellogg is having a good year offensively? You think that you have a good chance to doing well in the playoffs, right?

Malik Rucker: Him and Ashanti Payne (who also attended the Minnesota-Northwestern game). He (Payne) has 900 yards and Billy has 1,000 yards. They are both running backs, so we have pretty dominating backfield and we have some pretty dominant receivers.

Gopher Hole: How about your defense? How pleased are you with that?

Malik Rucker: I am pretty pleased with it. We started the year off slow. That is probably why we lost our first game (49-42 to Benilde-St. Margaret's). The defense started out slow, but we picked it up. Friday, we allowed one touchdown. It was a pass with a good run on it. They hit us with a play action play and just threw it over us. I think that we have been doing pretty good.

Gopher Hole: How about your recruitment. You committed to Iowa this summer. How many times have you been down there for games?

Malik Rucker: I have been to one game. I went to the Iowa-Iowa State game. It was a pretty nice game. Iowa lost that game. I am still solid to Iowa, but I am still looking at a few schools.

Gopher Hole: Who else are you looking at besides Minnesota?

Malik Rucker: Minnesota, Arizona State and I might take an official visit to Cal.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, Minnesota has made it known that they want to keep all the top players in-state and with you being one of those players, it has to make you feel pretty proud that they are still showing you a lot of love.

Malik Rucker: Yes sir, it does because over the years they usually don’t show as much love to in-state recruits. They are showing me a lot.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on making some other visits or going to any places other than those schools?

Malik Rucker: I’m not really sure yet. I might after this Wednesday’s game, but I’m not really sure.

Gopher Hole: Are you doing any All-Star games anything else after the season is over?

Malik Rucker: I might do the Semper Fidelis Marine game. I might do an Offense versus Defense game or I might back to Team USA and play for the World.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Malik Rucker: Just securing tackles. Making sure that I secure my tackles and make big plays for my team.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, Minnesota has made it known that they want to keep all the top players in-state and with you being one of those players, it has to make you feel pretty proud that they are still showing you a lot of love.

Malik Rucker: Yes sir, it does because over the years they usually don’t show as much love to in-state recruits. They are showing me a lot.

he thinks we don't show love to in-state recruits over the years? is that perception more widely held in minnesota?

he thinks we don't show love to in-state recruits over the years? is that perception more widely held in minnesota?

I believe that the internet story goes that his father(?) didn't get any love from the U when he was in HS. So it's a family perception.

Looks like Malik is still looking around. Hopefully he loves Cal.

He's quoting what someone else (likely his coach) told him about the past. Remember, Malik's "football life" began last year.

Malik Rucker: I have been to one game. I went to the Iowa-Iowa State game. It was a pretty nice game. Iowa lost that game. I am still solid to Iowa, but I am still looking at a few schools.
That doesn't sound promising for the Hawkeyes.

Why do these kids even make a commitment? Sounds to me like he is wide open to where he will go next year.

Why do these kids even make a commitment?
Because they want to hold a scholarship offer in case the game of musical chairs ends and they don't have one.

I can't blame them, really. It's just as much the system as it is the kids.

Be careful. This could start a 40 time like debate. A North Mpls. Community reporter stated this and the board exploded. Though that particular reporters story may have had flaws, that perception exists.

Much work to do in this area.

Rucker received an offer from Washington St. If nothing else, I would think it means that his commitment is up for grabs, considering that he already had multiple BCS offers and is now starting to receive new ones.

Be careful. This could start a 40 time like debate. A North Mpls. Community reporter stated this and the board exploded. Though that particular reporters story may have had flaws, that perception exists.

That meme has existed for years and one of the reasons I thought landing Hageman was so important. We've lost a ton of kids in both football and basketball due to that perception.

This would not be a good headline on the Penn State board.

didn't show love? sounds more like a kid giving a throw away answer to the reporter question 'why not the U?' I guess it is better than the kid trashing his state program.

I know some of this stems back to Clem, or, more accurately, McKinley Boston being removed.

I know some of this stems back to Clem, or, more accurately, McKinley Boston being removed.

Nah. It goes back before Clem or Mac ever stepped foot in Minnesota. It was a fact (with few exceptions) that the U didn't recruit metro area kids from Minnesota prior to the late 90's. Instead they would go to places like Michigan, Ill. Tx and bring back some of the sorriest athletes I have ever seen. I still crack on a good friend of mine Mel Anderson (He was a very good player) that I played with 2 or 3 guys on my high school team (North) my senior year that were better football players....seriously.

Some people want it both ways. They want to insist that those of us who held/hold this belief are at best wrong and at the worst cry babies. Then of course they want our sons to attend the U:confused:

It may be perception or it may be reality....either way, for the U to be successful in recruiting metro area players the issue must be addressed....that is if they don't want another generation of athletes saying thanks but no thanks.

He's solid to Iowa..."but still looking at a few school". Just by that it sounds like he could flop back to the U anytime. Obviously the Gophers would take back his commit with open arms.

He's solid to Iowa..."but still looking at a few school". Just by that it sounds like he could flop back to the U anytime. Obviously the Gophers would take back his commit with open arms.

Kids are interested in increasing their national profile and geting some free trips...you do this by keeping the door open and generating continued interest from other schools. Also keep in mind that until that letter of interest is signed a coach/school could make it disappear.......and whose to say that Ferentz will be there at the end of the season?

Nah. It goes back before Clem or Mac ever stepped foot in Minnesota. It was a fact (with few exceptions) that the U didn't recruit metro area kids from Minnesota prior to the late 90's. Instead they would go to places like Michigan, Ill. Tx and bring back some of the sorriest athletes I have ever seen. I still crack on a good friend of mine Mel Anderson (He was a very good player) that I played with 2 or 3 guys on my high school team (North) my senior year that were better football players....seriously.

Some people want it both ways. They want to insist that those of us who held/hold this belief are at best wrong and at the worst cry babies. Then of course they want our sons to attend the U:confused:

It may be perception or it may be reality....either way, for the U to be successful in recruiting metro area players the issue must be addressed....that is if they don't want another generation of athletes saying thanks but no thanks.

I get that and believe it could be true. But, what good does it do when the same regime is not even in the house?

It would be like me saying that when I got out of college "XXX" business did not hire me 20 years ago, but my son has the opportunity to get a job there. I should steer him away because of this. Even though the Management has completely changed????

So I am assuming Wacker and maybe the prior coach thought they would do better recruiting out of state. So there should be a grudge held against the same instition 20+ years later even though there has been New Presidents, ADs, and coaches. It is just petty IMO, but you are your guys can do what you want to do.

I get that and believe it could be true. But, what good does it do when the same regime is not even in the house?

It would be like me saying that when I got out of college "XXX" business did not hire me 20 years ago, but my son has the opportunity to get a job there. I should steer him away because of this. Even though the Management has completely changed????

So I am assuming Wacker and maybe the prior coach thought they would do better recruiting out of state. So there should be a grudge held against the same instition 20+ years later even though there has been New Presidents, ADs, and coaches. It is just petty IMO, but you are your guys can do what you want to do.

Petty? That's a great step in the mending process:rolleyes:

Keep in mind you're the one who wants something; "my guys" as you put it, are fine with their sons attending school out of state.

Me? I'm trying to get everyone beyond this. However; you can't do that by either dwelling in the past "my guys" or by acting like the past doesn't exist.

What would I do? Just what Kill is doing; continue relationship building and identifying those kids who he is recruiting that this applies to. He messed up with Rucker because he wasn't aware of the history. As a result he used his recruiting model (that has proven to be successful) where he takes his time seeing if the kid is a good fit for his program (prior to offering). While this was going on, other programs were stepping up to the plate and offering scholarships.

Think about it; the popular good looking chick asked you to the dance, meanwhile ugly betty is asking you to prove that you will show her a good time (the same ugly Betty that dad doesn't like).

I'm on your side; its in everyone's best interest for home town kids to play at the U.

He messed up with Rucker because he wasn't aware of the history. As a result he used his recruiting model (that has proven to be successful) where he takes his time seeing if the kid is a good fit for his program (prior to offering). While this was going on, other programs were stepping up to the plate and offering scholarships.

Was he made aware of these feelings so he can alter his recruiting in Mpls? If he still has no clue he probably can't work best on mending these things, which is probably better for both sides, as sans Floyd, most preps that have left for greener pastures in last 10 yrs haven't excelled.

We will see where the fence is with the RB from Washburn. Hopefully he commits early to us. That would be Hageman as a Sr. and Jones as a incoming freshman. Hopefully that would heal some old wounds.

Iowa had a few Minnesota kids down for the game today, according to their rivals site. Hope those kids saw all that Iowa had to offer, like losses to Indiana and Purdue.

Malik Rucker just tweeted "Malik going to the "U". visit? commit? am I late to this party??..

yeah I just saw it.... that's crap, fig'd too good to be true.

Top Bottom