Q&A: Gophers Commit Andrew Stelter on the U: I am so excited for the future there.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gophers Commit Andrew Stelter on the U: I am so excited for the future there.

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/309776?referrer_id=388419

Andrew Stelter, a 6-4, 254-pound senior defensive end from Owatonna (MN) High School, committed to Minnesota in July.

Stelter was the lone non-senior named to the 2012 Associated Press All-State team and led the Huskies to a 12-1 mark, losing in the 5A Prep Bowl title game to Totino-Grace 49-21.

GopherHole.com recently caught up with Stelter to learn the latest on his senior season.

Gopher Hole: You obviously had to be very pleased that you played extremely well throughout the regular season and had a big win tonight?

Andrew Stelter: This was a huge win for us. It should shut up a lot of the skeptics. People say that we don’t play that good of teams in our conference and section. This was a good team. I am so proud of my teammates right now of how we came out and executed. We played great tonight.

Gopher Hole: Back to back shutouts (they defeated Rochester Mayo in the section 1 finals 42-0) has to make you feel very good?

Andrew Stelter: It does. It feels great. We are trying to make a statement here and it is also great to go back-to-back to the Dome two years in a row, the first time that it has happened in Owatonna school history.

Gopher Hole: What is your feeling about the way that the Gophers have been playing the last few weeks?

Andrew Stelter: It has been awesome. Just seeing my future school get after and beat Nebraska, beat Northwestern and last week against Indiana like they did. It is great. They are stepping up huge. I am so excited for the future there.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you even more excited after seeing them win eight games and going to a bowl game?

Andrew Stelter: Definitely. Definitely. I can’t wait to be there, honestly.

Gopher Hole: Do you know when you are going for your official visit? Would it be during the bowl game practices?

Andrew Stelter: Kind of during bowl game practices. That is what we are thinking.

Love it

I think Kill and co. are going to build some serious offensive and defensive lines in their time here.

I hope he is great but I hope they loose to STMA. Owatonna sucks.

I hope he is great but I hope they loose to STMA. Owatonna sucks.

Do they suck because they dominate that cesspool of a town Faribault in every sport? Choking that 41-7 halftime lead to Owatonna last year still sting?

I'm heading over to the dome today, Owatonna is playing at 2:00 for anyone else who wants to watch Andrew Stelter play.

A shade worried about his 40 time but perhaps he projects as a DT vs a DE.

I went to the game this afternoon. The good news, I'm pleased that he is excited to be a Gopher next year (seriously, love his attitude). He also has a solid looking football frame, don't see any fat. If he had a pair of hands on him, he'd look like a good tight end (built like Maxx Williams). He had a few nice plays on defense, but on offense not much to report, he plays guard and the D was playing a 3-4, so, he had no one really to block.

I'm guessing he's coachable based on his interviews and his GPA in school. He doesn't really get low with his pad level, gets upright too quickly. You've heard the term "he plays with a high motor," Andrew seems to be on the other end of the spectrum. Plays a bit passively for my liking. This is my biggest worry. Has anyone else watched him play this year? I'm no expert on this subject, so, my analysis could be way off.

On a side note, anybody know the story on Owatonna's kicker? He has a great leg. All his kickoffs were touchbacks to the back of the end zone and he hit a 42-yard FG that had plenty of leg.

On a side note, anybody know the story on Owatonna's kicker? He has a great leg. All his kickoffs were touchbacks to the back of the end zone and he hit a 42-yard FG that had plenty of leg.

Carter McCauley was a first team all state goal keeper in soccer this year. Rumor is that the Gophers are at least looking at him.

I went to the game this afternoon. The good news, I'm pleased that he is excited to be a Gopher next year (seriously, love his attitude). He also has a solid looking football frame, don't see any fat. If he had a pair of hands on him, he'd look like a good tight end (built like Maxx Williams). He had a few nice plays on defense, but on offense not much to report, he plays guard and the D was playing a 3-4, so, he had no one really to block.

I'm guessing he's coachable based on his interviews and his GPA in school. He doesn't really get low with his pad level, gets upright too quickly. You've heard the term "he plays with a high motor," Andrew seems to be on the other end of the spectrum. Plays a bit passively for my liking. This is my biggest worry. Has anyone else watched him play this year? I'm no expert on this subject, so, my analysis could be way off.

Gophers are definitely looking at him and he's hoping for an offer. Asked a friend who knows someone on the team if he would consider walking on, but he wasn't sure.

Top Bottom