Q&A: Cyrano Rayfield on First Visit to Minn: Let me tell you, it is crazy. I like it.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Cyrano Rayfield on First Visit to Minn: Let me tell you, it is crazy. I like it.

Illinois Prep Cyrano Rayfield on First Visit to Minnesota: "Let me tell you, it is crazy. I like it."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/274891?referrer_id=331171

Cyrano Rayfield, a 6-foot-1, 225-pound center, defensive end and long snapper from Ottawa Township (IL) High, shined at Minnesota Gopher football camp goal line drills. Rayfield was the La Salle News Tribune Defensive Player of the Year after leading the Pirates to an 11-1 mark. He was 2012 Illinois Coaches Association Honorable Mention All-State selection.

Rayfield is a three-sport standout who is a three-year varsity member of the track and field team as a shot put and discus thrower and made the 2012 IHSA Elite State finals as a wrestler and finished with a 34-9 mark.

Gopher Hole talked to Rayfield about his early recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many camps besides the Minnesota camp?

Cyrano Rayfield: I have been to the Iowa State, The Nike Spark Combine, University of Michigan, University of Illinois, Missouri, Northern Illinois and the Northwestern Showcase.

Gopher Hole: When you go these camps do you feel that you pick up things that are going to make you a better football player this year?

Cyrano Rayfield: Oh, yes. Right now, I am going through a lot of linebacker phases because I have never played linebacker before in my life. I am a defensive end for my school, but knowing to get to the next level with my height, I am going to have to play linebacker, so I am trying to learn everything now so when the season comes, coach will put me in so I can show him what I can do.

Gopher Hole: Is it a tough transition to a new position that you haven't played before?

Cyrano Rayfield: A little, but I am a faster learner and I like to be physical.

Gopher Hole: What other positions do you play?

Cyrano Rayfield: I am a center, defensive end/linebacker and I am a long snapper.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any offers yet?

Cyrano Rayfield: No, sir.

Gopher Hole: What things are you trying to show coaches at these camps that you can play at a high level?

Cyrano Rayfield: That I am very disciplined. I am very physical. I have heart, desire and will to do what I can do to get to the next level. I try to tell them that 'I might be messing up, this is my first time ever doing this kind of drill,' but you can't make any excuses.

Gopher Hole: I think you impressed a lot of people at the goal line drills. Is that something you are proud about how well you did?

Cyrano Rayfield: Oh, yes. I was feeling it. I was getting all pumped up and everything. I wish that we could have gone more. It was a great feeling down there, knowing that I got lower than a lot of the other people and just driving people off the ball. It was fun.

Gopher Hole: Had you heard much from Minnesota before this camp?

Cyrano Rayfield: I have had a couple of e-mail exchanges from Coach Phelps, back and forth and a hand-written letter. That was way earlier in the season, so hopefully after this, it will get me going.

Gopher Hole: Did you hear much from the coaches during the camp?

Cyrano Rayfield: They have been saying that they liked what they saw and this and that and that they will keep in touch with me.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to Minnesota before this camp?

Cyrano Rayfield: No, this is my first time being in Minneapolis and in Minnesota. Let me tell you, it is crazy. I like it.

Gopher Hole: Did you get an opportunity to go to any college football games last year?

Cyrano Rayfield: I've been to a couple of U of I (Illinois) games and a couple of Michigan games.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play college football?

Cyrano Rayfield: It would mean the world to me and more. It is my dream ever since I was a little kid. To be able to play on TV. Everyone chanting your name. Everyone knowing who you are. Coming from a small town where not a lot of kids come out, so that is my dream.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for your high school team this year?

Cyrano Rayfield: Pretty high because we just came off an undefeated regular season last season. We got kicked out of the playoffs in the quarter finals by Crete-Monee. We should be pretty solid this year.

Gopher Hole: Do you return most of your guys or did you lose a lot of seniors?

Cyrano Rayfield: I wouldn't say that we lost a lot of seniors, but we have a lot of juniors who played last year who are going to be playing this year. We didn't really lose a lot of people.

Top Bottom