Putting On My Most Optimistic Cap

It's so laughable & predictable to see guys on here mouthing-off about Ben's coaching ability. And everything else. So 100% predictable. A pea-brain could knee-jerk make all the exact same arguments. This ALWAYS happens.

Win, and the coach is a genius. Lose, and the coach is an idiot. The circumstances are NEVER considered. Pea-brain knee-jerk.
As are your responses, predictable. The problem is that yours are based off of speculation that has not been proven. Others are based off of current reality. Call them knee-jerk if you want, but what realistic responses should people be having? Your take on this is just as irresponsible as those that go off the deep end too soon.

• Love
Reactions: MRJ

End of year t-rank ranking (which goes back to 2008:

Tubby: 62, 46, 25, 59, 50, 20 (avg. ~45)
Pitino: 35, 52, 204, 36, 107, 47, 27, 67 (avg. ~72)
Johnson: 110, 194 (partial as of 1/23/23)

So, Tubby was actually pretty good, but since his departure 10 years ago, the program has not even been top 80.

Wasn't Robbins out with a foot injury most or all of last season?
Yes. Plus he's over 13 players. You can't just say "if we'd kept these 3 and had 16 players." That was never possible.

End of year t-rank ranking (which goes back to 2008:

Tubby: 62, 46, 25, 59, 50, 20 (avg. ~45)
Pitino: 35, 52, 204, 36, 107, 47, 27, 67 (avg. ~72)
Johnson: 110, 194 (partial as of 1/23/23)

So, Tubby was actually pretty good, but since his departure 10 years ago, the program has not even been top 80.
Well...6 of Pitino's years he was definitely better than top 80 (average 44) and his overall average was 72. So it is just in the last 2 year we fell below (on average).

It's so laughable & predictable to see guys on here mouthing-off about Ben's coaching ability. And everything else. So 100% predictable. A pea-brain could knee-jerk make all the exact same arguments. This ALWAYS happens.

Win, and the coach is a genius. Lose, and the coach is an idiot. The circumstances are NEVER considered. Pea-brain knee-jerk.
The coach's job is to win basketball games, so yes, wins reflect well on his ability, losses reflect poorly. When the losses start piling up in greater magnitude than other comparable rebuilds around the country, its fair to analyze what he is doing wrong.

The coach's job is to win basketball games, so yes, wins reflect well on his ability, losses reflect poorly. When the losses start piling up in greater magnitude than other comparable rebuilds around the country, its fair to analyze what he is doing wrong.
You seem like the kind of guy that when evaluating an umbrella would factor in how dry it keeps you.

PREDICTABLE

Well...6 of Pitino's years he was definitely better than top 80 (average 44) and his overall average was 72. So it is just in the last 2 year we fell below (on average).
You are a person after my own heart.... But, you don't get to throw out 4 bad years out of 10, unfortunately.

Just for fun, I did Northwestern and PSU over the last 10 years. Northwestern is worse by a nose - within one or two ranks. PSU is significantly better, by like 15-20. I suspect Nebraska will be worse, but I doubt any other B1G program is worse over the 10-year period (but suggestions welcome). In the "no-duh" category, 10 years should be enough to evaluate the standing of a program.

You are a person after my own heart.... But, you don't get to throw out 4 bad years out of 10, unfortunately.

Just for fun, I did Northwestern and PSU over the last 10 years. Northwestern is worse by a nose - within one or two ranks. PSU is significantly better, by like 15-20. I suspect Nebraska will be worse, but I doubt any other B1G program is worse over the 10-year period (but suggestions welcome). In the "no-duh" category, 10 years should be enough to evaluate the standing of a program.
Pitino should have gotten fired. I am not going to argue that. The problem is that we have twice in a row now, hired learn on the job guys to coach in perhaps the toughest conference in America and asked them to help us climb out of the lower half. The hiring of Tubby would have been an amazing idea if he had enough gas left in his tank at the time.

If you take "average result" Ben would have to be 10th in the country for 6 straight years after this one to get to an average of 45 (matching Tubby). If he did that I would help chisel his statue and contribute towards the cost of it! ....Which is why the average is misleading, and that's all I was saying about comparing Pitino to Tubby. Pitino gave us higher highs and much lower lows than Tubby who was always average here at best.

I agree with you that guard is the most important position in college ball. Our guard play has been poor. And, I would say that he can coach based on what he showed last year (with VERY little talent-with that talent level where else were you going to finish?), in addition to what I've seen situationally on the court, what happens play-wise after timeouts, and in the brief time I've heard him in the huddle. I don't think you can argue too much about recruiting when he has one of the top centers in the country and the #1 recruit in Illinois coming next year. We don't see that level of recruiting around here much-and I realize it's just one year.

I think the most important consideration is that he's in the middle of his 2nd year, and I really don't think he had a good opportunity or the time to recruit a high quality class his first year. As I said, this year's veteran players have played poorly, and the freshmen have been very inconsistent. I know it's hard on everyone's ego to finish at the bottom of the Big Ten, and let's see where he's at with the team at the end of next year and give him a bit more time to develop some success. Not too much time, but more time.
Christie is a good recruit but he is nowhere near the top 2023 recruit in Illinois. Jeremy Fears is ranked in the 20s on both Rivals and 247 and is going to Michigan State. Dai Dai Ames is ranked in the 50s and headed to Kansas State. Christie is ranked above 120. Again, good recruit but not number one.

I don't know how you can say he's shown he can recruit, and he can coach when we were a last place team last season, and it's nearly a lock we'll be a last place team this season. They were blown out in the majority of the B1G games last season, and have been blown out in most so far this season. That doesn't happen if you can at least recruit or coach, let alone both. I've seen nothing to suggest he's good enough at either to be competitive in the B1G.
Because his first recruits are freshmen. And his 2nd recruits are highly rated but not on the team yet.

All these kinds of posts have to either be trolling or not knowing anything about college basketball.

As are your responses, predictable. The problem is that yours are based off of speculation that has not been proven. Others are based off of current reality. Call them knee-jerk if you want, but what realistic responses should people be having? Your take on this is just as irresponsible as those that go off the deep end too soon.
It's fair to analyze & criticize the play of our freshmen. And to check on how our recruits are doing.

But most of the criticism on this board is nonsense.

You seem like the kind of guy that when evaluating an umbrella would factor in how dry it keeps you.

PREDICTABLE
Yes...most of you analyze college basketball the exact same way you analyze an umbrella.

Wet or dry. Win or lose. With nothing else considered.

But does it wirelessly charge your phone all while keeping you dry? Clearly not thinking of everything in terms of evaluating umbrellas
You're drenched right now, but two to three weeks from now it'll be the greatest umbrella of all time. It might even keep you dry.

But does it wirelessly charge your phone all while keeping you dry? Clearly not thinking of everything in terms of evaluating umbrellas

Or does it make you forget your password so you have to create a new username to talk incessantly about Clem and call everyone who doesn’t agree trolls and Badger fans?

Top Bottom