Purdue surprising Illini

gopherMD

Reaction score
Byrd hitting 3s to lead Boilermakers. Illinois looking pedestrian.

Illinois has gone up by 5-7 points on a couple of occasions, but then Purdue comes back, up 7 with the ball 6 minutes to go.

never thought they were good, was just hoping they kept their ranking until we played them, as I did with Indiana when they were ranked 1st, oh well

Three minutes to go, 59-51 Purdue. I think they said Illinois has only hit 2 of their last 15 three pointers.

Live and die by the 3.

As far as Illinois losing and its effect on us, the conference season balances itself out so I'm not too worried about it. It does mean we're a game up on a potential contender, which is nice.

Complete bonehead in-bounds pass by Byrd allows illannoy to get within 6.

looks like a ton of Illinois fans there

How is that not a travel?

I was wondering about that too. He was still sliding a bit with the ball in his hands.

EDIT And 1 for DJ Byrd, 2 possession game, 20 seconds left.

PURDUE BEATS #11 ILLINOIS AGAIN

Byrd hit some crucial 3's in the final 7 minutes and Ill struggled offensively along with Bertrand fouling Purdue in the bonus. Really poor 3's from Ill and FT shooting. Paul hits some great 3's along with Richardson in the last 3 minutes. Larson gets hacked in the last 30sec for a double bonus misses both but Byrd get the rebound calls timeout and Purdue gets the ball back for the last 21 sec. Byrd makes an unbelievable basket and is fouled by Ill. No call on the intentional foul by Purdue....Game Over

That last minute literally took more than 10 minutes of real time.

ill give some credit to some posters on here who were saying illinois was only good when shooting the lights out, they were right.

It was. Plus, thought you could not call timeout while falling out of bounds. Home court advantage. PU has out muscled Illinois and the officials let them play. B1G at home.
I think the rule is you can call time-out if you have possession, both feet in bounds and call time-out before breaking the out-of bounds plane. There is room for interpretation on falling out of bounds I guess. Players roll on the floor with the ball and don't get called for traveling but sliding on your knees seems like a travel.

Just shows, yet again, how hard winning on the road in the B1G is....no gimmes for any of us.

Time to take care of business against NWU and see if we can't put IL at 0-3 after they lose at tOSU on Saturday and then to us on the 9th!

Not really surprised at all. The Illini were only favored by 2-3 points. Purdue owns the Illini and has for several years now.

That being said, the Boilers are still terrible and will be right there with PSU and Nebraska at the bottom of the conference.

Apparently this is Purdue's 8th consecutive win over the Illini. I don't think we currently have more than 3 or 4 straight losses to anyone in the Big Ten. I think Michigan State had 4 straight on us before our game on new year's eve, Wisconsin has won the last 3, Ohio State has at least 3, I think Michigan has 4, with the game at Crisler where we lost Al Nolen for the season being our last win against them.

We had 6 straight wins over Iowa before last year, and we swept Nebraska in their inaugural Big Ten basketball season.

We've lost four in a row to Ohio State (dating back to 2010 when we lost in the BTT final) and four in a row to Michigan which are our longest current losing streaks.

Now, if we can clobber NW and Illinois can beat Ohio State...

The home team has covered the point spread in every Big Ten game thus far.

We can say this about Illinois: they are who we thought they were. And I'm not crowning them.

The Ohio State game now takes on a little extra importance for Illinois. Lost one to one of the non-contenders and certainly don't want to go to 0-2, but something tells me they'll bounce back vs. Ohio State.

Top Bottom