Purdue may be down two linebackers vs Hull; PU 3-8 vs NW in last 11; hasn't beat NW at RossAde since 2007

some bits from Brohm via Dienhart:

Amazingly, Purdue hasn’t beaten the Wildcats in Ross-Ade Stadium since 2007, when Joe Tiller was still the Boilermaker coach. Purdue has lost the last five meetings vs. NU in West Lafayette and is 3-8 vs. the Wildcats in the last 11 meetings. Brohm knows the history. And, he knows the Wildcats are dangerous, despite languishing in the basement of the West division and riding a nine-game losing streak.

“Coach (Pat) Fitzgerald has done a great job,” said Brohm. “He has achieved a lot of success by doing it the right way, by just building a program of discipline and toughness and hard work.

“They’ve played some good football, at times. They played Penn State very close (17-7). They played Maryland very close (31-24). They played Ohio State very close (21-7). They have the capability to win football games and they understand that.”

Hope Northwestern can pull it off but given their QB situation, Purdue can probably win that game with just the two linebackers.

If Hull can get going, NW has a shot. NW actually has a downfield passing game. Just need the running game to complement it.

31° and 15mph winds for the NW/Purdue game. Was hoping for worse weather to give NW a shot.

I couldn’t believe how truly weak/impotent NU looked against us. It is next to impossible for me to come up with a scenario that gives The Cats much of a chance.

I have regularly complimented PF over the years, but . . .

Somehow Pat Fitzgerald is seen as one of the great coaches in the country because he happened to go 9-5 in 2018 and was the only team not decimated by the pandemic in 2020

9-23 his last 32 big ten games
Another year like this year and he will be fired.

Let’s hope he as good as the national media wants him to be. Beat Purdue

Somehow Pat Fitzgerald is seen as one of the great coaches in the country because he happened to go 9-5 in 2018 and was the only team not decimated by the pandemic in 2020

bzKjicL.png

2019 and 2021 being 3-9 was the first time that had happened in his HC career there, with only 4 in his first year and then only 5 twice.

Lot of 6+ wins and bowl games.

This year now is two nasty years in a row.

He can (rightfully) say that the team this year was decimated by injuries.

And NW forever has been at the bottom of the barrel in the conference on facilities. That's just turning around.

bzKjicL.png

2019 and 2021 being 3-9 was the first time that had happened in his HC career there, with only 4 in his first year and then only 5 twice.

Lot of 6+ wins and bowl games.

This year now is two nasty years in a row.

He can (rightfully) say that the team this year was decimated by injuries.

And NW forever has been at the bottom of the barrel in the conference on facilities. That's just turning around.
Their own fans want him gone

I hope they do. They'll likely revert back to 1980s NW and that is fine with me.
2 of their last 3 coaches have won big ten titles

Pat Fitzgerald is the one who hasn’t

9-23 last 32 games in conference. Last time they had a stretch that bad was the 90s
What I’m telling you is, they’ve already reverted and that’s why they want their coach gone

He’s won multiple big ten west titles and has 3 10 win seasons at Northwestern and has had them at least respectable more or less over the past 15 years, and has the best winning percentage of any coach there since the 1930’s. I’d don’t see him looked at as a top coach in the country but he’s certainly been good and he’s done it at probably one of the hardest P5 schools to win in the nation. Would you take him over Fleck?

He’s won multiple big ten west titles and has 3 10 win seasons at Northwestern and has had them at least respectable more or less over the past 15 years, and has the best winning percentage of any coach there since the 1930’s. I’d don’t see him looked at as a top coach in the country but he’s certainly been good and he’s done it at probably one of the hardest P5 schools to win in the nation. Would you take him over Fleck?
None of that disagrees with anything I’ve said

No I wouldn’t trade coaches with northwestern

Randy Walker having a 3 way tie for the Big Ten isn't more impressive than Fitz's best seasons. I like Bud Elliot's (247) explanation which is that the early signing day has hurt the academic schools the most because they don't always have these guys admitted by mid December.

Last edited:

If Michigan beats Illinois this week (yup), NW beats an injury-plagued Purdue (maybe?), and PJ gets the Iowa monkey off his back (please!), we actually control our own destiny going into the final game of the season. That would be sweet.

Randy Walker having a 3 way tie for the Big Ten isn't more impressive than Fitz's best seasons. I like Bud Elliot's (247) explanation which is that the early signing day has hurt the academic schools the most best they don't always have these guys admitted by mid December.
Winning a big ten title isn’t more impressive than being the 5th best team in the conference while going 1-2 against the top 4 and losing to duke non conference? (2017)

Winning a big ten title isn’t more impressive than being the 5th best team in the conference while going 0-2 against the top 4? (2015)

I disagree

I do agree it was a lot easier to win a big ten title before the Nebraska addition. Many on this board disagree with that

Fair enough. Personally I think the Gophers would have been extremely fortunate to have a coach of Pats stature anytime over the past 20+ years. I like Fleck but I think Fitz has done more with less.

I couldn’t believe how truly weak/impotent NU looked against us. It is next to impossible for me to come up with a scenario that gives The Cats much of a chance.

I have regularly complimented PF over the years, but . . .

Any chance the Gopher defense had something to do with that?

Winning a big ten title isn’t more impressive than being the 5th best team in the conference while going 1-2 against the top 4 and losing to duke non conference? (2017)

Winning a big ten title isn’t more impressive than being the 5th best team in the conference while going 0-2 against the top 4? (2015)

I disagree

I do agree it was a lot easier to win a big ten title before the Nebraska addition. Many on this board disagree with that
He could have won the Big Ten with those efforts as did Walker. I think you're agreeing with the point I was trying to make, those seasons aren't all that impressive, neither is a 3 way tie for the title with a loss to a 3-9 Iowa team.

He could have won the Big Ten with those efforts as did Walker. I think you're agreeing with the point I was trying to make, those seasons aren't all that impressive, neither is a 3 way tie for the title with a loss to a 3-9 Iowa team.
So you’re defending me saying that Fitzgerald isn’t that special by saying he did something that isn’t that special?

So you’re defending me saying that Fitzgerald isn’t that special by saying he did something that isn’t that special?
😂 I said Randy Walker getting the share of a title wasn't more impressive than Fitz's best seasons. I think that best Fitz's best seasons probably would have won a share of a title in the old format.

I assumed when you brought up Walker's title it was to say that his zenith was greater than Fitz's. I was trying to say that both achieved equally and thus if you think going 8-1, 7-2 & 6-2 in the Big Ten in the last 10 years is ho hum, then going 6-2 in 2000 is the same.

😂 I said Randy Walker getting the share of a title wasn't more impressive than Fitz's best seasons. I think that best Fitz's best seasons probably would have won a share of a title in the old format.

I assumed when you brought up Walker's title it was to say that his zenith was greater than Fitz's. I was trying to say that both achieved equally and thus if you think going 8-1, 7-2 & 6-2 in the Big Ten in the last 10 years is ho hum, then going 6-2 in 2000 is the same.
Winning a big ten title is more impressive than not winning a big ten title
I have already said im just going to go ahead and disagree with you.

If not winning the title can be more impressive than 2019 MN was more impressive than quite a few big ten titles, like Joe Tiller’s, a couple of Barry Alvarez’

But, it isn’t. We just disagree.

meanwhile that doesn’t even matter to my point. Someone defended Fitzgerald by saying that northwestern would return to being terrible without him. I simply pointed out that the two coaches preceding him achieved more. And you rebutted that they achieved the same amount. Which doesn’t detract from the point I was making.

Top Bottom