Punter Peter Mortell earns full scholarship!

GopherLady

Reaction score
I know that this was in the Sports Huddle notes, but I think it kind of got buried, so I thought it would re-post it, as he just shot me a message. He is not taking this for granted, he told me that "I'm going to prove I deserved one as time goes on."

I have to tell you, I really like this kid. He's the epitome of a walk-on that you want to earn a full scholarship, he's bright, articulate, humble, and on top of - a terrific punter.

He was the Big 10 special teams player of the week this year. Here are some of his other accomplishments from Gophersports:

Played in 13 games and handled all punting and holding duties • punted 62 times for 2,687 yards (ninth all-time in team history) • average punt of 43.3 yards was third in the Big Ten and ranks third all-time in team history • recorded 15 punts of 50 yards or more and placed 21 punts inside the 20-yard line • had 12 punts fair caught, while six were touchbacks • named Honorable Mention All-Big Ten by the coaches and media • named Academic All-Big Ten.

Congratulations to Peter, he certainly deserves this! I'm just glad he's only a sophomore.

Great thread.

He definitely deserves the scholarship and GL is right, he's the epitome of walk-on success. Walk-ons have been a big part of our success the last few years, from Aaron Hill, Cameron Botticelli to Engel, Bak, and Christiansen. It's good to see these guys getting the scholarships they deserve.

Great thread.

He definitely deserves the scholarship and GL is right, he's the epitome of walk-on success. Walk-ons have been a big part of our success the last few years, from Aaron Hill, Cameron Botticelli to Engel, Bak, and Christiansen. It's good to see these guys getting the scholarships they deserve.

I agree, I feel like Kill really does reward these kids that have proved themselves.

I agree, I feel like Kill really does reward these kids that have proved themselves.

Yep, he really does. It's pretty important for a program like ours to establish a strong walk-on program. For all of Brews bafoonery, he really did help turn around our walk-on program. Mike Rallis, Kyle Henderson, Mike Henry, Mottla, Bak, Botticelli, Hill were all walk-ons under Brew that have contributed to our turn around. Kill has done wonders since he's been here as well. I really believe Fahning will be a cog in our OL rotation, Jeff Borchardt is a guy who could very well emerge at WR, Dom Schultz is right there in the two deeps. These guys really help the program.

Too bad they can't give partial scholarships so the wealth can be spread to more players who walk-on.

I have BTN to Go and have gone back and watched games from the last two years. The improvement in punting is really a huge difference between the seasons. When your team struggles to put 20 points up per Big Ten game, field position is a big deal! I know he is just a punter, but had he gotten injured, the Gophers may not have won a Big Ten game.

Question: Had we not given him a scholarship, he could have transferred anywhere he wanted and played immediately, correct?

Thanks for the post. Congrats to Pete! He did a fantastic job this year, and as GL said, I'm so glad he's only a sophomore! Keep up the great work, Pete!

I have BTN to Go and have gone back and watched games from the last two years. The improvement in punting is really a huge difference between the seasons. When your team struggles to put 20 points up per Big Ten game, field position is a big deal! I know he is just a punter, but had he gotten injured, the Gophers may not have won a Big Ten game.

Question: Had we not given him a scholarship, he could have transferred anywhere he wanted and played immediately, correct?

If memory serves, only if he was given a scholarship. I think that is how we got Hawthorne, who didn't need to sit out a year.

Bravo! Mortell, you certainly earned it!

Awesome news. Huge, HUGE underrated part of the game. It's a game of field position, largely, and Mortell was really, really good this year.

Congratulations, Pete!!!

Yep, he really does. It's pretty important for a program like ours to establish a strong walk-on program. For all of Brews bafoonery, he really did help turn around our walk-on program. Mike Rallis, Kyle Henderson, Mike Henry, Mottla, Bak, Botticelli, Hill were all walk-ons under Brew that have contributed to our turn around. Kill has done wonders since he's been here as well. I really believe Fahning will be a cog in our OL rotation, Jeff Borchardt is a guy who could very well emerge at WR, Dom Schultz is right there in the two deeps. These guys really help the program.
This actually a really good point, I think his hit rate for walkons was as good as it was for scholarship players, for O-linemen, it may have been better.
You forgot the two brothers with the hyphenated last names who played well, one turned into a really good TE..

If memory serves, only if he was given a scholarship. I think that is how we got Hawthorne, who didn't need to sit out a year.

You cannot have taken any aid of any kind. I think that includes grant in aid. That alone eliminates most walk-ons from transferring for "free".

Congrats Peter ! The brothers were from Redwood Falls. Center and Tight end Tow Arnett ?

Top Bottom