Press Conference at 11:00 CDT

Everyone criticized pitino for not having a system. People now welcoming guy with no known system and are asking those questioning this to be all in or get out. I feel like im in some kind of Twilight zone right now.
The ol’ hard nosed grit system. It’s hard to explain but you’ll know it when you see it

Coyle desperately trying to justify this and sounds like he wasn't prepared to be questioned. Why in the world does he think that Johnson is going to be a great in state recruiter? Bamboozled. I wonder if the many head coaches he consulted were our rivals

He said it will be based on personnel. He doesn't know what his team is going to look like yet. Would you prefer he just throws out some style he doesn't have the personnel for (like Richard did) in the press conference?

I respect the fact that he isn't going to make a commitment to something that he doesn't have enough info on yet.
He doesn’t have enough info because he doesn’t have a system. There isn’t a plan. So every year when the personnel changes he may change? Watched that for 8 years already.

Did you want him to grab a white board and draw up some plays for you?
He did provide more detail than that in his answer as well. Talked about how personnel can dictate the offense, talked about tempo, talked about three point shooting and the need for shooters.
So he said everything without saying anything. I get it’s a press conference but there are obvious reasons for concerns. These are red flags. Just like with Pitino.

I wouldn't advise that as a negotiating strategy or pout them on blast, especially if they're presently employed of looking at several schools.
Dont have to name names, at least indicate you have a plan to some degree.

A lot of fluff as expected, i wanna hear about his staff.
Disappointed that there was only one question re staff but no questions about a deadline as to when that process will start or hopefully completed. Is he looking to hire a former Division 1 coach like Howard at Michigan did.

Color me impressed with Coach Johnson as he said all the right things. This was a great start and IMO he hit it well, maybe out of the park!

We all know he has much to prove and, like Fleck sand Whalen, will have an uphill battle to get the Gophers to the upper crust of the BIG.

Best wishes to Coach Johnson and welcome aboard!

OMG. You're truly insufferable. I thought maybe you sobered up from last night
I had two beers last night. I’m sorry you don’t agree with me? I want Johnson to be great. I hope 30 years from now he retires and we unveil a statue outside of Williams Arena brought to you by Chanhassen Crypto on Johnson (& Johnson) court in the newly renovated Pitino Plasma Plaza (he is our AD now, long story) and just across the street from Bankers Bank Stadium and Fleck Fries Field (became a fast food magnate with Kris Humphries, oddly. Left Heather, Married Kim K)

If you watched the press conference and are not sold on this hire, that’s on you. Coach Johnson had all the right answers. I wish him well. Go Gophers.
Ben did well. He oozes integrity. I like that and it may take us further than we think. All the best to him and the Gophers!

I thought Ben did well. I don't get the criticism about the playing style given the forum. The interview with Grimm he discussed the importance of moving the ball, finding good shots, and having skilled shooters. If Ben can keep the next Garcia or Wright home, he'll be fine.

That's a fair point, but my counter is the following -

Maybe he has to see whose going to stay on the roster first to figure it out.
Then we’re already behind. Have a system, struggle through it for a year or two and then have your guys in at that point. He can choose his system and recruit to it. We begged Pitino to do it and he never did.

Coyle with a shout out to my favorite fictional move characters of all time -

1616518512328.png

There was some good here. I liked his answer that the style of play will depend on personnel. Can’t stand when a coach is trying to make square pegs fit in round holes when it comes to style of play. Also like that he mentioned an emphasis on shooting and skills in recruitment. I realize athleticism can’t really be taught, but you still need people who can shoot the ball and we haven’t had nearly enough of those recently.

I wouldn’t say he “won” the press conference (doesn’t really strike me as a high energy guy), but he certainly didn’t lose it. I didn’t hear anything that made me think he’s stupid.

He’s our guy. Going to be very curious to see who he hires as assistants, and also really hope he is able to land a couple big fish early to build some recruiting momentum.

He doesn’t have enough info because he doesn’t have a system. There isn’t a plan. So every year when the personnel changes he may change? Watched that for 8 years already.
The Grimm interview helped me. He wants to play tough defensively and get up and down the court on offense. But he realizes that pace depends on the players you have. Pitino figured that one out too late. He wanted to get up and down the court, shoot threes and layups, but could never get the horses to do it. I do agree that you have to adjust the pace of your offense a bit to the players you can get. No reason to compromise anything on defense- you just have to be smart and tough consistently.

Top Bottom