Press Conference at 11:00 CDT

TNGophfan

Reaction score
Will be interesting to watch and see what gets asked. Think there will be any word on assisstants?

Looking forward to it...these press conferences can really help talk people (like myself) off the ledge

I'll be interested to see if the reporters only toss softballs at him, or if they ask real questions. I'm assuming all the reporters/columnists LOVE this hire, as they already know him and might already have a rapore with him (hell, as an assistant coach, he could have been a source for some of them). Of course, the press conference ultimately means very little. I was ready to run through a brick wall after seeing Brewster's press conference.

I'll be interested to see if the reporters only toss softballs at him, or if they ask real questions. I'm assuming all the reporters/columnists LOVE this hire, as they already know him and might already have a rapore with him (hell, as an assistant coach, he could have been a source for some of them). Of course, the press conference ultimately means very little. I was ready to run through a brick wall after seeing Brewster's press conference.

Maybe they'll be a B10 report or someone else who may push it a bit?

Short statement from the president, coyle gives much thanks to search committee.

I am not sure that this hire will help us with the tier 1 Minnesota guys but I do think it’ll help us with the tier 2 Minnesota guys. If he can bring them in and have some success eventually maybe the great ones will come too.

we will see.
Worst case scenario, we play on day one of the big ten tourney

I suppose worst case is 14th of 14 in the Big Ten. We are already pretty darn close to that.......

I loved the dismissive way he answered Scoggins question about when he was going to start calling recruits.

Good press conference fwiw. I am partial to coaches who are somewhat on the understated side so like that about johnson. Seems like the kind of person for whom it is easy to wish success. If gets recruiting rolling, bb fans will get behind him and excitement will build.

Last edited:

Good press conference fwiw. I am partial to coaches who are somewhat on the understated side so like that about johnson.
A lot of fluff as expected, i wanna hear about his staff.

Coach Johnson on team playing style:

"We're going to be hard-nosed. I want grit. It's gonna get a little dirty. But we're going to battle."

THIS IS WHY IM CONCERNED. He says nothing. So you want to be hard-nosed and have grit. New offense I’m not familiar with?

“Alright guys! We’re down 6, just under 4 minutes left. On defense I want to be hard nosed. Offense let’s be gritty. That is all I got for you so umm...do that! You’re all local kids, you’ll be fine out there”

"We're going to be hard-nosed. I want grit. It's gonna get a little dirty. But we're going to battle."

THIS IS WHY IM CONCERNED. He says nothing. So you want to be hard-nosed and have grit. New offense I’m not familiar with?

“Alright guys! We’re down 6, just under 4 minutes left. On defense I want to be hard nosed. Offense let’s be gritty. That is all I got for you so umm...do that! You’re all local kids, you’ll be fine out there”

He said it will be based on personnel. He doesn't know what his team is going to look like yet. Would you prefer he just throws out some style he doesn't have the personnel for (like Richard did) in the press conference?

I respect the fact that he isn't going to make a commitment to something that he doesn't have enough info on yet.

Did you want him to grab a white board and draw up some plays for you?
He did provide more detail than that in his answer as well. Talked about how personnel can dictate the offense, talked about tempo, talked about three point shooting and the need for shooters.

C'mon man, you think you're going to get some in depth look into his strategy from a introductory press conference?

Everyone criticized pitino for not having a system. People now welcoming guy with no known system and are asking those questioning this to be all in or get out. I feel like im in some kind of Twilight zone right now.

Just like he can't talk about recruits he hasn't signed yet, did you really expect him to discuss assistants that haven't been finalized yet?
Are there violations involved in dicussing possible assistants?

Love the question regarding 3s from The Daily reporter.

Let the school newspaper ask the hard ones - LOL.

Top Bottom