Prep Bowl Thread.....

Anderson and grant are the worst in the state when dealing with officials. They whine all game that the other team is illegal and then one flag on them and they flip out. All this while they are usually up 20 points. Though I'll say Anderson is more liked in the coaching community than grant.

I'm just an old guy complaining, but when I played (mostly basketball), if a coach or a player even looked crosswise at an ump/ref, it was a T or a flag.

Grant is probably this era's George Thole. I loved George, but he was probably a bit too glib at times. I get the same vibe from Grant.

Instead of having the top class be 32 teams they should have had the top class be about 8 teams.
why not a 17 team class? Rosemount is #18, so that's all that matters, right? The message we should be sending to our kids is "you're never going to be good enough to play against Wayzata, EP, Minnetonka, so don't even try--their expensive weight rooms have magical weights that make them faster, stronger and more skilled".

Bob,
On the comment about players from small towns often not being able to play D3: My HS is 1A and last year we had 3 players that were offered scholarships by D2 schools, and would've had more if there was more interest from the players. I've heard a couple of this years players are getting looked at by St. Thomas and others by some Jucos. You're comment was WAY off.

why not a 17 team class? Rosemount is #18, so that's all that matters, right? The message we should be sending to our kids is "you're never going to be good enough to play against Wayzata, EP, Minnetonka, so don't even try--their expensive weight rooms have magical weights that make them faster, stronger and more skilled".
If you know anything about me you'd know while I am from Rosemount it is not where my rooting interests lie.

That being said, Wayzata playing Rosemount is the equivelant in terms of number of students of Rosemount playing an enrollment 1000 kid of school. I would say that's not fair or good for any kids involved either.
I have no problem when my team plays the Eden prairies and wayzatas of the world. We enjoy the games. My last two games against what I consider the superpowers we are 0-2 losing 24-7 and 17-7.
Putting Minneapolis southwest in the same class with Eden prairie doesn't help kids at either school.
Do you think it is?

Sadly Minnesota high school football has become about obnoxious community members and less about what's good for kids.

If you know anything about me you'd know while I am from Rosemount it is not where my rooting interests lie.

That being said, Wayzata playing Rosemount is the equivelant in terms of number of students of Rosemount playing an enrollment 1000 kid of school. I would say that's not fair or good for any kids involved either.
I have no problem when my team plays the Eden prairies and wayzatas of the world. We enjoy the games. My last two games against what I consider the superpowers we are 0-2 losing 24-7 and 17-7.
Putting Minneapolis southwest in the same class with Eden prairie doesn't help kids at either school.
Do you think it is?

Sadly Minnesota high school football has become about obnoxious community members and less about what's good for kids.
How is Wayzata playing Rosemount unfair? This isn't D3 vs D1 or D2 where there are different rules about how many scholarships you can offer, or how many practices you can run. The High Schools all play be the same rules. Perhaps we're concentrating too much on the tournament itself. If you can't win 5 games in the regular season, maybe you didn't earn a trip to the post-season. But if I'm the Minneapolis Southwest kid, I'd want to schedule EP in the regular season. Big stage, learning opportunity. If Southwest doesn't ever play the big powers, the talented kid in minneapolis is going to be even more likely to transfer out to EP to get on that stage and get better. The talent/effort is out there at all high schools, but the adults in charge are far too interested in winning, than what is best for the kids.

Rocori has a 6'4" 220 lb linebacker adam dingman? Not sure the sp of his last name? He appears to be the real deal, he is absolutely dominating bemidji-anyone know about him?

You are not even worth talking to. If you can't see the advantages a school of 3200 has over a school of 2000 you are blind.

Let's just go to one class. New ulm cathedral should want to play against Wayzata.

You are not even worth talking to. If you can't see the advantages a school of 3200 has over a school of 2000 you are blind.

Let's just go to one class. New ulm cathedral should want to play against Wayzata.
No they don't! Lol, at least I wouldn't have wanted to go to that game. We only had 140 kids in the high school last year, and my graduating class had 20 more kids than the class coming in.

Well after talking to a few friends from Wayzata and seeing a few games I don't think the Underhill kid is someone to place your chips on? From my understanding this kid isn't a team player at all. Heard he would come to practices 30-40 mins late with nothing being done from coaches at all, not to mention doesn't like to workout? The line he ran with last year isn't the line they have this year. I had a chance to watch the Trojans play this year and witness this kid on the sidelines texting and making phone calls even lying down with his shoes off at the Edina game?? From what I've seen I don't think he is a player that can take or dish out many hits unless he gains 10-20 pounds. Big 10 caliber??? Let's be serious!! Guess that's what happens some coaches treat kids like the second coming??

Well after talking to a few friends from Wayzata and seeing a few games I don't think the Underhill kid is someone to place your chips on? From my understanding this kid isn't a team player at all. Heard he would come to practices 30-40 mins late with nothing being done from coaches at all, not to mention doesn't like to workout? The line he ran with last year isn't the line they have this year. I had a chance to watch the Trojans play this year and witness this kid on the sidelines texting and making phone calls even lying down with his shoes off at the Edina game?? From what I've seen I don't think he is a player that can take or dish out many hits unless he gains 10-20 pounds. Big 10 caliber??? Let's be serious!! Guess that's what happens when some coaches treat kids like the second coming??

Oh my fault, yeah, there are some good juniors in this game tonight as well. I'm not sure how it will all unfold with these players as far as if they are Big 10 caliber. But here is the kids who come to mind:

Tyson Reinke - DT - EP-He is a really impressive football player. Pretty athletic for being over 250, he's tall, plays some fullback in short yardage, plays a little bit of offense, but I think his future is at DT. He'll be one of the better players on the field tonight.

Mitch Underhill - RB - WayzataHe won't be playing because he tore his ACL early in the season but he is an impressive kid. He is small but a really good runner. He was awesome as a sophomore and went for like 240 yards in the Prep Bowl last year (as a Soph). Wayzata has a more speed kid named Roti and Ford as their workhorses, but Underhill might have been their true #1. Unfortunately, he won't be playing but he is a name to keep an eye out for.

Chris Wipson - LB - WayzataI've seen him play a couple times and he is going to be really good. I think he's already over 200 lbs, tough, one of the better players in this entire game. He's a kid that I think we will all be following as a recruit.

Chandler Wright - OL - WayzataHe is GOOD. He really stands out and kind of plays like Tommy Olson did in HS (with a mean streak and dominating). He is from Louisiana and I don't know his story of how he got here, but he is REALLY good. I'd have to think he is a D1 player. I hope he's liked MN so far, if not he might be more of a MN player who really isn't a instate recruit (ala Nick Davidson). But he's a kid to watch out for.

Jack Cottrell - LB - EPHe is also a really good player. He's fast and a good tackler. He could certainly end up a BCS quality recruit.

I've only seen these guys play a few times over the past couple of years. I know more about the east metro than the west metro. I grew up in Saint Paul. But these are the juniors who definitely stand out. Some of the other posters are more familiar with the Lake Conference than I am, so they might know more...
Well after talking to a few friends from Wayzata and seeing a few games I don't think the Underhill kid is someone to place your chips on? From my understanding this kid isn't a team player at all. Heard he would come to practices 30-40 mins late with nothing being done from coaches at all, not to mention doesn't like to workout? The line he ran with last year isn't the line they have this year. I had a chance to watch the Trojans play this year and witness this kid on the sidelines texting and making phone calls even lying down with his shoes off at the Edina game?? From what I've seen I don't think he is a player that can take or dish out many hits unless he gains 10-20 pounds. Big 10 caliber??? Let's be serious!! Guess that's what happens when some coaches treat kids like the second coming??

Top Bottom