Pregame this year.

mnsportcat

Reaction score
Do you think coach Kill will have the players walk (gasp 3 blocks) from Bierman and actually have some contact with fans. I always thought the bus trip was overkill(no pun intended). Just would like a more fan friendly pregame. If you look at you tube video of big time programs they are all giving kids hi fives and interacting with the fans. Would just like a different tradition than the Brewster era.

Do you think coach Kill will have the players walk (gasp 3 blocks) from Bierman and actually have some contact with fans. I always thought the bus trip was overkill(no pun intended). Hate the MP3's also.

Actually, I think they stay at a hotel off campus (not the Radisson). That's why the bus.

Do you think coach Kill will have the players walk (gasp 3 blocks) from Bierman and actually have some contact with fans. I always thought the bus trip was overkill(no pun intended). Hate the MP3's also.

Yeah.. they stay in a hotel (I believe downtown), so the bus is kinda mandatory. And the MP3s? Seriously? Dude, that a pregame ritual for most football players. Taking them out of that routine to what? Talk to fans? No dude. They are there to play and win a football game. Not to carry conversations with every Joe Schmoe that's at the Victory Walk.

Ridiculous post, IMO.

Yeah.. they stay in a hotel (I believe downtown), so the bus is kinda mandatory. And the MP3s? Seriously? Dude, that a pregame ritual for most football players. Taking them out of that routine to what? Talk to fans? No dude. They are there to play and win a football game. Not to carry conversations with every Joe Schmoe that's at the Victory Walk.

Ridiculous post, IMO.

Boom, roasted!

Maybe we can make them ride to the stadium on floats, wave to the fans, blow us kisses, all while throwing candy. That seems about as appropriate as making them ditch their ipods...

Was the OP out of line or something? He was just asking a question and stating an opinion. We've got some internet tough guys on here.

internet-tough-guy.jpg

And some people wonder why new members are nervous about posting on this sight.

Not out of line. Lots of good reasons why it isn't a good idea which should be given but no need to cut the noob off at the knees either.

Well he doesn't have to add in the (gasp 3 blocks) either. Everything has to be a little poke at the old Brewster era. Maybe he wasn't a great coach, but there's no reason to take shots at him at every opportunity. OP was asking for it if you ask me.

Well he doesn't have to add in the (gasp 3 blocks) either. Everything has to be a little poke at the old Brewster era. Maybe he wasn't a great coach, but there's no reason to take shots at him at every opportunity. OP was asking for it if you ask me.

Yea, but he'll learn quick or turn out to be an LIG style poster who can be dismissed quickly enough. Probably best to blow up the "gasp 3 blocks" with facts and leave it at that.

Ridiculous post, IMO.

In the early days did the players walk to the stadium listening to music on their record players?

In the early days did the players walk to the stadium listening to music on their record players?

Didn't you see those early pictures of Pudge Heffelfinger listening to his Victrola on the way to Northrop Field?

Probably not, but I bet Ricky Foggie strolled down the tunnel into the Dump jamming to a mix tape of Morris Day and The Time in his Walkman.

Lots of teams do some kind of victory walk leading over to the stadium...and not allowing headphones during the walk is common...the players connecting with the fans is usually a positive in so many ways...and the fans cheering their team gets them pumped...plus it is usually a couple of hours before the game so its not like they don't have plenty of time to get ready...great if the band could walk down University and line up to play for the players walking over from Bierman...would be a great pregrame tradition.

We have to start building new traditions at some point...and looking to schools that have some kind of pregame walk like Nebraska, Florida, LSU, Alabama and I think scUM isn't a bad place to start...IMO.

On the MP3s...

I have to admit that I noted the MP3s, Ipods, etc. for the Victory Walks I attended. Tended to be the team members toward the back of the procession. The players at the start were engaged with the fans...but it dropped off as the team progressed.

I decided it's just a generational thing. I'm older and they're younger. I wouldn't do it but they are the ones making their way to the field...not me. If listening to music, class notes, sea sounds, or howling wolves prepares them mentally for the game...so be it.

I also have to admit if the only thing permitted was "The Rouser," "The Minnesota March," or "Hail Minnesota," I'd think it was great.

What I'm saying is that one day that I'm hoping the Victory Walk really IS meaningful to the ENTIRE entourage such that ALL...fans and team...would be PUMPED by the experience itself...without the background sounds.

Until then, so be it. Rock On...Rap On...etc.

Go Gophers! Get Conditioned.

Not out of line. Lots of good reasons why it isn't a good idea which should be given but no need to cut the noob off at the knees either.

Not sure if you were saying this in general or directed towards me.. But I didn't blast the guy off at the knees. I'm all for new posters and I have been pretty damn hard on people here who blast them. I just stated what I thought was a ridiculous 'concern' (MP3 players).

I don't think those players listened to music to get amped up, though either. Different era, different methods.

It's okay to be frustrated, but try to control the cheap shots to something actually relevant to performance.

Not sure if you were saying this in general or directed towards me.. But I didn't blast the guy off at the knees. I'm all for new posters and I have been pretty damn hard on people here who blast them. I just stated what I thought was a ridiculous 'concern' (MP3 players).

In general, not you. :)

In the olden days they didn't need MP3 players to get jacked up for game day. In those days, a little booger sugar did the trick. Candy makes you dandy.

That is kind of what I have been thinking.

We should then get rid of facemasks, artificial turf, and video boards as well because they didn't use them in the olden days. Might as well get rid of lights at the stadiums and go back to old wooden benches for all the fans too.

We should then get rid of facemasks, artificial turf, and video boards as well because they didn't use them in the olden days. Might as well get rid of lights at the stadiums and go back to old wooden benches for all the fans too.

Also prior to the 60's most teams won with white players so let's get rid of anybody who isn't white.

I guess I have yet to see a team do a walk that didn't have players with MP3 players. I'm pretty sure I saw Cam Newton with an iPod along with several other Auburn players, and it seemed to work out alright for them.

I think sometimes you have to ask whether the discipline is really accomplishing anything. Things like no baseball hats, or no MP3 players or wearing a certain color shirt. Until someone shows a distinct correlation to winning Big 10 titles / national titles and not listening to MP3 players, I say pump up the volume.

Top Bottom