Prediction Thread: Which Gopher player will be the first to enter the transfer portal?

For what it's worth, you should check out Durr and Micah's Twitter feeds and likes. Both seem very concerned with playing this SEASON, supportive of the B1G's decision , and committed to Gopher football.

Durr's tweets yesterday are exactly why I am concerned about this scenario. He tweeted about not wanting to play a half-season while trying to build draft stock. If it comes out that the B1G is trying to play a shortened Spring season then his tweets today might not mean much.

I don't really think it is in many players best interest to transfer if their goal is the NFL. Take a hypothetical where all B1G and PAC player are eligible immediately elsewhere. The players would have to learn a new system and win a starting job in the span of ... a month? For the absolute elite that could be possible/probable, but the absolute elite are going to be drafted anyway. They are better off training for the NFL draft than risking injury (not even talking COVID-19) by playing for a new school. For everyone else there is a chance they don't even earn a starting position or look worse in a new system.

If you are a Senior and have little to no NFL future, but simply love the game and want to experience one more season before moving on with your life? For that type of player a transfer makes sense. Maybe someone like Winston D from last years Gophers. Clearly too small to be on the NFL's radar but could be workmanlike rotation piece for a lot of power 5 defensive lines.

Durr's tweets yesterday are exactly why I am concerned about this scenario. He tweeted about not wanting to play a half-season while trying to build draft stock. If it comes out that the B1G is trying to play a shortened Spring season then his tweets today might not mean much.
I took it more like it's not worth even trying anywhere this fall season given the likelihood of missed or cancelled games due to COVID positives. His latest tweet: Stay Tuned Gopher Fans it’ll be worth the wait trust me !〽️ #RTB

I don't think you need to be worried about more than 2-3 players in all of the B1G transferring to another school and playing right away. They would need to be grad transfers and top-top players. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the B1G is pushing for a spring season. That season will be played during the NFL draft, and abbreviated which will hurt anyone who wasn't already a round 1-3 draft pick (all of those players will have already opted out).

Moreover, I think the B1G is going to look at the scholarship situation and realize that they will need to toll these players if they want to keep budgets under control. That means possibly no opt-out on the spring season or an automatic toll anyway. That's what they did with spring athletes this year. If you were a senior, then you were just done, too bad for you.

If you're a player like Durr in that situation, then it would be in your best interest to transfer and sit out for a season rather than play only 2-3 games in the spring before the draft.

A spring season will require a ton of work and the fact that they just floated the idea instead of laying out an actual timeline tells me that they haven't even begun sorting through all of the implications of what they're suggesting.

Good points. Was there no way for the Spring sports to bring back Seniors even if they had scholarships open for the next year? If you could do that, the Gophers would definitely make room for the Durr's of the world while moving on from guys like Trenton Guthrie (redshirt JR this year). I know you were just using Durr as a hypothetical, but I think with his injury issue and the fact that he's already a redshirt senior (making him an older prospect), I don't think he'd have any interest in sitting out a season to play anywhere. It is too bad that it's very like some/all of the Seniors this year have likely played their last game of football and didn't know it.

I took it more like it's not worth even trying anywhere this fall season given the likelihood of missed or cancelled games due to COVID positives. His latest tweet: Stay Tuned Gopher Fans it’ll be worth the wait trust me !〽 #RTB

They all think there’s going to be a Spring season.

I still think Opt outs are going to be a way bigger issue than transfers. For example, Fields is almost certainly done at Ohio State. If Clemson pushes to the Spring, Lawrence probably opts out to get ready for the draft. And there will be lots of other top players that will do the same.

If the Spring season happens it will be lacking in a lot of star power across college football.

The ACC, Big 12 and SEC are holding onto the hope of playing this fall but I really think it is just a matter of time until they pack it in just like the BIG and Pac 12.

https://twitter.com/_Colossal18/status/1293298548507893760
https://twitter.com/5100keys/status/1293301697335394312
https://twitter.com/abnertrillions/status/1293276552155758596

While this is no where near everyone on the team, looks like a lot of the leaders on the team are unified on continuing to RTB and look toward spring or fall 2021. Fleck builds a player lead team, so I would not expect many, if any, players enter the transfer portal.
Pretty powerful stuff. Thanks

Not COVID related though, he's graduating this fall and hasn't seen the field much in his time here.
Of course it’s Covid related. Unless you believe he would have gone through fall camp and entered the portal a week before the 1st game.

Of course it’s Covid related. Unless you believe he would have gone through fall camp and entered the portal a week before the 1st game.
He's going to be a grad transfer? Sure he announced earlier, but it's not like he wouldn't have left after the season if we did play in fall.

He's going to be a grad transfer? Sure he announced earlier, but it's not like he wouldn't have left after the season if we did play in fall.

Galt's just being a b*tch. He knows this does nothing to prove his prediction right. But he's going to act like he was right. Robinson isn't even transferring until after the semester! 😂 😂 😂

The timing might be covid related, but the transfer itself wasn't unless he made a giant leap up the depth chart this fall. It sounds like he didn't.

He has get the final credits he needs to earn his degree first. You can't grad transfer until you have your degree.

That's obviously why.

JG is a lazy troll liar.

Damn. Saw that it is being reported Curtis Dunlap entered the portal.

Wonder if he wants to get back closer to home?

Top Bottom