Prediction Thread: Which Gopher player will be the first to enter the transfer portal?

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
If you think none will, that’s an acceptable answer.

I’ll go with either Durr or St-Juste.

Are you assuming that guys will enter the portal looking for a place to play this fall?

There isn't going to be any college football this fall. It was only going to take one power 5 conference to make this call, the rest will follow suit shortly.

So if you are asking who will transfer based on the decision the conference just made I would say nobody. A better question might be who will opt out of the spring season in order to get ready for the 2021 draft. I could see guys like Durr and St. Juste opting out if they feel like there is little to gain by playing the season in regards to their draft position.

If there is spring football (which I don't think there will be) do you think there would be a supplemental NFL draft later, around mid-summer for guys like Durr who play spring ball to showcase their skills? I mean, the NFL draft is in April, so...

If there is spring football (which I don't think there will be) do you think there would be a supplemental NFL draft later, around mid-summer for guys like Durr who play spring ball to showcase their skills? I mean, the NFL draft is in April, so...

Durr is so underrated. He may be a slot corner at the next level, but he deserves a long look for sure.

No idea, but don’t see why this recent events would be any kind of influence. They might be the stated excuse though.

Plus, those other schools rosters are probably full at this point.

Plus, those other schools rosters are probably full at this point.
That one WR who played at the crappy red school over by Iowa, is looking incredibly “lucky” now. Assuming he wants to play this fall and doesn’t get covid from playing.

The two that I mentioned would be grad transfers.
Didn’t BSJ grad transfer here from Michigan? Did he already graduate again, and does the NCAA allow the rule to be used twice? Would have to be a first.

Didn’t BSJ grad transfer here from Michigan? Did he already graduate again, and does the NCAA allow the rule to be used twice? Would have to be a first.

He actually did graduate again, since he now has his Masters degree. I’m not sure on the rule, tbh.

He actually did graduate again, since he now has his Masters degree. I’m not sure on the rule, tbh.
Wow. Good for him!! He graduated Michigan with an undergrad degree in like 2.5 calendar years or something. (might be off a bit, but seemed really quick)

If he wants to grad transfer another time, he has certainly earned that, in my opinion. If he does, I will wish him the best of luck!

I wouldn't be surprised to see some incoming freshman transferring. And nation-wide, I would expect to see way more transfers this year. If everybody is unable to play this year, and you were on the fence about transferring and having to sit a year, you may as well do it this year where you weren't going to play anyway.

I would expect to see a higher-than-average amount of retirements, too. Again, if you were on the fence about playing again or the availability of playing time, are you going to sit around for a year (potentially putting your career on hold) to come back for a 4th/5th/6th year in 2021?

I wouldn't be surprised to see some incoming freshman transferring. And nation-wide, I would expect to see way more transfers this year. If everybody is unable to play this year, and you were on the fence about transferring and having to sit a year, you may as well do it this year where you weren't going to play anyway.

I would expect to see a higher-than-average amount of retirements, too. Again, if you were on the fence about playing again or the availability of playing time, are you going to sit around for a year (potentially putting your career on hold) to come back for a 4th/5th/6th year in 2021?

Yeah, I thought about the freshman too. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in the immediate future. Eventually, someone will enter the portal, and there’s a good chance recent events will play a role.

I think any senior with potential to start elsewhere would be pretty crazy not to try to transfer. That means Schlueter, Olson, Durr, Dew-Treadway, St. Juste, Harris, et. al.

The worst case scenario for these players is the B1G tries to put on a Spring season and then tolls their eligibility without giving them a real chance to impress NFL scouting staffs. Every one of them should at a minimum throw their name in the hat to see if anyone in the ACC or SEC bites.

Where are they going to go?

Can't transfer anywhere and play this year. So it would have to be a player who is not happy at MN and is willing to sit out a year as a transfer, or hope they get lucky in the NCAA waiver roulette wheel.

IMHO, the Gophers are not going to lose any key players to the transfer portal. anyone who does want to transfer will be someone looking for playing time or a different system - more likely an underclassman who is down on the depth chart and doesn't see an immediate path to starting.

Where are they going to go?

Can't transfer anywhere and play this year. So it would have to be a player who is not happy at MN and is willing to sit out a year as a transfer, or hope they get lucky in the NCAA waiver roulette wheel.

IMHO, the Gophers are not going to lose any key players to the transfer portal. anyone who does want to transfer will be someone looking for playing time or a different system - more likely an underclassman who is down on the depth chart and doesn't see an immediate path to starting.

The reason that I think they're going to transfer is that the B1G is acting like they are going to try to toll their eligibility with an abbreviated Spring season. ("We're planning to play in the Spring...")

It would be far better for them to transfer and sit out a year than play an abbreviated season that interferes with draft preparation. Players were already thinking about opting out to preserve their eligibility in case the season was cut short. I'm sure they're going to be looking at whatever they need to do to preserve eligibility in this situation as well.

Perhaps to the Big 12? Or, to the ACC or SEC, if they decide to play. If they all do, the Big Ten is so screwed.

Again, though, those teams would have to have a roster spot at this late date. I would bet almost all of them are at the 85 limit.

Again, though, those teams would have to have a roster spot at this late date. I would bet almost all of them are at the 85 limit.

Let’s say, for arguments sake, Justin Fields enters the portal. Do you think he would find a landing spot? How would we have made room for Spielman, or Fields, from Arizona? I’m assuming they would found a way.

Let’s say, for arguments sake, Justin Fields enters the portal. Do you think he would find a landing spot? How would we have made room for Spielman? I’m assuming they would found a way.
You may be right for a special player or two but widespread transferring doesn't fit the landscape in my opinion.

I think any senior with potential to start elsewhere would be pretty crazy not to try to transfer. That means Schlueter, Olson, Durr, Dew-Treadway, St. Juste, Harris, et. al.

The worst case scenario for these players is the B1G tries to put on a Spring season and then tolls their eligibility without giving them a real chance to impress NFL scouting staffs. Every one of them should at a minimum throw their name in the hat to see if anyone in the ACC or SEC bites.
For what it's worth, you should check out Durr and Micah's Twitter feeds and likes. Both seem very concerned with playing this SEASON, supportive of the B1G's decision , and committed to Gopher football.

For what it's worth, you should check out Durr and Micah's Twitter feeds and likes. Both seem very concerned with playing this SEASON, supportive of the B1G's decision , and committed to Gopher football.
Good advice. We have fans on here who think anyone who does not want to play are stupid and a coward.

Not sure about transfers, but I could see guys like Dunlop, Faalele, and Andries opt out of the spring season and start preparing for the NFL draft like Bateman.

Top Bottom