Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB

This fan likes playing for the Rose Bowl. I think this likely ruins it. Also it probably further diminishes lesser bowls - not that they aren’t trivial already. I still think split national champions is good for the game. That allows comparisons to be made for all eternity.

National Championship at US Bank Stadium will be nice.

A solution to the problem of a team like Virginia miraculously winning against Clemson in the ACC Championship and qualifying is to have caveats on the auto bids. Something like you can't have more than 2 conference losses, otherwise that spot becomes an at-large.

Or just do away with divisions. Though that becomes more difficult with the trend towards mega conferences and certainly decreases interest for a lot of fans as the season progresses and the conference Ls start to come.

As to the bolded, we don’t know how good Clemson is this year. It isn’t the same team as 2018, or 2017, or 2016. Probably pretty darn good, yeah, but if Virginia had win then they absolutely get the right to go forward. Similar as to MN going to the CFP if they had won the Big Ten. Results matter, not eye test or resume.

Or just do away with divisions. Though that becomes more difficult with the trend towards mega conferences and certainly decreases interest for a lot of fans as the season progresses and the conference Ls start to come.

As to the bolded, we don’t know how good Clemson is this year. It isn’t the same team as 2018, or 2017, or 2016. Probably pretty darn good, yeah, but if Virginia had win then they absolutely get the right to go forward. Similar as to MN going to the CFP if they had won the Big Ten. Results matter, not eye test or resume.
If you did away with divisions Clemson’s opponent in the ACC title game would’ve been...wait for it...Virginia

But I agree 100% on conference title.
People think I’m crazy but I’d rather see all 10 conference champions in before a second or third place team.

this isn’t the nfl where there are 32 teams and the schedule is such where you can clearly tell based on record alone who belongs in the playoff. Any rating is subjective in college football. So we should use the little evidence that is objective that we do have to help us.
If you aren’t the best team in your conference, you aren’t the best team in the country.

This year it would've been Baylor though, not Alabama. Think it would be like this, if I understand where they're going correctly.

Sugar quarter final - LSU vs OU
Rose quarter final - OSU vs Oregon
Orange quarter final - Clemson vs Georgia
Fiesta quarter final - Baylor vs Memphis

Fiesta and Rose lead into the Cotton
Sugar and Orange lead into the Peach

Natty I would prefer remain as a bid out game to an NFL stadium somewhere (LA, Vegas, New Orleans, Minneapolis!)
It might be Baylor for that 7th spot, but with the way the CFP committee has selected teams and the ESPN influence of SEC superiority, I don't see how an 8 team playoff won't include 2 SEC teams every year and some years 3.
In your bracket above, why would Baylor get Memphis in quarters?
By CFP Rankings it would be
#1 LSU-#8 Memphis
#4 OU-#5 Georgia
#3 Clemson-#6 Oregon
#2 OSU-#7 Baylor
I'd like to see quarters at higher seed, then semi's like now at a Bowl site, then bid out the National Title to anywhere in US with a large stadium.

People think I’m crazy but I’d rather see all 10 conference champions in before a second or third place team.

this isn’t the nfl where there are 32 teams and the schedule is such where you can clearly tell based on record alone who belongs in the playoff. Any rating is subjective in college football. So we should use the little evidence that is objective that we do have to help us.
If you aren’t the best team in your conference, you aren’t the best team in the country.

Finally someone agrees with me!

Nothing is going to change.
If a BIG team was not in the group this year change was possible. Particularly with SEC and ACC teams playing one less conference game and the ACC being a dumpster fire.The Pac 12 suffers from poor TV coverage and the Big 12 cannot spell defense.
If Clemson is mauled which I hope happens the ACC may lose some regard for next years CFB but their coach is almost as good as Fleck in spreading BS.
TV folks are happy with this and the University Presidents do not want a prolonged play off schedule.
Do not ask why.

The nostalgic part of me does prefer the way things used to be with only bowl games. However, the moment they chose a playoff model, the entire bowl system future became a NIT equivalent. I still think they are cool and add to FBS uniqueness - but regarding championship football, a famous bowl game is no longer the prize. In fact, with the current 4 team system, 2 NY6 bowls are consolation prizes. That's just not right. This is why I say just stamp the playoffs at 8 or more. Put the NY6 in there, and let the rest of the bowl games finally just be NIT. Just my cents.

Last edited:

Nothing is going to change.
If a BIG team was not in the group this year change was possible. Particularly with SEC and ACC teams playing one less conference game and the ACC being a dumpster fire.The Pac 12 suffers from poor TV coverage and the Big 12 cannot spell defense.
If Clemson is mauled which I hope happens the ACC may lose some regard for next years CFB but their coach is almost as good as Fleck in spreading BS.
TV folks are happy with this and the University Presidents do not want a prolonged play off schedule.
Do not ask why.
giphy.webp

If you did away with divisions Clemson’s opponent in the ACC title game would’ve been...wait for it...Virginia

There wouldn’t be a conference title game.

All the hand wringing about extra games and impact on study time could be partially ameliorated. Besides, everyone “knows” who the best team in the conference is so why bother with an extraneous championship game (or playoff). Just crown em after week 5. Our rock solid conclusions after week 5, 10, 12 would surely hold up in a theoretical 100 game season.

As a fan of the game I think they should just extend to 16 right away...seems like we already need to watch the same 4 teams in the playoff already...adding 2 at large basically just puts in 2 more SEC teams that are normally in the current 4 team rotation.

16 teams adds in many more teams that are always going to be on the outside of the current playoff and gives some underdog type that the basketball tourney has.

I’d love to see this. So much more entertaining than a conference also-ran like Georgia, Alabama, Wisconsin, Penn State getting a shot. They already got their shot.

I’d love to see this. So much more entertaining than a conference also-ran like Georgia, Alabama, Wisconsin, Penn State getting a shot. They already got their shot.
True, but this would lead to more parity in college football. The bluebloods do not want parity.

True, but this would lead to more parity in college football. The bluebloods do not want parity.

That set up might drive some conference jumping too.

I don't understand the argument that a bigger playoff cheapens the regular season. Especially if the system is set up so max 2 teams from a conference, and mostly champions get in.

What it would do is lengthen the championship dream for a whole lot of fanbases. If winning the conference title becomes an auto-bid, then suddenly conference championship games would become much higher stakes, and upsets much more meaningful. A bunch of teams in shakier divisions could have a path deep into November in a lot of years (looking at us there).

A lot of the magic of the NCAA basketball tournament would be captured...even more if all FBS conference champions made it in a 16 team tourney. Most people find the first 4 days of March Madness more entertaining than the Final Four. There's something to be said for keeping hope alive longer.

Agree 100%. And I think that would boost the lower divisions as well. The only downside is it might hurt teams like the Gophers as the cream of the crop players will still go to helmet schools, but now the 4* and 3* players may opt to go to G5 schools to have a better chance to get to the playoffs.
There wouldn’t be a conference title game.

All the hand wringing about extra games and impact on study time could be partially ameliorated. Besides, everyone “knows” who the best team in the conference is so why bother with an extraneous championship game (or playoff). Just crown em after week 5. Our rock solid conclusions after week 5, 10, 12 would surely hold up in a theoretical 100 game season.
Why wouldn't there be a title game? Big 12 doesn't have divisions and has a title game. That's the same model the B1G has supposedly talked about behind closed doors.

Agree 100%. And I think that would boost the lower divisions as well. The only downside is it might hurt teams like the Gophers as the cream of the crop players will still go to helmet schools, but now the 4* and 3* players may opt to go to G5 schools to have a better chance to get to the playoffs.

Why wouldn't there be a title game? Big 12 doesn't have divisions and has a title game. That's the same model the B1G has supposedly talked about behind closed doors.

There could be, and maybe should be, but doesn’t have to be a conference championship game in an auto bid scenario.

of course, then you’re looking at tie breakers and maybe...back room votes amongst ADs as has happened in the distant Big Ten past. Some conferences nay wish to keep a title game others may not for various reasons.

There could be, and maybe should be, but doesn’t have to be a conference championship game in an auto bid scenario.

of course, then you’re looking at tie breakers and maybe...back room votes amongst ADs as has happened in the distant Big Ten past. Some conferences nay wish to keep a title game others may not for various reasons.

To your point, one has to go all the way back to 2002 to find a year where the wasn't either 1) a single team with the best conference record, or 2) two 1st place tied teams where one team held the head-to-head win. It's not very common for there not to be a clear winner, so it wouldn't be a big deal if the conference championship game was eliminated. In 2002 Ohio State and Iowa tied at 8-0, but Ohio State got the BCS bid.

I think the first round would have to be at the higher seed's home field and the existing bowl format would follow. I really don't see how you can expect fans to travel to up to 4 post season games (conference championships and 3 playoff games.)
I would like the higher seed to play in the nearest indoor or warm weather stadium for the first round. If B1G team host, the game should be in MN, Indy, or Detroit.

Also having Conference Champ auto bid will influence teams to have better non-conference games to be the at-large consideration. They should set a requirement that P5 has to have 9 conference games, 2 P5 games, and 1 G5 game. This would create more h2h scenarios and common opponents for ranking.

With the money that Conf Champ games bring in I can't imagine a conference wouldn't want to have one. Hell, the Big 12 begged to change the rules so they could have one with 10 teams and no divisions, even though with their round-robin format they sort of have the least need for one.

I'm fine with it as long as the first round games are played at the higher seeds. Then getting a high seed is still a big deal. And then getting the #1 seed possibly means an easier opponent (either a lower ranked team that upset someone in the conference championship or a group of 5 team). Play the first round a week after the conference championships. The four teams that lose in the first round can still go to a bowl game.

Discussion about an 8 team G5 playoff system at www.gsufans.com

TALON
-I can see your point Half, but we must progress and not regress. A top ratted P5 + a middle ranked P5 not only pays high revenue but we should be able to keep one close and beat the other or maybe both at top strength. I know that doesn't mean much as far as P5 teams as far as the playoffs are concerned , but a great bowl against a P5 team, beating them, getting national recognition while getting a very good payout to support our sports teams would be great even if we did not make the P5 playoffs.
I'm in favor of a G5 8 team playoff. If the top ranked G5 team can make a great bowl then they should be allowed to go just as the AAC teams will be allowed.[/B]
*******There are plenty of bowls for the other teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

TALON -Yes it would work ,in a G5 Playoff system with the top 5 conference winners getting an auto bid and the top 3 out side the conference winners getting a spot in the playoffs. Sure if GSU was not good enough to make the top 8 there would still be a bowl for us even against Liberty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111[/QUOTE]

[B said:
Blue Eagle;[/B]1001653]I loved the I-AA playoff, but I am against having a G5 playoff for the obvious reason FBS (if it isn't already) would be officially divided into two divisions.
With the four team playoff, I believe we should be focusing on being ranked in the top 25 instead of making the playoff. App State has proven a Sunbelt team can be ranked by beating two of the lower ranked P5 teams, an out of conference G5 team and by winning the conference championship even with a conference loss.
If and when, FBS goes to an 8 team playoff and guarantees G5 a spot in it then we should schedule at least one if not two of the highest ranked P5 teams we can.
TALON -I can understand your point about dividing FBS into to levels but IMO it is already that way. I believe that if a team or teams could make the top 20 asked to a GREAT bowl or be picked as one of the P5s 8 team playoff they should be allowed to play in the G5 playoffs or except what was better for their school EXAMPLE - Cotton Bowl #17 Memphis @ 12-1 vs #10 Penn State @ 10-2[/QUOTE said:
TALON - An FBS 12 team playoff is to much to ask for at this time that included the winners of the 5 G5 conferences with 2 open bids, but it is an interesting idea.

]I like the idea also. To insure that the teams have a full stadium in the first round , give the the top 4 teams a buy. Have teams the teams ranked 9-12 go to the 5-8 teams home field stadium using proximity as a match up tool.
[/QUOTE]

I say nix the power 5 conferences for a restructured power 4 conference (eliminate ACC roll them into others) Conference champ game becomes quarterfinals. Push G5 and independents into FCS and say good riddance. :)

I say nix the power 5 conferences for a restructured power 4 conference (eliminate ACC roll them into others) Conference champ game becomes quarterfinals. Push G5 and independents into FCS and say good riddance. :)
How about power 8 conferences?

There has never been a situation where it would have been even remotely appropriate for 8 teams to be in a college football playoff.

I used to think 6 made sense. But this year clearly proved that wrong. Even 4 was 1 too many this year. 8 is just stupid.

There has never been a situation where it would have been even remotely appropriate for 8 teams to be in a college football playoff.

I used to think 6 made sense. But this year clearly proved that wrong. Even 4 was 1 too many this year. 8 is just stupid.
Memphis, Boise State, App State are the only three schools that have a legitimate claim they were left out IMO. And they really don’t since they lost.

I have no problem with 4. I do have a problem with how they select the four. This year they have the right four but it would’ve been impossible for them not to

Or drop the bottom 40% of the P5 teams into new G5 conferences!:cool::cool:

Not gonna happen though.

Bowls are too important and too powerful. They have all the seats at the table now, and they will craft the system to keep themselves prominently part of the system.

I'm assuming it wouldn't affect the bowls much at all. The first round games are currently not being played anywhere. These would be played on campus (most likely this weekend), and the 8 would be 4. The 4 would be played in bowls like they currently are.

Top Bottom