Power 5 AD in New York this week said a specific 8-team playoff model is circulating around the CFB

I say nix the power 5 conferences for a restructured power 4 conference (eliminate ACC roll them into others) Conference champ game becomes quarterfinals. Push G5 and independents into FCS and say good riddance. :)
ESPN has thrown their money/weight behind the ACC, so that can't happen now. ESPN is invested in cable networks for the SEC and ACC.

The only P5 conf without a grant of TV rights is the Big XII, because Texas and Oklahoma make too much money for themselves with those. And that's the only situation that will let them keep doing that. They completely control the Big XII. So it's tough to see that dissolving and for either to bug out to another P5.

But it would definitely be the Big XII that doesn't make it, if we ever see a contraction of the P5 to a P4.

There has never been a situation where it would have been even remotely appropriate for 8 teams to be in a college football playoff.

I used to think 6 made sense. But this year clearly proved that wrong. Even 4 was 1 too many this year. 8 is just stupid.
Does it make sense for the NFC East to have a playoff team this year?

That's not how it works. It's about TV, ratings, maximizing fan interest. Not doing "what's right".

I'm assuming it wouldn't affect the bowls much at all. The first round games are currently not being played anywhere. These would be played on campus (most likely this weekend), and the 8 would be 4. The 4 would be played in bowls like they currently are.
Could work out that way, but then you'd have to potentially worry about finals. Teams need time to prepare for the games.

That's why I think it makes too much sense that the six games (4 quarters and 2 semis) would be played at the current NY6, with the Peach and Cotton being moved back a week from the NYD games.

We'll see what happens!

Could work out that way, but then you'd have to potentially worry about finals. Teams need time to prepare for the games.

That's why I think it makes too much sense that the six games (4 quarters and 2 semis) would be played at the current NY6, with the Peach and Cotton being moved back a week from the NYD games.

We'll see what happens!
If FBS teams can't figure out how to make it work around finals they could call Collegeville, Fargo, or Mankato and see how their teams manage to do it?

Memphis, Boise State, App State are the only three schools that have a legitimate claim they were left out IMO. And they really don’t since they lost.

The G5 schools could schedule 4 games against the P5. If they did, and they won those games, they would be seen nearly the same as a P5 by the CFP. It is very curious to me that more G5 schools do not schedule at least three or four in an effort to gain the respect they claim they are being denied.

UCF (2017) will probably forever be the G5 team that was most controversially left-out of the CFP. But they played only 1 P5 opponent (Maryland) until they played Auburn in the Peach Bowl. It is more accurate to say they were denied a shot at the CFP by Hurricane Irma than by the committee.

If FBS teams can't figure out how to make it work around finals they could call Collegeville, Fargo, or Mankato and see how their teams manage to do it?
Has nothing to do with that. P5 presidents have consistently used finals as an excuse not to further extend the season.

You correctly point out, both the DII and DIII championship are this weekend, as well as the FCS semi-finals. Obviously it can work.

Like I said, you might end up being right. I just think it makes more sense to play the six games at the six NY6 bowls that they already have in the system.

Or, like you propose, they could keep rotating the semi-final games among two bowls, as they do now, with the quarter games on campuses. That would lessen the burden of the home team fans travel. Maybe that makes the most sense after all, as it lets the bowls have their historical bowl matchup/TV contract on 4 of the 6 years, as they do now.

The G5 schools could schedule 4 games against the P5. If they did, and they won those games, they would be seen nearly the same as a P5 by the CFP. It is very curious to me that more G5 schools do not schedule at least three or four in an effort to gain the respect they claim they are being denied.

UCF (2017) will probably forever be the G5 team that was most controversially left-out of the CFP. But they played only 1 P5 opponent (Maryland) until they played Auburn in the Peach Bowl. It is more accurate to say they were denied a shot at the CFP by Hurricane Irma than by the committee.
It’s not an easy task to get the number of home games you need for your athletics dept revenue to fund other non football programs and schedule difficult out of conference at the same time.

you can’t get home and homes. Usually neutral site, buy games, and 2 for ones.
So yeah, if your athletic department can afford to have only 4-5 home games per year you might be able to find 4 power 5s who would play you. But even then you still have to find people who don’t want to play cupcakes

How about power 8 conferences?

How about leave the term "POWER" out of it and have a true 12 team FCS playoff system. All of you you knoe that the 2 open bids will go to what you call the P5s anyway.

Top Bottom