Postgame thread Michigan St

You guys are crazy, this isn't 8th-grade basketball, you can't run "computer blue" and hope the other team is thinking about daffodils.

In those situations there is a TON of coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if they end every practice with late game situational work. Pitino has repeatedly stated he has trust and thinks our strongest facet is our quickness with the ball and thinks our guards can breakdown most other teams defenders. He went with what he felt was the best situation, the team didn't look puzzled, didn't appear out of sorts, they just didn't execute plain and simple.

If Pitino call's a time out with those 10 seconds left on the Coffey iso, what do you think Izzo is doing in that huddle? Twiddling his thumbs? The variables EXPONENTIALLY grow in a late game situation if you give the other team 60 seconds to think about a defensive strategy. He liked the matchups, and let it ride.

Again, I don't fault the call because I have no clue just like none of you. I fault the execution and you can make a lot of assumptions on the cause of that, I don't align with poor coaching, there are too many things pointing the other way for that to make sense.

Good post. You don't want Izzo setting up for you, I liked it that he let them go. They knew that the refs had called 100 fouls and a drive to create a play was what we had and then you hope to either make or get the foul called as had happened on the other end. We had no inside game left on the court, so it had to be a perimeter play. I wouldn't have minded seeing Springs in the game late but he may have been out because of defensive issues- not sure. Springs does seems to have the ability to get a decent shot off from anywhere.

Just wish they had a really strong X's and O's guy on staff.

Question.

Do you remember the Syracuse game from Pitino's first year? Pitino knows X's and O's, very rarely do we have guys unable to get open looks.

Making the shot's has been another story.

This is statistically unproven.

Running set plays works in a lot of situations but a player just needs to make a play one way or another.

Statistics prove players make more uncontested shots than contested ones.

You guys are crazy, this isn't 8th-grade basketball, you can't run "computer blue" and hope the other team is thinking about daffodils.

In those situations there is a TON of coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if they end every practice with late game situational work. Pitino has repeatedly stated he has trust and thinks our strongest facet is our quickness with the ball and thinks our guards can breakdown most other teams defenders. He went with what he felt was the best situation, the team didn't look puzzled, didn't appear out of sorts, they just didn't execute plain and simple.

If Pitino call's a time out with those 10 seconds left on the Coffey iso, what do you think Izzo is doing in that huddle? Twiddling his thumbs? The variables EXPONENTIALLY grow in a late game situation if you give the other team 60 seconds to think about a defensive strategy. He liked the matchups, and let it ride.

Again, I don't fault the call because I have no clue just like none of you. I fault the execution and you can make a lot of assumptions on the cause of that, I don't align with poor coaching, there are too many things pointing the other way for that to make sense.

Spot on!!

you have to trust your best players to make plays!! Plain and simple, they can't make the play every time. I trust Mason(starting to trust Coffey) to be that go-to guy in a pinch...everytime.

Statistics prove players make more uncontested shots than contested ones.

Why in the world didn't Pitino think of this? No doubt, we would have gotten an uncontested shot had we run a set play. Picket fence?

Why in the world didn't Pitino think of this? No doubt, we would have gotten an uncontested shot had we run a set play. Picket fence?

I think you missed the point. Letting one player run an iso often leads to an off balance, contested shot which is statistically not a good shot. At least try to set a pick or something to get a better look would be better. Wasnt executed well at all. I am not necessarily against an iso and mason is a good one to trust in that position but it sure didnt turn out well.

I think you missed the point. Letting one player run an iso often leads to an off balance, contested shot which is statistically not a good shot. At least try to set a pick or something to get a better look would be better. Wasnt executed well at all. I am not necessarily against an iso and mason is a good one to trust in that position but it sure didnt turn out well.

so your point is it didn't work?

Top Bottom