Postgame Observations

Yes but Rutgers did reel off some big runs in the first half...got a little worried...lingering PTSD from the first several games from last year.
Ohio State just has so many weapons. There were a couple tough plays against Ohio State but I promised myself I wouldn't jump to conclusions after week 1. They have 3-5 players who would be starting in the NFL right now and another 3-5 who will be starting in the NFL in 5 years.

I'm more tolerant of Morgan missing on long bombs.... especially when they made some of them.

I think they gave themselves some space to operate with them.

OL look much better and pulled of a few stunts at critical times.
+1. Obviously you need to eventually hit on some of them, but just the ability to show that you can go downtown helps back some guys up….

It was like Glen Mason was back running the team, hoping to hang on. Just grinning, looking up at the scoreboard.
I'd be shocked if that play calling was 100% dictated by PJ. That's usually a HC's call (run out the clock or run the offense). I also think Potts was out, so if we didn't go wildcat, it would have been our normal offense with Irving.

All of that said, I would have not banked on hitting that FG and then playing defense. It's strange to me because PJ totally gets that you don't need a ton of TOs to move the ball at the end of the game (he is okay with us burning timeouts) but he seems overly preoccupied with getting his opponents to burn their TOs.

Rossi has been dialing up a few more well timed blitzes it seems like.
True. But we are also getting a ton of push with just our front 4 as well on a lot of plays. They are playing like the d-line that was hyped before the season but nowhere to be found in the first 2 games.

Fun facts:

Minnesota is the only team in the Big Ten to have a losing record at home and a winning record on the road.

Minnesota is one of 8 Power 5 teams to have won two road games. The others are:

Pittsburgh
Boston College
Baylor
Michigan State
Iowa
Stanford
USC

This was a good win for me. On the road. Bad weather. Dylan Wright out. Had to wrestle with demons of last week’s game. Most importantly, we were playing a good opponent who was favored to win. And we won by 7. It is never an ugly win when you beat a team, on the road, that was favored to beat you. Never. If you want to hate PJ, even when he wins over a favored team, that’s your choice. But this was a gutsy win not an ugly one. Sorry.

Last edited:

I'm thinking that Pat Reusse and Dan Barrierro are both pretty sure this win was beneath contempt.

Special teams were impressive. Nailing that late field goal was was a huge relief. Defense looking solid also by taking away the run for the most part. And that deep ball from Morgan is going to be a big part of our arsenal the rest of the year. Morgan does a nice job of dropping that ball in on the receivers.

How can we be satisfied only winning by 7 after losing to Bowling Green?
How about this formulation: we won by a score that was more than 50% higher than what the home team, Purdue, managed to score. Feel better now? Today’s field conditions = low scoring game. This was a good win, a gutsy win. Period.

Isn't winning the game the whole point? I dunno... I'm old, so maybe I've missed some new, very, vey special trend.
Right there with you....I am really disappointed to see a handful of fans going out of their way to be negative about a Big Ten road win.

We are not a team that needs to worry about style points or impressing people. Just win baby!

I'd be shocked if that play calling was 100% dictated by PJ. That's usually a HC's call (run out the clock or run the offense). I also think Potts was out, so if we didn't go wildcat, it would have been our normal offense with Irving.

All of that said, I would have not banked on hitting that FG and then playing defense. It's strange to me because PJ totally gets that you don't need a ton of TOs to move the ball at the end of the game (he is okay with us burning timeouts) but he seems overly preoccupied with getting his opponents to burn their TOs.
He got Purdue to burn their time outs. Well played IMHO.

• It was cold. And wet. That really sucked.
  • Morgan was never the main problem on O. He wasn't great last week, but he was still just a small part of the problem. A more balanced gameplan today, better protection, and Morgan again proved he's a very capable B1G QB.
  • Pass pro just miles better than last week. OL really stepped up.
  • D stepped up in the green and redzones. PU had a TON of yards, but the field position they were starting with coupled with the D making stops in critical situations minimized points. They had most of their weapons back today after having none last week, so it's hard to complain about a 2nd half shutout...but I know a few people are trying.
  • Goes without saying the STs were dynamite today. Crawford was a huge difference maker.

- The playcalling was a little better this game. The best call I thought was the first play of the second half when everyone thought it would be another run on first down, and they went deep. I think that was the first time they passed on first down the entire game.

- Kicking game gets an A + GREAT punting the entire game, all kicks were made and the kickoffs all went through the end zone. Great job!

- WE WERE RIGHT!!!! You know, everyone thinks us keyboard warriors don't know what we are talking about but I think everyone thought the playcalling needed to be better and we ran way too vanilla and predictable of an offense. We all said we needed to balance in more passing with the runs up the middle and we were all right. We were not able to run until we opened it up with some passing.

- Kudos to Fleck for not going for it on 4th down. The cheese was there and he didn't bite. There will be a time to go for it on 4th down but today was not it as you were battling for crucial field position and a miss in our own territory would have been disaster and possibly a loss.

- Walley is going to be a fun player watch develop. He struggled on some plays but you can tell the talent is there where he will eventually become an elite defensive back for us.

- Fleck said afterward this bye comes at a good time as several players are banged up. This next game vs. Nebraska is going to be a big game and we will need to get more players back, such as Sori-Martin and Wright.

-Autman-Bell needs to step it up. He had a nice TD catch but those two drops were huge. He needs to come up with those if he wants to become a next level WR.

- Morgan's talent is there. He had a good game today with a few drops. He was generally right on the money so I think most of his problems stem from the playcalling and schemes more than a miraculous drop in talent.

- This was a gritty, ugly Big Ten kind of game but I thought Fleck outcoached Brohm. I do not think Brohm is a very good coach and Fleck always seems to get this one. His squads are just tougher and play harder than Brohm's. This was a good win for us and as I said earlier, ANY Big Ten road win is a good win!!
I thought for a second that Ryan Santoso is playing QB for Purdue. Jack Plumber is 6' 5" Aidan O'connell at 6' 3" is not quite the height of Santoso. The resemblance thru the helmet was there for a second.

The break couldn't have come for another reason. Part of the dismal passing game may be because Morgan and the WRs needed time to get in sync and develop trust.

TM and the OL need to get into the Gophers RPO synchronicity and get those short laser crossing passes working. Mo is Mo. The Gophers need to adapt Potts' and Irving's style of running into their offense.

They need to learn how to play to the strengths of their RBs. Mo spoiled the Offense. Now, they have to work hard and earn every victory for the rest of the season.

I like that they are throwing long passes even though CAB was unable to grab them in the first half.

Is Dylan Wright hurt?

Last edited:

I'm happy with today's win. I know some of you would be only happy with blowout.

Still have concerns with offense, but I'm going to enjoy the win.

Life is to short to be all upset for winning.

I remember the 2007 win against Miami of Ohio. Blew a 16 point 4th quarter lead to send the game to overtime. Gophers missed a 25 yard field goal and got saved when Miami missed a 33 yarder. Gophers won the game but it wasn't pretty. That was an ugly game, but I was happy at least for a day. Good thing too, because it was the only happiness we were getting that season.

Now, this wasn't an ugly win. Second half shutout and the defense came up with two turnovers on the road in the rain.

- The playcalling was a little better this game. The best call I thought was the first play of the second half when everyone thought it would be another run on first down, and they went deep. I think that was the first time they passed on first down the entire game.

- Kicking game gets an A + GREAT punting the entire game, all kicks were made and the kickoffs all went through the end zone. Great job!

- WE WERE RIGHT!!!! You know, everyone thinks us keyboard warriors don't know what we are talking about but I think everyone thought the playcalling needed to be better and we ran way too vanilla and predictable of an offense. We all said we needed to balance in more passing with the runs up the middle and we were all right. We were not able to run until we opened it up with some passing.

- Kudos to Fleck for not going for it on 4th down. The cheese was there and he didn't bite. There will be a time to go for it on 4th down but today was not it as you were battling for crucial field position and a miss in our own territory would have been disaster and possibly a loss.

- Walley is going to be a fun player watch develop. He struggled on some plays but you can tell the talent is there where he will eventually become an elite defensive back for us.

- Fleck said afterward this bye comes at a good time as several players are banged up. This next game vs. Nebraska is going to be a big game and we will need to get more players back, such as Sori-Martin and Wright.

-Autman-Bell needs to step it up. He had a nice TD catch but those two drops were huge. He needs to come up with those if he wants to become a next level WR.

- Morgan's talent is there. He had a good game today with a few drops. He was generally right on the money so I think most of his problems stem from the playcalling and schemes more than a miraculous drop in talent.

- This was a gritty, ugly Big Ten kind of game but I thought Fleck outcoached Brohm. I do not think Brohm is a very good coach and Fleck always seems to get this one. His squads are just tougher and play harder than Brohm's. This was a good win for us and as I said earlier, ANY Big Ten road win is a good win!!
How did Fleck outcoach Brohm? I'm curious.

Last edited:

Bucko Irving and Mike Brown-Stephens are looking good!

Happy with the win.

O-Line is supposed to be a strength. They didn't get much push this week or last.

We don't have the weapons in the passing game we had a couple years ago.

Definitely progress from last week.

We could only go up and did.

We'll see how Nebbie does tonight... good time for a bye week for sure.

I thought for a second that Ryan Santoso is playing QB for Purdue. Jack Plumber is 6' 5" Aidan O'connell at 6' 3" is not quite the height of Santoso. The resemblance thru the helmet was there for a second.
I had the same thought. Must be brothers separated at birth. And also a few years apart…

Bailed out by two turnovers and statistically dominated, people get fired for wins like that.
As Bud Grant said “Statistics are for losers.”

You don’t get bailed out by turnovers, dink. You cause them.

As Bud Grant said “Statistics are for losers.”

You don’t get bailed out by turnovers, dink. You cause them.
I'll take a win like that every single time, but someone said Fleck outcoached Brohm. Purdue dominated much of the game. 28 first downs to 12. We won the turnover battle and won. No way was Brohm outcoached, though.

Top Bottom