POST GAME THREAD: Sound off!!! Gophers beat Syracuse!

Athan looked really good. Things look bright for the passing game if we get a few receivers and PJ decides to open up the offense. Hopefully we have a couple RBs we haven't seen yet, not sure if Potts is the heir apparent to Mo.

AK gets hurt and able to bring in Tanner, that is some very good depth.
Alright I am just going to say it because I can't believe nobody has picked up on the clear conspiracy taking place right under our noses. AK isn't hurt....he faked the injury so that Morgan could go in the game. :)

Sick of these football games in baseball stadiums, fields aren't made to handle football and it shows. As for the game itself, injuries were unfortunate but very cool to see Mo get the records, Tanner get to play, and some other departing guys like MSM and Howden have big games.

Add to that getting a good look at some future stars like Bryson and it makes for a good day capped off by a Gopher victory.

Probably wouldn’t expect the final score if you saw Syracuse with 477 yards to Gophers 217 and 8 more minutes of possession. Checked all the boxes though with win, Mo with records, Morgan getting a nice final effort, see new stars like Bryson.
I lost all interest in yards and time of possession during the Wacker years. Outgaining teams 450-290 yards and losing 35-21 got old.

He was great today. I have no idea what the depth chart looks like beyond Nubin but I don't pay a ton of attention to that type of stuff.
Darius Green will also play. Flip Dixon and Steven Ortiz transferred out. Wild Card is FCS unrated transfer Jack Henderson, who might be a hidden gem with a year of development.

Athan looked really good. Things look bright for the passing game if we get a few receivers and PJ decides to open up the offense. Hopefully we have a couple RBs we haven't seen yet, not sure if Potts is the heir apparent to Mo.

Potts is not good, I'd expect a lot of Evans and Taylor next year.

Syracuse writer.

Thanks for posting. Went back to the DVR and that part of the field was never shown for that play. Hard to believe not one camera caught it, but if one did the decision in the Control Booth was not to show it. To Syracuse's credit, their HC did not flinch and quietly changed his wardrobe before heading across the field. That says a lot.

The Gophers played a decent game enough to win given the field conditions. They relied heavily on the defense.

The offense would have had better numbers had they played Mo in the second half. It is impressive that they used only three DLs at the LOS for a good chunk of the game.

They ran into a Mitch Leidner-bodied QB who can scramble and pass. He was hard to tackle.

The most critical stat is the Win.

Great feels for Mo and Morgan to go out on top.
Pick six and kick return. I was entertained.
Morgan to Jackson in the corner was perfect.
Ultra boring turtle going into the half and through second half was boring as hell. I get it, milk the clock, eke out a win but they almost let Syracuse back in it. It worked out but there was some level of concern at times. Fleck likes gazing into the abyss.
The defense did just enough
Special teams was a plus rather than neutral or negative. Not a common thing.
I liked the Syracus RB. The QB was Leidner-like for better or worse. A competitor.
Athan looked pretty good.
Football games at baseball stadiums are pretty stupid. I don’t get it.
The band looked happy

Glad to admit I was wrong about Minnesota losing, but I am happy to be wrong when a Minnesota sports team wins!

Potts will be phased out. Evans (Freshman) and incoming Freshman Darious Taylor (out of Michigan with MI, ND, & UW) offers will be the backs seeing 40% of the action equally with a sprinkle of B. Williams on 3rd Down.

It’s an ok win, basically a guarantee win as we are much better team. A win does nothing for us but for Syracuse it would have been their superbowl win to cap their season.

Looking forward to 2023 and seeing what we can do.

Thanks for posting. Went back to the DVR and that part of the field was never shown for that play. Hard to believe not one camera caught it, but if one did the decision in the Control Booth was not to show it. To Syracuse's credit, their HC did not flinch and quietly changed his wardrobe before heading across the field. That says a lot.
I think some of this is how his guys on the field reacted, who all turned to the guy who did it and didn’t protest. They knew it was a stupid selfish flag

Potts will be phased out. Evans (Freshman) and incoming Freshman Darious Taylor (out of Michigan with MI, ND, & UW) offers will be the backs seeing 40% of the action equally with a sprinkle of B. Williams on 3rd Down.
Marquese Williams might have something to say about that. Not sure if he'll be there for spring ball... thought I read that Taylor will be?

The only thing I didn't like was the several sequences of having Lindenberg cover the slot WR. Those seemingly endless easy quick outs for 8 yards were maddening. Maybe it was genius though, as it was the same route as the pick 6.
That was maddening, wasn't it? Great job by Syracuse scheming that up, though. It wasn't just in the slot -- it was anywhere the RB was lined up, MN was pulling a LB out of the box to cover him. You see that in the NFL a lot and it inevitably leads to a deep shot to the RB. Yesterday, Syracuse was content to throw a 10 yard out to the RB and they completed all 3 of them.

That is just awesome. Props to Herbig for taking the time to post.

Babers also stared down his player quite a bit. I suspect he may have had a heart to heart with him in the locker room postgame.

as far as the LB's in pass coverage, I suspect some of that may have been due to the depth situation in the secondary. Once Smith left the game, the secondary was pretty young or at least inexperienced.

If I had to guess, I would say that Rossi liked the matchup better with Lindenberg as opposed to some of the guys who were filling in in the secondary.

that is where the loss of Flip Dixon really showed. Gophers need someone to fill that role as a hybrid LB/S/Slot CB type.

as far as the LB's in pass coverage, I suspect some of that may have been due to the depth situation in the secondary. Once Smith left the game, the secondary was pretty young or at least inexperienced.

If I had to guess, I would say that Rossi liked the matchup better with Lindenberg as opposed to some of the guys who were filling in in the secondary.

that is where the loss of Flip Dixon really showed. Gophers need someone to fill that role as a hybrid LB/S/Slot CB type.
With Nubin back next year I bet Bryson might be able to fill that role. After his showing in the bowl you have to believe they are going to find ways to get him on the field all the time next season. Kid is a player.

Potts is not good, I'd expect a lot of Evans and Taylor next year.
I felt like Pots did better when he did straight full speed runs.

Mo did better delaying and picking his hole / route.

Pots running Mo type plays didn’t seem to work.

If we have to depend on the running backs we saw in the bowl, we are in trouble. Unless, we get a couple big offensive linemen off the portal.

Top Bottom