POST GAME THREAD: Sound off!!! Gophers beat Syracuse!

Because of some personal/family circumstances that I don't need to get into, I might be the one person here who had to listen to the game on the national ESPN feed in the car heading to N. Wisconsin. (the KFAN feed on iHeart was cut midway thru the first so I had to search out the national feed.) They were quite clear on what happened to AK, and said immediately that Mo was pulled because of the team doctors - not because he opted out. They mentioned the field conditions a few times, but I'm sure they had to be careful not to offend.

It was kind of an interesting perspective of the game though obviously I wish I'd been able to watch the whole game. I did get to see the Sori-Marin scoop up through the end of the game.

With Nubin back next year I bet Bryson might be able to fill that role. After his showing in the bowl you have to believe they are going to find ways to get him on the field all the time next season. Kid is a player.
I think PJ went out and got FCS budding star Jack Henderson as a possible Dixon replacement. Big frame; hits hard; can cover (maybe?). If Henderson can grow into the role, and Bryson could stay at safety next to Nubin, playing “center field” ala Paul Krause, that would be a nice grouping. Henderson might not be ready though. And Bryson will be on the field a lot in 2023.

I think PJ went out and got FCS budding star Jack Henderson as a possible Dixon replacement. Big frame; hits hard; can cover (maybe?). If Henderson can grow into the role, and Bryson could stay at safety next to Nubin, playing “center field” ala Paul Krause, that would be a nice grouping. Henderson might not be ready though. And Bryson will be on the field a lot in 2023.
I think Green showed he’s ready to get a lot of play too. He seems like he could play that nickel spot as well.

Hear me out... Why should the yankees need to be in the position to rent a field vs just owning one and rolling out after the baseball season....full knowing they have an effing bowl game coming up.

Because of some personal/family circumstances that I don't need to get into, I might be the one person here who had to listen to the game on the national ESPN feed in the car heading to N. Wisconsin. (the KFAN feed on iHeart was cut midway thru the first so I had to search out the national feed.) They were quite clear on what happened to AK, and said immediately that Mo was pulled because of the team doctors - not because he opted out. They mentioned the field conditions a few times, but I'm sure they had to be careful not to offend.

It was kind of an interesting perspective of the game though obviously I wish I'd been able to watch the whole game. I did get to see the Sori-Marin scoop up through the end of the game.
Kiddo was at work and noted the same things heard on the "radio." Didn't think about it till now but he'd mentioned how it sounded "different" and liked it.

I never heard what the swag package the players went home with. Anyone know what they got?

It was a George Steinbrenner Pinstripe Tribute Bobblehead Doll.

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what the Syracuse fans’ post game thoughts on the game, and Minnesota, were. I hopped around to a few of the different threads and summarized a few comments below. Here is my totally biased findings in a nutshell…

- They played without a lot of their key players and still hung with Minnesota…had they had the full team they would have won.
- The refs blew the call and gave Mo that early TD when the ball clearly did not cross the goal line.
- The Big Ten sucks, especially Minnesota. Syracuse should have won.
- Minnesota only had 213 yards off offense...Syracuse totaled almost 500. Syracuse is better than Minnesota.
- They made Minnesota's top 10 defense look silly. Syracuse should have won.
- They outplayed Minnesota in the 2nd half...the pick six was lucky and they should have won.
- They deserved this win more than Minnesota.
- Minnesota does not have as much talent as Syracuse.
- They were “dominating” Minnesota from the last minute of the first half until the pick six. And then again after that until the Minnesota’s long return.
- The flag at the end of the game was BS…Syracuse stopped them and would have gotten the ball back and marched down the field and scored, and then eventually won.
- Minnesota is not impressive, Syracuse shot themselves in the foot and should have won.
- Mo Ibrahim is a %$#% for sitting out after he broke those records.
- Surprisingly, not as many comments about the crappy field as I would have thought.

Last edited:

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what the Syracuse fans’ post game thoughts on the game, and Minnesota, were. I hopped around to a few of the different threads and summarized a few comments below. Here is my totally biased findings in a nutshell…

- They played without a lot of their key players and still hung with Minnesota…had they had the full team they would have won.
- The refs blew the call and gave Mo that early TD when the ball clearly did not cross the goal line.
- Minnesota only had 213 yards off offense...Syracuse totaled almost 500. Syracuse is better than Minnesota.
- They outplayed Minnesota in the 2nd half...the pick six was lucky and they should have won.
- There were “dominating” Minnesota from the last minute of the first half until the pick six. And then again after that until the Minnesota’s long return.
- The flag at the end of the game was BS…Syracuse stopped them and would have gotten the ball back and marched down the field and scored, and then eventually won.
- Minnesota is not impressive, Syracuse shot themselves in the foot and should have won.
- Surprisingly, not as many comments about the crappy field as I would have thought.
At no point during that game I thought the Gophers were in trouble and we might lose. It was an ugly game, but I think PJ Fleck made the call to just get out of there with a win and go into his version of Bobby Knight's "four corner stall defense."

- There were “dominating” Minnesota from the last minute of the first half until the pick six. And then again after that until the Minnesota’s long return.

The flag at the end didn't matter. Minnesota would have drained the clock to 12 seconds before punting. The punt would have drained more time. Unless a punt was blocked for a TD, the game was done.

Minnesota had several players out too. Key players. Plus several injuries. That argument doesn't fly either.

Everything else is just bitching just like we do here on Gopherhole.

The flag at the end didn't matter. Minnesota would have drained the clock to 12 seconds before punting. The punt would have drained more time. Unless a punt was blocked for a TD, the game was done.

Minnesota had several players out too. Key players. Plus several injuries. That argument doesn't fly either.

Everything else is just bitching just like we do here on Gopherhole.
Ya, it would be a friendly gesture to leave a comment and set them straight...but not willing to sign up to a Syracuse football forum.
And yes, it is very, very much like GopherHole over there.

At no point during that game I thought the Gophers were in trouble and we might lose. It was an ugly game, but I think PJ Fleck made the call to just get out of there with a win and go into his version of Bobby Knight's "four corner stall defense."

off-topic, but the '4-corner offense' in basketball was popularized by coach Dean Smith at North Carolina, and led by PG Phil Ford. when I was going to Augsburg in the 70's, the Auggies used it now and then when they got in foul trouble and were trying to shorten the game.

Ya, it would be a friendly gesture to leave a comment and set them straight...but not willing to sign up to a Syracuse football forum.
And yes, it is very, very much like GopherHole over there.

IAL when some people say Gopherhole is a cesspool, fans are negative. I mean, check out other forums some time just for the “fun” of it. People are people (except for New Yorkers). This place seems pretty reasonable to me.

off-topic, but the '4-corner offense' in basketball was popularized by coach Dean Smith at North Carolina, and led by PG Phil Ford. when I was going to Augsburg in the 70's, the Auggies used it now and then when they got in foul trouble and were trying to shorten the game.
you are correct!!!! But I seem to remember Mr. Knight using that as well if he got the lead. Basketball was VERY boring back then!! Watching 10 minutes of passing the ball back and forth wasn't too fun to watch!!!!!

Top Bottom