[POST GAME THREAD] Iowa defeats Minnesota 14-7

So you're saying he's gone at 8-4 including a win at Nebraska or at Wisconsin? Not sure I agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will never happen....6-6 at best and i don't think another toilet bowl victory saves him considering the lousy recruiting.

If they go 1-1 against Wisc. & Neb. and win the rest of their other games, Claeys will be around next year. Short of that, it's questionable. With the way this team was hyped, 1 more regular season loss is all I think Tracy can afford.

You're new to this, aren't you?

My god, Brewster had as many top 25 wins in 3 and a half years as this staff has had in over 5 years. Brewster went to two minor bowl games in his 3 1/2 years which is just what this program has basically done for 20 years. The Gophers were irrelevant under Jerry Kill just like they were irrelevant under Glen Mason and Tim Brewster...why "worry"? The Gophers are not in a position to look down on Illinois or anyone else and haven't been for years. Kirk Ferentz has been an amazing coach for Iowa...nobody the Gophers have hired in 40 or 50 years comes close to what he's done and his situation is very different from the situation Minnesota is in. We aren't talking about getting rid of a coach who went to the F'ing Rose Bowl last season and has had multiple top 10 seasons. When you are irrelevant, you don't worry about being more irrelevant you take steps to try to become relevant.

The point of my post was missed.

U-g-l-y from the offense which was unexpected to say the least. Need to circle the wagons in Maryland next week or we're looking at a really awful season.

How can a lack of offense be unexpected?
The QB is one of the least accurate throwers for 3-4 years straight. (just watch where his passes go). Plus we barely be Oregon State. What did you expect? 66 points?

Fire Jay Johnson. Sad to say...I believe we would have won with Limegrover today.

How can a lack of offense be unexpected?
The QB is one of the least accurate throwers for 3-4 years straight. (just watch where his passes go). Plus we barely be Oregon State. What did you expect? 66 points?

Not at all true.

Fire Jay Johnson. Sad to say...I believe we would have won with Limegrover today.

The guy lost his dad this week. We don't even know what his involvement was over the week.

The guy lost his dad this week. We don't even know what his involvement was over the week.

Fire someone. We are a running team that only gained something like 103 yards against a terrible run defense.

The point of my post was missed.

I'm not trying to be rude, but what was your point?

There is a chance that a new coach could be considerably worse than the current staff? Yeah, we know.

That we have a higher chance of that than most programs because we aren't a destination? Yeah, we know.

These two truths really don't matter. It's our unfortunate situation. If you find Claeys to be unacceptable as a head coach, you need to move on regardless of the very real risks you mention.

The pre-snap penalty situation is truly effing insane!

The last one killed us.

Holy bleeping bleep! It's insane!

Fire someone. We are a running team that only gained something like 103 yards against a terrible run defense.

Especially considering our two RBs were averaging 4.7 ypc and we had a lead in the fourth quarter.

It is completely unacceptable.

We would've won with Rob Reeves coaching the offense...it didn't take much, pound the rock. Dont blame bad o-line
play when it was never bad enough to justify forcing bad throws over feeding the rock to our best offensive weapons.

As the game wore on that dang effective stretch Iowa running play started to piss me off. The Gopher defense was stuffing the run early.
Pity that the Gophers couldn't pound the ball and get first downs after that highlight reel interception by Kamal Martin.
Was Iowa's secondary or defense doing anything differently? Like others have said the wide receivers got very little separation.

You're new to this, aren't you?
No, been around for a long time, probably a lot longer than you. I am extremely frustrated seeing a team that appears to have talent self destruct and make so many mental mistakes. When you see so many pre-snap penalties and missed assignments/reads it really makes you question what is going on. Every game they look unprepared and we find ourselves hoping they can wake up in time to win. Saying if we go 8-4 and he is possibly gone was a function of post game blues. 7-5 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's gone.

I don't think IA is as bad as people think, but we really should have won that game. It'd be interesting to see how we look with a QB who is a good thrower.

Also, just waiting for the Les Miles talk.

My uneducated quick hitters after fast forwarding through the game:

-Overall the defense played well but missed tackles are a problem. Huff giving up that long run was a killer. Hardin made a difference.
-Beathard repeatedly throwing bubble screens with DBs 10 yards off the ball is really tough to figure out. We gave up easy, easy yards, lost first down several times w/o contesting and it helped to wear down the defense as the game wore on.
-Absolute crime to keep Brooks off the field. As I alluded to in the other thread some odd dynamics on the team with shaming the best players. Thin-skinned coaches? WTH is going on there.
-Second week in a row the officials missed *flagrant* holding. How? It's just not believable, ergo malfeasance. **** these officials. Same story last year vs the squawks.
-Santoso had a really, really bad game. Low kicks, shanked kicks, short kicks. Just awful. Is he hurt? Time to give up the big league dreams if you keep that garbage up.
- Do we have a screen pass in the play book? The one attempt I saw was very poorly executed.
- Rallis brings a lot of fire to the defense. Despite some missed tackles he is a difference maker.
- A walk-on might be our most talented receiver. Brian Smith continues to impress. He and Still had clutch catches.
-The offensive line was the biggest problem IMO. We know Mitch plays poorly under pressure and we couldn't protect him. He was hearing footsteps all day. He'll bounce back but just an awful performance.

Good
>DB's were much improved. Iowa's lackluster WR's undoubtedly played a role, but coverage was much tighter. Hardin helped...and likely Winfield, although I can't say I noticed him much. Did Ayinde see the field today? I didn't see him, if he did...
>Defense was the good ol' bend, don't break we're used to seeing under Claeys. Just one big play of note, with a couple other medium plays surrendered. Stiffened in the red zone multiple times.
>Forced 3 turnovers.
>I thought the pass rush was more than adequate today. Only got 1 sack, I believe...but Beathard was hit or hurried several times.
>Brooks looked fantastic -- when he actually got the ball. He's a special player.

Bad
>For the most part, the pass protection was poor. Pocket broke down multiple times.
>Offensive play calling was baffling. I think Johnson is overthinking things, trying to stay balanced and honest by formation and down/distance. Way too many throws on first down. Brooks obviously didn't touch the ball enough. Unless he's still injured (doesn't look like it), he needs 20+ touches a game. Anything less is a travesty.
>WR's. This is a sorry, sorry group. Almost zero separation. Even Leidner's rare completions were forced into tight windows. Multiple drops on short, easy balls. It was a pathetic display.

Ugly
>This was one of Mitch's worst games. Again, I don't think it all falls on him, but a lot does. OL was pitiful, WR's are so unathletic. But Mitch was way off-target today and made a lot of poor decisions, both in the run game (bad reads on zone) and pass game. He looked generally rattled until the last drive. He was locking in on receivers and forcing the ball. He hasn't looked this bad since NW last year, IMO...
>It's a combination of all the bad above, but less than 100 yards of offense at half? Are you freaking KIDDING ME?! Iowa surrendered what, 38 points to NW last week? Come on, man. Pathetic.
>PENALTIES!!! A freaking high school team knows how to line up and go on the proper snap count. I've never seen such an undisciplined Gophers team, even when they were really bad. You can't be jumping offsides at home. It's just sad.

Wins are not easy to come by in college football. This team has blown two golden opportunities these two weeks. Both games were there for the taking. Both were against teams that appear to be very mediocre. No one person is to blame...it's a little of this, and a little of that. Claeys, Sawvel, Johnson, Leidner, Ayinde, the OL. Sucks. Bottom line, I'm very bummed.

Yeah, the continued penalties and sloppy play are probably the most disappointing thing. The discipline we were accustomed to under Kill seems to be completely flushed.

The decline in play will be secondary to how sloppy the team looks when it comes time to decide on whether to pull the trigger. Im afraid Claeys is letting this thing fly out of control. He needs to shake things up. Discipline is....not keeping your best player off the field. Have you're seen Brooks twitter handle? Openly trolling the coaches?

I just can't believe an offense can look and play that bad. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Like they had no clue what they wanted to do. Like they had practiced for only 2 days instead of 2 months. The going in motion before being set, I learned that in pee wee football, yet the Gophers did it multiple times!!!! You rarely see that penalty, much less multiple times by the same team in the same game! It truly looked like a bat league offense. Shocking.

I feel bad for Claeys. Granted he's the HC and he's responsible, but that team time and again was given a chance to win it and the players just didn't do it...

It's like 1983 all over again...

I just can't believe an offense can look and play that bad. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Like they had no clue what they wanted to do. Like they had practiced for only 2 days instead of 2 months. The going in motion before being set, I learned that in pee wee football, yet the Gophers did it multiple times!!!! You rarely see that penalty, much less multiple times by the same team in the same game! It truly looked like a bat league offense. Shocking.

I feel bad for Claeys. Granted he's the HC and he's responsible, but that team time and again was given a chance to win it and the players just didn't do it...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Huh?

Yeah, the continued penalties and sloppy play are probably the most disappointing thing. The discipline we were accustomed to under Kill seems to be completely flushed.

The decline in play will be secondary to how sloppy the team looks when it comes time to decide on whether to pull the trigger. Im afraid Claeys is letting this thing fly out of control. He needs to shake things up. Discipline is....not keeping your best player off the field. Have you're seen Brooks twitter handle? Openly trolling the coaches?

https://twitter.com/thekid2335 I don't see anything here?

a link would be nice to what you are talking about?

I don't feel bad for coaches in 2016 who punt on 4th and short, in back to back weeks, inside the opponent 45. Those punts went for touchbacks.

Let's face it Gopher Fans - the administration accepts mediocrity, Claeys' team reflects his attitude, the team plays with no emotion, there is a complete lack of discipline (that is coaching), the staff is always out coached, and the fans, well, for years it has been acceptance and complacency. When will the level of expectation to be ok with winning?

I don't feel bad for coaches in 2016 who punt on 4th and short, in back to back weeks, inside the opponent 45. Those punts went for touchbacks.

I feel bad for Claeys. Granted he's the HC and he's responsible, but that team time and again was given a chance to win it and the players just didn't do it... including bad punts.

https://twitter.com/thekid2335 I don't see anything here?

a link would be nice to what you are talking about?

I am joking but his handle is I AM SECOND. Now most likely it's some sort of religious thing or something totally unrelated but one could reasonably construe it as frustration at losing his starting spot despite outplaying the other guy. Just spitballing and for the record I have no idea what he's referring to.

I am joking but his handle is I AM SECOND. Now most likely it's some sort of religious thing or something totally unrelated but one could reasonably construe it as frustration at losing his starting spot despite outplaying the other guy. Just spitballing and for the record I have no idea what he's referring to.

I think that has been his handle for awhile.

Top Bottom