Post Game Thread: Gophers With AMAZING Comeback Win!!!

Gold Out looked awesome on TV...Athan was very impressive...Jackson's catch?! Come on!...So strange to see the Gophs with a non-existent running game. Jumped out of my chair when the ball sailed through...not a bad evening, not bad at all.

Did we run any screen passes at all? Defense looked strong. I know Nubin was great but so was Walley.

It's a win, but damn, that was some brutal football for most of the game.

Cal Stoll used to always say that by the third week, you had your offensive line, so I'm not worried about that. They should be solid in time. The defense played a great game. Remember, everything NU showed us was new, so we were gonna give up some plays. AK had a rough go of it, and while not rattled, he did struggle against a new defense. The NU defense is likely pretty decent. This was one of those games that you end up getting a whole lot more benefit from than what first meets the eye.

Did we run any screen passes at all?
We're going to need to... and I remember all the talk about how Tyler has good hands out of the backfield. If the Gophers can't grind with him between the tackles, they need to swing him out to get the ball to him in space. That's where his bread and butter, so to speak, will be.

It's a win, but damn, that was some brutal football for most of the game.

Yes, but the team played hard and gutty, gritty football all the way and kept believing in themselves and in each other.

This was not a pretty win, but it is a huge, gigantic team win. They struggled mightily, but they found a way.

On the replay of the second Nubin interception, it looked like he muscled it away from the receiver. He wanted it and wasn’t going to be denied. didn’t he do something similar in a Nebbie game a few years ago to seal a win?

Great comeback win, but Gophers had only 55 yards rushing, a 2.2 average. That won't work with the schedule they have. Too bad the two super frosh runners jumped ship a few years ago - they would have made the difference tonight. Fleck has to recruit the talent he needs to win and should not be without one or two B10 level rushers. It may be a long season, with Athan passing 40 times a game.

Great comeback win, but Gophers had only 55 yards rushing, a 2.2 average. That won't work with the schedule they have. Too bad the two super frosh runners jumped ship a few years ago - they would have made the difference tonight. Fleck has to recruit the talent he needs to win and should not be without one or two B10 level rushers. It may be a long season, with Athan passing 40 times a game.
Thanks for the analysis Sunshine.

It’s the first game of the season for crying out loud. Enjoy the win.

On the replay of the second Nubin interception, it looked like he muscled it away from the receiver. He wanted it and wasn’t going to be denied. didn’t he do something similar in a Nebbie game a few years ago to seal a win?

I think Nubin had a pick last year to seal the win, but the play you may be thinking of from a win at Nebraska in 2014 may be the Boddy-Calhoun strip to end the game?

Athon deserves some serious kudos. He has moxy! Kid is gritty, scrambles in the pocket well, and his receivers dropped some easy catches. I believe in this kid and this reminds me of the SDSU game back in 2019.

Agreed. Tough to be a good QB against a solid D in a running offense that can't run the ball.

That's a bad Nebraska team but we played pretty bad and won the game.

I'll save other threads for my gripes about coaching and officiating, for this one, I'll just say. . . college football is awesome and Nubin drinks for free in Dinkytown.
I really don't think that Nebby team is bad. they'll do all right this year

PJ rightfully gets some flak for his in-game decisions, but Joel Klatt said it- after the sack and false start, he managed that perfectly.
Real happy to see he had that timeout still in his pocket. I think he’s learning.

Real happy to see he had that timeout still in his pocket. I think he’s learning.
It worked out, but I actually didn't care for the second timeout. It was 4th down and you are going. If we don't make it, there are still over two minutes left with two timeouts. I would have done it that way.

It obviously worked though to get us set.

Thanks for the analysis Sunshine.

It’s the first game of the season for crying out loud. Enjoy the win.
Some people aren’t happy unless they find something to be unhappy about.

Bitching about things is how to demonstrate football knowledge, so I’m impressed by GPG.

Cal Stoll used to always say that by the third week, you had your offensive line, so I'm not worried about that. They should be solid in time. The defense played a great game. Remember, everything NU showed us was new, so we were gonna give up some plays. AK had a rough go of it, and while not rattled, he did struggle against a new defense. The NU defense is likely pretty decent. This was one of those games that you end up getting a whole lot more benefit from than what first meets the eye.
Because what Cal Stoll said is honestly relevant in 2023?

Top Bottom