Post Game Thread: Gophers Lose to North Carolina

If Dragan makes the last kick, I’d be telling myself the real Brosmer is the one we saw on the last drive, and that the team would get right during the next two weeks.

But the truth is that our teams under Fleck have been painfully boring to watch since 2019. It’s just not fun football. Sure we’ll run some teams to death (and our RB in the process), but we haven’t had a 40-yard pass play in over a year? I wonder if we’ve had a 40-yard rush during that span. It’s like our offense is purposefully built to avoid big plays.

I know we could be (and have been) much worse, but I can’t remember the last time I had fun watching the gophers win a game. Maybe @ MSU in 2022?
Last year was miserable football. There was nothing fun about it. I think I watched less Gopher football than I have since 2010. That Iowa game in particular, while a win, was emblematic of the entertainment value. Really hoping for something different.

If Dragan makes the last kick, I’d be telling myself the real Brosmer is the one we saw on the last drive, and that the team would get right during the next two weeks.

But the truth is that our teams under Fleck have been painfully boring to watch since 2019. It’s just not fun football. Sure we’ll run some teams to death (and our RB in the process), but we haven’t had a 40-yard pass play in over a year? I wonder if we’ve had a 40-yard rush during that span. It’s like our offense is purposefully built to avoid big plays.

I know we could be (and have been) much worse, but I can’t remember the last time I had fun watching the gophers win a game. Maybe @ MSU in 2022?

What a sad stat. Can't get the big plays if you never take a shot.

This conference is so big that a nonconference game isn’t any different than a conference game. Might as well schedule nothing but Liitle Sisters of the Poor for non-conference. I realize they didn’t know this when they scheduled this game but scheduling any division 1 opponents in the future at this point is idiotic.

Has anyone said this yet? Fuck Dragan Kesich.
It's the offense's fault that the game came down to him at all. There were several "fuck so and so" moments, all of which would have resulted in Kesich having no impact on the result had they not gone the way they did. The offense fucked this game with shit playcalling and poor execution in the 3rd and half of the 4th quarter. I'm fully in the "fuck Harbaugh" camp now. When the defense stuffs 9-10 guys in the box over and over and you still run or call pass plays that take five seconds to develop when there's a mad rush, that's a key sign you're in over your head. Fucking adjust. It's funny how the offense suddenly worked when they took the leash off Brosmer at the end.

Incredibly disappointed in what I saw on the field tonight. The Gophers were pretty awful in all phases when you consider the back breaking penalties by the defense and the inability to stop a very limited backup QB late (the offense and special teams were obviously worse than the defense).

The thing I am most disappointed by is the Gophers had 4 2nd or 3rd and goal plays from between the 9 and 12 yard line. Exactly ZERO of these plays involved a pass in to the end zone. THREE (!) of them were running plays. This is absolute inexcusable and it falls completely on Fleck.

The punter may as well start getting warmed up if we have an incomplete pass on first down. PJ insists on running on 2nd and long, and then we've got no chance to complete the inevitable 3rd and long. PJ literally has not "changed his best" since 2019.

It's the offense's fault that the game came down to him at all. There were several "fuck so and so" moments, all of which would have resulted in Kesich having no impact on the result had they not gone the way they did. The offense fucked this game with shit playcalling and poor execution in the 3rd and half of the 4th quarter. I'm fully in the "fuck Harbaugh" camp now. When the defense stuffs 9-10 guys in the box over and over and you still run or call pass plays that take five seconds to develop when there's a mad rush, that's a key sign you're in over your head. Fucking adjust. It's funny how the offense suddenly worked when they took the leash off Brosmer at the end.
yep. there were 8-9 in the box all night and we were decently ok running it, but brosmer showed he can hit the hitch routes. He looked awful off PA which anyone with any coaching acumen could predict given they're still in their run fits and going to be directly in his face when he finishes the fake because they're in overload. Brosmer looks great in a 3 step drop/west coast game. he looks terrible in an rpo heavy/pa heavy game that's not the boot. and every qb looks horrible when it's 3rd and long exclusive.

I still see a sliver of a chance we get to 4-3 before the bye. But I'll need to see a hell of a lot more improvement the next 2 weeks. 4-3 could very easily be 2-5.

Their field goal kicker was better than our field goal kicker - which wasn't supposed to happen. It is often said that the biggest improvement is from the first to the second game - hope that happens because losing tonight means winning 6 of the remaining 11 to make a bowl, which won't be easy. Our best in the B18 running back missed most of last season because of injury and couldn't start tonight because of injury! How does that happen? Brosmer, the running game and the huge offensive line should gel in the next couple of games, but we have to win two non-cons, upset either Iowa or Wisconsin, and beat IL and MD, plus what seems impossible now - win one more game. Gophers looked good at times on both offense and defense and should have won tonight in the rain.

Not a good football team, boring offense, the defense is a lot more fun to watch. I like Brosmer. He was slingin it on the last drive. Do not like the HC or the OC. I’ll still watch every game - I’ve stopped buying tix cuz I get pissed blowing $400 a game.

Wisconsin-Whitewater, University of Sioux Falls, and Dordt University looks like a perfect non-con schedule.
Can't lose to 2 shitsconsin teams in the same year. It's written in the bylaws somewhere.

Not a good football team, boring offense, the defense is a lot more fun to watch. I like Brosmer. He was slingin it on the last drive. Do not like the HC or the OC. I’ll still watch every game - I’ve stopped buying tix cuz I get pissed blowing $400 a game.
PJ just can't put together a passing game - he desperately needs and has needed a really top notch OC, who can bring some imagination to play-calling and can make the best use of Brosmer. Stubbornness and resistance to change are not the hallmarks of a winner.

I guess I wasn’t expecting much. Bad teams don’t transform into great good teams overnight. PJ is the tightest, most anxious game day coach I’ve ever seen. Contagious. Just let go, Philip John.

Could have gone either way. Too many mistakes. But, there were some good things and flashes of ability out there. I was pleasantly surprised by a few. If Dragan hits it we feel totally different even though in reality, same team. MN is going to need to play with luck on its side every week. Close games are a feature not a bug.

PJ just can't put together a passing game - he desperately needs and has needed a really top notch OC, who can bring some imagination to play-calling and can make the best use of Brosmer. Stubbornness and resistance to change are not the hallmarks of a winner.
The bunch formations are infuriating

If the Gophs have reached a point under PJ at which explosive offensive plays no longer happen, then our defense has to become more opportunistic (get more turnovers) and our special teams must become a weapon not an anchor. The Iowa formula. I love the Gophers, but it is so hard to watch such boring predictable uninspired play-calling year after year.

Can't lose to 2 shitsconsin teams in the same year. It's written in the bylaws somewhere.
Check your geography; we’ve got South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Iowa represented here. 3-0 going into Big18 season!

When was the last time the Gophers had a pass play go for 40+ yards. Brockington against WI in 2022?

Spot on

We don't want plays of over 40 yards. When those happen, we score too fast and lose our ability to control the clock.

Harbaugh won’t make it to next year. If PJ doesn’t find a good OC with this next hire he should be canned. Why pay him what he’s getting paid for this? Why put up with his shtick? He lost it in 2020 and is a mediocre coach. No way I’d hire him at a better football school than MN. There are a lot of coaches in the Midwest who can coach offense way better than the MN coaches. If I were Fleck I’d probably offer Ciarrocca $2M to come back.

I'm not worried:
  • Max demonstrated that he can be a competent QB
  • Fleck is clearly coaching for his job (his embrace of transfer portal and strategic use of timeouts in this game for the first time in his career demonstrate this)
  • Taylor will help fix the run game
  • Playing with a new center is always tricky
I am concerned longer-term:
  • Offensive coordinator is bad again (but I also thought this about early Rossi and was proven very wrong so who knows)

Our O-line is too top heavy and did not play with good enough leverage on the edges tonight. Not easy when you are always facing an 8-9 man fronts like a sledgehammer and like North Carolina they always brought a blitzing corner or safety off the edge free. We gotta start catching teams doing this edge blitzes and start making them pay with middle screens or quick slant in's or dump offs just to the zone the blitzer vacated. The rain kept peeing on us all night, then the two bad kicks and an unfortunate fumble pee'd away the game. Tough because Kesich is usually reliable kicker, Fine line between winning and losing and we managed that edge, by a few mistakes, then kick wide right from the right hashmark. I like North Carolina's offensive play calls better even with a back-up QB in second half especially the deek play on naked boot where we were short a defender. Brosmer played OK, considering conditions, effort was good by the team, just didn't make enough plays to win. To many mistakes and the usual milase after halftime kick off set in. I never understand why year after year after kick off in the second half that the team always comes out so flat out of the tunnel at home.
Dissapointed #0 Brockington didn't see more passes, that kid can get seperation and is one of the few that can run a deep cross.

Last edited:

Just a bit of turbulence in the water...

No reason to stop ROWING

Well I've tried to take a step back for a second, rewatched some of the game and man... this is really a tough one to swallow. UNC with numerous bounces/calls at just the right moments (Gousby holding call on the Johnson fumble, them getting the Brosmer fumble and recovering their own fumble late in the game, the Int drop that would've been a pick 6 for the Gophers, the Dragan doink, a missed ineligible downfield on their late long TD pass). That being said...

Regarding the team...

On offense, they have some pieces that are nice. Major is a good complementary back, the OL should be ok, Brosmer seems like a reasonable balance guy to a good rushing attack, and Jackson and Taylor when he's back are studs. But so many unforced errors from ineligible downfields, to takedowns turned holdings (cooper just let him go; the 10 yards are a crippler in that situation), to dropped passes that are TDs (thank goodness for that elijah spencer sighting or i would've wondered if he was playing), this team does not play with enough pace/explosiveness to have ANY margin on this side of the ball. one of 3 plays on each series of 3 to get a first down is going to be a RUTM (if not 2). If you negative a play, you cannot make up for it when this happens (Brosmer, to his credit, did this a couple times tonight, once with some big help from Jackson and once from Nubin). That style is a bygone era. But the players are playing within the system they are fed and cannot change that. I have a hard time faulting them as they're college players and going to make mistakes.

On defense, the aggression is fun and I think actually fits this team that has a decent set of corners and some good pass rushers. It will lead to tough big plays (Walley in no mans land, penalty on Gousby, etc.) but also leads to opportunity on early passes and QB pressures. Gotta come up with them better when they're there as we were only 1/3 on opportunities tonight (Walley pick, missed one by I think Bryan, and missed fumble). Big plays/TOs is the new era given all the offensive advantages. Have to sew what you reap however.

On ST, this whole unit was awful. Idk what the message was but the PRs were bad, the punts were floppy, and Kesich had the worst game of his career and may have played himself out of an NFL contract as they're that finicky.

Coaching. It's hard to really say it with any detail, but it feels we have no real identity that players buy into. PJ is a "we are sound, fundamental, don't beat ourselves, and win close games" kind of coach. However, if you're going to do that, you also need a coach who understands what metrics and analytics show as well as understands game flow. PJ seems to get it somewhat well when winning by double figures, but has an abysmal understanding of game theory overall. And given he seems to add next to nothing from an X's and O's standpoint based on how he interviews, that's a problem.

Now it's a problem you can account for by hiring great assistants who then get to run their stuff and for whatever reason, he seems to let the defense do that at least for the most part. Instead he chooses to leverage and hamstring the offense season after season by inserting himself, none of which was more apparent than when in his post interview he reiterated that running on 3rd and long in a goal to go situation is a good play call. It's really hard for me to say much about Harbaugh (or Sanford for that matter, or even Ciarrocca) knowing how much he is apparently mettling. And instead of him showing he knows his shit and showing he can ascend, his one season at WMU of 13-1 (others combined 17-23) and MN of 11-2 (others combined 39-33) are raising more questions than answers.

I've thought PJ was going to be it for a long time and was going to bring us to a different era, have loved what's he's stood for, and enjoyed how he's always sought to represent the U well. Unfortunately he just seems to be unable to understand when to let go of control and let risk exist when it's intelligent to do so like the top coaches do. I think this season is going to be the beginning of the end for him. Coyle won't have the money and stones to do it this year, but next year's team looks rough on paper (this team unloads a lot of older leadership and I'd expect the portal comes calling if this is the style we're going to play). Hard to know what to really do/where to turn as a gopher fan at this point. Looks like a long year ahead of us.

Surprised not to see any ribbing on the QB's fumble. The ball is the program don't cha know...

His stats at New Hampshire make it clear he is not a running QB but there he was trying to make something out of crap and then loses the ball. And to boot the OC and HC had said screw it we're going to pass the damn ball.

A little late but it showed those plays are in the playbook if it's unlocked from RUTM. Patience is the watchword for the week.

Top Bottom