Post Game Thread: Gophers Lose Floyd After Embarrassing 2nd Half

Same as post week 1. Time to move on is here. Coyle will have no stones to do it. PJ will have another year. We’ve been treading water at best but clearly regressing. It’s time to move on unless we’ve decided 4-8 to 7-5 is ok, which is absolute bullshit

• Kerry Brown is the only person in the back 7 that knows how to tackle and play the run. We are still lacking talent and speed at LB and DB, it's just night and day comparing to our rivals. Look at Iowa's two middle LB's. Game changers.
  • Brosmer seems like a great kid but the lights are too bright. For a guy that was lauded for his maturity and intelligence, some absolutely baffling decisions tonight and missing some huge throws.
  • Hot take, but I actually really liked Harbaugh's game plan tonight, we just missed a lot of throws or forced bad ones. Also, Max has feet of cement.
  • O-line's push in the run game is just laughable at this point.
  • Inferior coaching and lack of talent in key spots hurts.
  • I'll cry myself to sleep tonight watching 2019 highlights.

I still don't understand why we can't build an equal or better football program than Iowa City. I'm tired bros. See you next week

Last edited:

Fleck's teams are notoriously exploitable. Good coaches make adjustments at halftime and we're stuck slackjawed.

This is what happens when you hire inferior coaching talent just so they can fit your system and submit to your philosophy - he even admitted we only hired our DC because he was familiar with what we ran before. Harbaugh also is way too under qualified.

It's a bad sign that PJ hasn't been able to hire solid coordinators outside of his original group.

Same as post week 1. Time to move on is here. Coyle will have no stones to do it. PJ will have another year. We’ve been treading water at best but clearly regressing. It’s time to move on unless we’ve decided 4-8 to 7-5 is ok, which is absolute bullshit
Fleck isn’t getting fired anytime soon.

Only way out of this in the next few seasons is if Fleck bolts for another job which eventually he might if his firing is inevitable.

The next two games @Michigan and USC are likely lost causes. They need to beat UCLA. If not, Harbaugh should be fired and Brosmer benched and Simon/Lindsey should play for next year's sake.

Think Fleck is on the clock now. 2-3 years and he's gone if next year doesn't provide a reason for optimism.

You think he's on the clock now and are willing to give him 2-3 more years? We were 5-7 last year, will be lucky to have that record this year and you want to see what the next 2-3 years brings?

You think he's on the clock now and are willing to give him 2-3 more years? We were 5-7 last year, will be lucky to have that record this year and you want to see what the next 2-3 years brings?
i think this is more the pragmatic view to how impotent our AD is

The next two games @Michigan and USC are likely lost causes. They need to beat UCLA. If not, Harbaugh should be fired and Brosmer benched and Simon/Lindsey should play for next year's sake.
Honestly if we're going to throw the ball this much I'd rather see Lindsey out there anyways. Our 3 WR's are solid but we aren't getting them the ball.

Fleck isn’t getting fired anytime soon.

Only way out of this in the next few seasons is if Fleck bolts for another job which eventually he might if his firing is inevitable.
When there’s no interest the heat will turn way up. Firing the OC gives him another year or two but after that the empty seats will force it. The interest will plummet.

That 2/3 includes this year. Also:

i think this is more the pragmatic view to how impotent our AD is

Fleck isn't fired after this year. Zero chance. He should get a prove it year to show if he's got a team that can compete moving forward.

As I predicted 3 or 4 win season. To many weak coaches to be any better than that. Did PJ tell our OC and DC to back off and play not to lose? That’s what it looked like from my seat.

As I predicted 3 or 4 win season. To many weak coaches to be any better than that. Did PJ tell our OC and DC to back off and play not to lose? That’s what it looked like from my seat.
You can't win the pig if you recuit a Hampshire Hog as your QB.

Apologies for the rant, but feel like it sums up my (and maybe many others) Gopher fandom right now.

It's time. It is time to move on from PJ.

I am a previous hardcore Fleck fan who thought he was a great hire. I thought his rah rah attitude coupled with a mauling ground game was something we could build sustainably with our recruiting grounds and could accent it with under the radar runners and a competent enough QB with a stout defense to make it work. 2019 seemed to prove that and things felt great. Unfortunately, literally every single season since then has been a step back. Numerous chances, a shitty division, veteran rosters, and still he cannot close a single deal. This season, he had shown some growth which I think gave us all some optimism. He was willing to actually throw the ball. He was willing to bring in a pressure focused defensive coordinator.

But then you take a step back and... he has absolutely no idea how to manage a team on gameday. He can't help them ride the highs and the lows. He can't divise a gameplan adjustment after half (just look at his w/l while trailing and all he's doing is adding Ls when leading after half at this point). He doesn't know how to manage the clock. It's just a damn mess.

I love PJ for what he does in the community. I love that he holds his players accountable to their coursework and he actually seems to care about what they become in this world. but...

That's not the world we live in anymore because the rules have changed. I don't want to make bowls because our APR is good. I want to make them because we fucking can curbstomp other teams and win games at least 6 god damn times in this new big ten and maybe every once in awhile have a schedule and a team that flirts with 10 and a playoff birth because 10 in the new b10 will get you close. PJ isn't that guy. He's not going to accept his deficiencies and hire a veteran OC who's been there and turn it over to them. He's not going to recruit well enough here we can play Dantonio press and pressure style defense to force turnovers and create havoc. He's just not that good at any of the specific spheres of being a coach but is that executive who says nice things in meetings but you wonder what the fuck he actually does every day. He doesn't call the plays but controls them. He recruits but only his type of guy and not well enough to land in the top 25 EVER. He doesn't adjust well enough on gameday like someone like Bielema does to steal games when you have lesser talents.

Personally it's been a fun ride. But watching Ferentz yet again walk out of MN with Floyd is enough. PJ inspires no worry or fear in any coach because they know they're going to have an easy, predictable day against him. We are more talented than iowa yet again, and yet again we fucking lost. That's on the coaching at the end of the day, whether the guys in maroon make the plays or not.

As yall know, I'm on this site almost every day. I bleed maroon and gold. I'll be there at the game next week. But ffs at some point enough is enough in watching the same old shit recycled. He had yet another chance to change the narrative today that he could dominate a rival and choked his chicken in the second half and looked like a scared puppy in the headlights. That's been PJ every year since 2019. Theres been no signature wins. It's time to stop living in the past and time for a new start

ov0zXOi.jpeg

This is what happens when you hire inferior coaching talent just so they can fit your system and submit to your philosophy - he even admitted we only hired our DC because he was familiar with what we ran before. Harbaugh also is way too under qualified.

It's a bad sign that PJ hasn't been able to hire solid coordinators outside of his original group.
Not to mention that his two GOOD coordinators left for lateral jobs. That tells you something right there.

I'm feelng extremely demoralized right now and have no confidence in the coaching. I'm very much in the moment after the loss, but in the past I'd make excuses to justify the shit. This is just shit, there's no specific reasoning aside from garbage coaching. Missed tackles, piss poor blocking, no adjustments... Fuck this is depressing especially after having all of that momentum going into the half. I don't think Fleck is going to cut it for me anymore.

I see four winnable games left: UCLA, Maryland, Rutgers, Wisconsin.

Say they’re toss ups and we win 2. That’s a 4-8 season. Another year trending downward in an increasingly competitive conference.

I think it is much less, like end if this season because of his record in rivalry trophy games. His record against Iowa alone should be enough to get him fired.
that would require coyle to fire him, which certainly seems unlikely

Top Bottom