Post Game Thread: Gophers Look Abysmal in Home Loss to Badgers

As a Gopher fan I feel like we had the rug pulled out from under us. We supported the team through tough times, and then finally the things that we knew needed to happen were taken care of:
1. Outdoor stadium
2. Premier practice facilities
3. Better coaching hires with Kill and then Fleck.

And then along comes NIL which has quickly moved an already uneven college football landscape to a clear haves vs have nots. Unfortunately it's really hard to find data to back this up, but starting with the Bucky Irving loss, it seems talent has been flowing out more than in.

My biggest concern short term is keeping D Jackson, Ersery, Jah, Walley, Lindenberg...

O-line can't pass block and the receivers rarely get open.

Go get a different qb. It won't matter in the least.
O line did fine and did enough to put us in a spot to be successful if we had a halfway competent qb who goes through his route progression. AK either doesn't know any of the routes other than Jackson's or he refuses to acknowledge anyone but Jackson. I was at the game, there are other open receivers. We are single handedly handicapped by the quarterback. Defenses are not afraid of him. The play calling on offense is also shit. Why go for it on fourth down and follow it up with two runs up the gut that get stuffed?

If nothing changes at OC and qb, next year will be a repeat or worse.

As a Gopher fan I feel like we had the rug pulled out from under us. We supported the team through tough times, and then finally the things that we knew needed to happen were taken care of:
1. Outdoor stadium

And then along comes NIL which has quickly moved an already uneven college football landscape to a clear haves vs have nots. Unfortunately it's really hard to find data to back this up, but starting with the Bucky Irving loss, it seems talent has been flowing out more than in.

My biggest concern short term is keeping D Jackson, Ersery, Jah, Walley, Lindenberg...
That’s nonsense NIL has not affected this year at all.

...at least we're not Auburn. Instead, we knew the outcome early and could turn away from the carnage.

O line did fine and did enough to put us in a spot to be successful if we had a halfway competent qb who goes through his route progression. AK either doesn't know any of the routes other than Jackson's or he refuses to acknowledge anyone but Jackson. I was at the game, there are other open receivers. We are single handedly handicapped by the quarterback. Defenses are not afraid of him. The play calling on offense is also shit. Why go for it on fourth down and follow it up with two runs up the gut that get stuffed?

PJ hired the OC and he ran off all QB competition. It’s on him, dude

Depth was gutted
So true. Came in extremely thin, and then a crazy amount of defensive players lost during the game.

Wisconsin's won the line of scrimmage battle after Minnesota won it the past few years. Allen finally had success vs Minnesota and he no longer was timid. Gophers DLine rarely got pressure and when they did Mordecai was able to easily escape for positive gains.

Still hope the team goes bowling and can work on the offense and tackling.

O-line can't pass block and the receivers rarely get open.

Go get a different qb. It won't matter in the least.
Pretty sure I saw receivers open all year and the ball either at their feet or a high fastball that’s uncatchable. But yea why try and get better at QB, totally wouldn’t have made a difference this year…

Pretty sure I saw receivers open all year and the ball either at their feet or a high fastball that’s uncatchable. But yea why try and get better at QB, totally wouldn’t have made a difference this year…
From The Gopher Gridiron podcast it sounds like it takes upwards of $150k per year to bring in a transfer QB and I don't know whether DA has that type of money yet.

1. Outdoor stadium

IMO the portal is more detrimental to a program like Minnesota than NIL.

With the current transfer rules it is hard to keep guys around long enough to develop them and maintain depth.

The way of the developmental program may be over.

I don't know why the offense can look fluid and decent like on the two TD drives and then look so constipated on other drives. I know Wisconsin's front 7 outplayed the Gophers, but some of the pass plays were obvious like 3rd and 8 and then Athan didn't typically make good throws or decisions.

PJ hired the OC and he ran off all QB competition. It’s on him, dude
Yes, I understand your vendetta against Fleck. He ain't going anywhere, either he fixes the problem or it repeats itself. I'll support him until the school moves on.

1. Outdoor stadium

Lack of NIL falls on Coyle. 2 years behind. Other teams had everything in place before the word go was given. MN will never catch up.

Mordecai today ate a sack lunch back there, our guy was under a tremendous rush all game.

Go get a different qb and watch what happens.

Lack of NIL falls on Coyle. 2 years behind. Other teams had everything in place before the word go was given. MN will never catch up.
Yes, NIL, but we don't have much talent out there that were recruited.

The game more or less hinged on QB play. The experience, throws and legs of theirs far outplayed ours. The question is can AK improve enough over the off season to do that next year? I don’t think so and It’s unlikely PJ can bring in someone better. A real problem.

If Fleck trots AK out at QB next season, we won't win 4 games.

On another note, I really can't stand the "woe is me" attitude of this fan base. I cannot believe the amount of people who are just like, "well, tbh, this will be the new normal in expanded big ten, so it's really not a big deal." Wtf is wrong with you masochists. The Gophers aren't nearly as poorly positioned to succeed as this fan base makes it out to be. People act like we're fucking Wyoming or some shit.

Pj the p word. My god when will he learn up a touchdown 4th and 2 from the 43 he punts. That was game to me. Find a transfer qb this he is not it. We averaged 140 yards passing a game on 52% passing. That is not going to work in 2023.
I agree with your assessment at the end of the year, but last year after the wisconsin game and the bowl everybody was ready to toss their daughters to the feet of Ak because was soooo good. That’s what we all saw and it was impressive, how could the coaches have taken it any other way? Something went a miss this year with Ak and he isn’t probably the guy but everyone on this board was jerking him off after the badger game last year and go read the threads if you don’t believe me. This has always been a marginal football team ex for 2019 and that’s just the way it is and the way it will probably always be. New coach and new qb will just make the same so so team.

On another note, I really can't stand the "woe is me" attitude of this fan base. I cannot believe the amount of people who are just like, "well, tbh, this will be the new normal in expanded big ten, so it's really not a big deal." Wtf is wrong with you masochists. The Gophers aren't nearly as poorly positioned to succeed as this fan base makes it out to be. People act like we're fucking Wyoming or some shit.
What in the gophers history in the last 30 years would make you think that. Absolutely the best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best in there good years. No big ten west title and no big ten title in forever and a day. Even in 2019 they were just good enough to lose to Iowa and get embarrassed by wisconsin in the biggest game ever on campus. I fully understand this fan base.

Wyoming would dominate the Gophers.

We may well as look at this as Fleck’s first year, that’s the way Fleck should look at it. That’s where this program is at. Try to get the guy from Kansas, at least he can coach football. Not even competitive at home vs the worst Wisconsin team in 30 years.
I like the thought but not a chance Leipold leaves KU for this mess. I’m sure he’s on a few SEC schools radar.

So, did the Gophers finished last in the Big West?

The traditional MN coaching carousel destined to continue:

1. Fire/Lose clown-like program energizer
2. Hire boring program builder
3. Prematurely fire/lose boring program builder
4. Hire clown-like program energizer
5. (Repeat every decade)

Lou Holtz (clown-like program energizer)

John Gutekunst (boring program builder)

Jim Wacker (clown-like program energizer)

Glen Mason (boring program builder)

Tim Brewster (clown-like program energizer)

Jerry Kill (boring program builder)

PJ Fleck (clown-like program energizer)

Gophers were under-manned and lacked depth, and talent to continue to get stops. When they ran on 3rd and 5, with 3 timeouts near midfield in first half with under 2 minutes, that was the moment I knew and expected the Badgers would win. PJ has changed, that moment showed it.
Yep. For a team that struggled to sustain drives to get a high percentage fourth down opportunity and punt was incredibly shortsighted. PJ has to be the least aggressive coach - when he ought to be aggressive - and most foolish when he shouldn’t that I’ve ever seen (limited sample set caveat)

Prayers a strong OC is hired that can handle PJ, and let him focus on day to day operations and recruiting.

What in the gophers history in the last 30 years would make you think that. Absolutely the best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best in there good years. No big ten west title and no big ten title in forever and a day. Even in 2019 they were just good enough to lose to Iowa and get embarrassed by wisconsin in the biggest game ever on campus. I fully understand this fan base.
My point is we don't have to accept the last 30 years as the norm. I think a Big Ten campus in a major city like Minneapolis has a lot to offer.

I think that serves as both a disadvantage and advantage. The ideal situation seems to be a city like Madison - big enough to be a decent sized city, but small enough where the Badgers are the only thing in town. The Gophers have to compete with so many other entertainment options. At the same time, when it comes to coaching and even player recruiting, the twin cities have a helluva lot more to offer than places like East Lansing, Bloomington and West Lafayette IN, and Champaign, just to name a few. I'm not saying that means we should expect to be better than those schools, but it's also unfair to act like Minnesota has nothing to offer to potential players and coaches

My point behind all of this is that with the right president and AD, we could be a really good program. This whole "woe is me" attitude is pathetic.

Our QB has done ok with flashes here and there. The reality is we had no other better options. Now he played significant time each of the last two years. He will have an entire off season to get better. He will show us in the first five games next year if he is the guy. Look at winning football teams and you see a great qb. We only won 5 games. Our Qb is just ok. Doesn’t use his legs enough and has no touch on his passes. Fix those two things and hopefully PJs time investment in him pays off.

Ha!!!
You can’t make it up.
Didn’t even watch. PJs dumbass has lost me. Thank god for Tulane.

Beyond dumb coach has made it easy for me to let go and move on. Roll Green Wave!!!!

Top Bottom