Post Game Thread: Gophers Destroy Indiana

TM2 had some very 2019-like moments today, I was happy for him.

Beat the f'n Badgers next week. I know we have had disappointing moments this year, but if we go 6-3 in the Big 10 and beat WI, that's a really good season. Period. That doesn't mean we can't ponder on what could have been, but if the Gophers go 8-4 and beat WI, I'm happy.

One win over Wisconsin + one Nebraska win over Iowa + one Purdue win over Indiana away from going to Indianapolis to play OSU/Michigan.
Crazy thing is that all 3 of those things could happen. Purdue will beat Indiana. Nebraska just put up 28 on Wisconsin and is playing at home so they absolutely can beat Iowa. Then it just comes down to our game with Wisconsin.

In the end though, not all that concerned about whether or not we get to Indy....just want the win over the Badgers.

Slow start today but good to see the team settle in and take care of business against a bad team.

No go beat the f...in Badgers.

Indiana and Bugeaters suck. Just get the Axe and move on. 😎👊🏻

Once we broke out of the early funk we were fine...against Indiana.

Still, I feel better going into next Saturday. I don't know if Nebraska is better than us but they did put up points on Wisconsin. Therein lies hope...

A mid-afternoon start is great. Weather should not be a factor.

As Wren would say...Just beat the Badger Gopher.

Guaranteed another season with a winning record in the B1G. Despite shitty losses to Illinois and Iowa, hard to bitch too much about accomplishing this again. Playing meaningful games in mid-late November, another important step

We gave up our obligatory first-drive TD, the team settled in well. Still, it was never
an easy feeling until we were up by two scores. Too much rough history with them
Hoosiers.

Impressive adjustments by Rossi after the defense looked atrocious to start the game. At times on that first drive it looked like we must only have 8-9 guys on the filed with the room the Hoosiers QB had to run. To go from that to completely shutting down a team to the point where a single first down was a victory for them was impressive.

PJ going for that 4th and 1 on the first drive was annoying after last weeks decisions. It really does seem to me like PJ is fine going for it when he's confident we're much better than our opponent, but won't go in games he feels are tighter. If there was one constant gripe with this game it was that the 3rd and 4th and shorts all seemed really ugly when the Gophers tried to go for them. If you claim you are a running team, these 3rd and 4th and shorts should be close to automatic and you shouldn't need to go to smoke and mirrors to try to pick them up...a huge difference between Minnesota and Iowa/Wisconsin in this area.

Morgan had 3 balls that could have been picked on that opening drive. I am sure a lot of people on here were quite angry at that time. He also had a very poor decision to try to throw a ball to CrAB in to double coverage in the end zone later. Last I checked he was 14-20 so it's odd that at least 4 of the 6 incompletions were really, really dicey situations.

Would have liked to see the Gophers either A. Step on Indiana's throat and actually practice throwing the ball once it was 28-7 or B. Get some backups in (including at QB) to get guys some game experience and rest up some key players for what could be a huge game next week. I am not sure what was gained by continually running the ball and just punting it back to Indiana and forcing the starting defense to play more snaps...but PJ seems intent on trying to run out the clock at all costs.

Go Nebraska

I'd like to forget. I believe one of those losses came the week after we beat Ohio State!
You are correct. That was 2000 and the score was 51-43 (had to look it up).

Listened to it on the radio while raking leaves. We just had no answer that day. Ron Johnson was in that game too I believe.

These days overlapped with Drew Brees at Purdue. The State of Indiana was tough on the Gophers in those times.

Nice to get the win today! D got better after the first drive plus two picks. TM threw better as well. CrAB had a great day! Hopefully Walley is ready to go next weekend. It’s Axe week! We need to put it all together next Saturday! Let’s beat the skunks!

Solid win. Another great effort from defense. Shows what a balanced offensive game plan can do. I hope they get Wright on the field more next week. Guy makes clutch catches and would certainly free up CAB. Nebby showed a lot today on how to beat Wisconsin defense.

Almost fell asleep in the first quarter. After that, there was enough action to keep me awake. Nice win- but the Gophs will have to play 60 minutes to win next week. 45 minutes won't do it.
Possible it might take 66 minutes...but we'll take it.

Impressive adjustments by Rossi after the defense looked atrocious to start the game. At times on that first drive it looked like we must only have 8-9 guys on the filed with the room the Hoosiers QB had to run. To go from that to completely shutting down a team to the point where a single first down was a victory for them was impressive.

PJ going for that 4th and 1 on the first drive was annoying after last weeks decisions. It really does seem to me like PJ is fine going for it when he's confident we're much better than our opponent, but won't go in games he feels are tighter. If there was one constant gripe with this game it was that the 3rd and 4th and shorts all seemed really ugly when the Gophers tried to go for them. If you claim you are a running team, these 3rd and 4th and shorts should be close to automatic and you shouldn't need to go to smoke and mirrors to try to pick them up...a huge difference between Minnesota and Iowa/Wisconsin in this area.

Morgan had 3 balls that could have been picked on that opening drive. I am sure a lot of people on here were quite angry at that time. He also had a very poor decision to try to throw a ball to CrAB in to double coverage in the end zone later. Last I checked he was 14-20 so it's odd that at least 4 of the 6 incompletions were really, really dicey situations.

Would have liked to see the Gophers either A. Step on Indiana's throat and actually practice throwing the ball once it was 28-7 or B. Get some backups in (including at QB) to get guys some game experience and rest up some key players for what could be a huge game next week. I am not sure what was gained by continually running the ball and just punting it back to Indiana and forcing the starting defense to play more snaps...but PJ seems intent on trying to run out the clock at all costs.

Go Nebraska

Morgan looked terrible to start. I'm glad the Gophs kept throwing, if nothing else, to get that part of the game going and give the receivers some looks. The Gophs won't be able to just run it vs. Wisconsin.

Go Nebraska
Agree 100%, and I think a lot of others do as well. If you’re just going into run-run-run mode, put in LeCaptain so you don’t injure one of your 2 remaining RBs. Or better yet, throw the ball a few times and let the offense get into a groove and practice some. I am thoroughly convinced that because they pass so little, Morgan and the WRs aren’t able to get into a decent rhythm, and that is further hampering the passing game.

But of course we have enough evidence that PJ would never do either of your suggestions. Maddening, yes, but he’s determined that he is a tiger and can’t change his stripes.

Last edited:

Solid team win. I even saw Annexstad return some punts for decent pickups in the first half. Hi PJ! /s

Step 1: beat a down team that we ought to, renew hope
Step 2: finish Wisconsin.

Nice to relax after that Indiana gift before the half. For all the bitching about P.J. other coaches certainly have their share of "What the hell is he is doing moves." Already getting wound up for the shitheads to the east. I assume-hope like hell-they're going to put in some new things for them. That screen play was neat and it would be nice to see more things like that next Saturday. I'd like to see them go quickly for a series or two; or at least on short yardage.

Nice to relax after that Indiana gift before the half. For all the bitching about P.J. other coaches certainly have their share of "What the hell is he is doing moves." Already getting wound up for the shitheads to the east. I assume-hope like hell-they're going to put in some new things for them.
Against the Wisky defense, the game plan for next week is going to be a huge task for Sanford and company. If he can put together something that delivers the Axe, I'm willing to forgive and forget all past grievances

Top Bottom