Post Game Thread: Gophers Defeat Eastern Michigan and Improve to 2-0!!

I don’t get what we’re doing on offense. We have a good and deep WR group, yet we run almost exclusively a 2 TE set.
I am concerned that we don’t have a plan on offense. Fortunately, if you can run the ball you can get away with just running. But there doesn’t appear to be any sort of plan in the passing game.

Probably the worst play of the game was was on 3rd & goal from the 6 just before our first FG. An obvious passing situation to the defense with a very short field, and we ran a 2-man route into crowded 7-man coverage. A straight pass too, not even a play action. Sure enough AK throws to the WR who was triple covered. I mean what the hell was that. Check out of that or call a TO. We have lots of work in front of this us this week after seeing those two first red zone opportunities.
I saw that too and rewound it a few times to watch because I was dumbfounded. I am glad the red zone offense was painfully bad today because I have no doubt it will get a lot of focus this week in practice.

I don’t love seeing Taylor with 33 carries, but after seeing Tyler fumble 3 times, all you wanna do is just put the game away without any drama, so I get riding the guy who’s been effective. Hopefully Tyler can figure out the ball security issues and we throw the ball a bit more so we can get to a bit more balanced state.

Hopefully bsf and Mav are both ok.
Listening to the post game while I was stuck in the parking ramp. JG asked Fleck about BSF, Fleck was adamant and unambiguous that he's fine. There wasn't even an "obviously, we'll be in touch with the trainers but..." caveat to it.

- Questions on defense are being answered. Did EMU get a first down in the second half?

- Kyler Baugh is a beast!

- Need to keep Baronowski on the field when Lindenberg returns!

- Taylor looks like Mo with a better burst! Maybe separating himself from the other backs!

- Tyler could give us a good one two punch, but concerned about ball security!

- Receiver room has been a little disappointing outside of Jackson including BSF!

I am concerned that we don’t have a plan on offense. Fortunately, if you can run the ball you can get away with just running. But there doesn’t appear to be any sort of plan in the passing game.

I agree with this. No flow to the passing game at all.

I don’t love seeing Taylor with 33 carries, but after seeing Tyler fumble 3 times, all you wanna do is just put the game away without any drama, so I get riding the guy who’s been effective. Hopefully Tyler can figure out the ball security issues and we throw the ball a bit more so we can get to a bit more balanced state.

tyler needs to learn the ball is the program. anything else gets you a seat on the sideline.

2nd Half defense was some of the best I have ever seen from the Gophers. Amazing. If the O can run like today, we have something pretty good moving forward.
Yeah EMU had less than 25 total yards total second half...net had to be something like 10 yards.

this may seem like a quibble - but I think it could make a big difference as the season goes on --

Athan has got to develop some touch on his passes. on some of the shorter throws and dump-offs, he's gunning it in there at top velocity. he needs to be able to vary his delivery to throw a change-up, or float it over the head of a defender.

my other thought - 33 carries for a true FR RB??? I expected them to keep Tyler's carries at or below 20, because he has never been a workhorse. But geez, there has to be someone else on the roster that the coaches trust enough to take a few carries and give Taylor a break. I hope Burns or another media person asks about Evans.
Fleck addressed this multiple times after the game in his presser. He straight up called out Evans and also talked multiple times about the ball being the program and it was put on the ground (Tyler) way more than he likes. Also stated they wanted to run the ball last night as a measuring stick for where they're at.

I think you'll see a more balanced attack this week, although watching Appy State and that undersized online push NC around all day makes me think we're gonna be taking it to them on the ground and using play action the same way they did. Carolinas defense is atrocious.

In my eyes P.J. is responsible for Maverick injury. Why not kneel down with 36 seconds instead trying to score more points? Which we didn’t need. Just stupid to put our defense on the field again.

Great to see the student completely full for a non conference, night game with nice weather. I wish there was a way to keep them in the game longer. Even the Nebraska game you could tell the energy was slipping and didn’t come back

My thoughts:

-Defense is even better than I thought last week.
-E. Michigan is one of the better teams in the E. Michigan, so overall pleased.
-Would have liked to see more diversity in the offense, but I kind of felt like PJ was really trying to prove it to himself and the team that they could still over power teams and run the ball when needed.
-Kesich is gonna be a weapon. Not saying I want anyone to get hurt, but Redding being out is a plus in the return game.
-I guess it is nice Tommy Olson got a shot in the booth, but man was he bad.

Northwestern and Louisiana give opportunities.
Hope you're right - I'm worried about the Ragin' Cajun's giving us more of a game than most think. It's the classic trap game. It comes after Northwestern (where we should dominate and we'll think we're great) and before the Michigan game (which will be on every player's mind, whether we admit it or not).

Great to see the student completely full for a non conference, night game with nice weather. I wish there was a way to keep them in the game longer. Even the Nebraska game you could tell the energy was slipping and didn’t come back
Buy them beers...
🤣

Huh?
Cant speak for last night, but the student section was AMAZING for Nebraska. Awesome energy, right through the end.
As was the entire stadium, actually.

Huh?
Cant speak for last night, but the student section was AMAZING for Nebraska. Awesome energy, right through the end.
As was the entire stadium, actually.
I commented last night during the game how awesome the student section was. Was completely full for a game against a MAC team!

Anyone know where to get yesterday’s snap counts? I wasn’t able to watch the game as closely as I usually do and was surprised Joyner didn’t show up in the box score.

Anyone know where to get yesterday’s snap counts? I wasn’t able to watch the game as closely as I usually do and was surprised Joyner didn’t show up in the box score.
Gophersports game recap/boxscore has a tab for Participation.

Top Bottom