Post Game Thoughts

6) Trick plays can go either way. In this case it really backfired. I would have to see it again, was it a Blitz? If it had worked, then people would have been all over it praising the call. As it was, it really set us back.

We were on a roll at that time though. In a sense, why do trickery when things are going well? No real need to show your play book in a situation like that.
As much as it backfired (I think it just happened to be the right stunt at the right time to put them in position to blow that up), I do have to at least give a nod to Sanford for trying something other than run-run-pass. Had that dude not made that play, there was room to run on that side as the defense was over-pursuing hard. Just a very good defensive play.

The blitz pick up by Ky Thomas on the Brown-Stephens TD was a thing of beauty.

I also thought CJ Anderson played well.
Glad someone else saw the blitz pickup by the freshman. The throw and catch was great, no question, but Ky Thomas bought Morgan time to complete the throw. He's going to get some praise in film tomorrow, and it is little things like that play that earn trust with coaches and teammates.

I agree with the Nebraska can beat Iowa and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin defense is good, but so is Nebraska's. Nebraska's just played some tougher teams.

Iowa will have a hard time scoring against Nebraska if they don't get short fields from turnovers.
Nebraska's defense is sound.

Nebraska only has 4 games left, and they will do us a favor with each one if they win.

Purdue
WI
Iowa

And even them beating OSU so we have a better chance of playing an unbeaten (or one loss) MI or MI ST would be good.
I think Huskers have better chance of beating both Whisky and Hawks than Purdue..

Did you watch the entire Iowa game today? Did you see their Penn St game last week?
Nebraska isn't going to beat Iowa by throwing and I think that's where Iowa is vulnerable. Did you see Martinez today?

Last edited:

(1) Great win. Every Big 10 win is a great win and this one was no different.
(2) The defense was fantastic today. Our offense put them into tough spots but this has been one of our better defenses that I can remember.
(3) That Bryce kid from Nebraska stinks. He was beaten like a drum all day by three different Gophers.
(4) That TE from Nebraska is pretty damn good. He made a few plays that were just really goods.
(5) Tanner was really good in the first half and the first INT was just a good play. The second INT. . . oh boy.
(6) I don't know if I have ever been more annoyed at a trick play attempt than I was with the flea flicker in the first half. No reason for it. We had them reeling.
(7) Our OL and DL really dominated the LOS today.
(8) Our play calling in the first half was great, it was pretty crappy in the second half. Some of that was just losing battles, some of it I believe was playcalling.
(9) Bryce Williams drinks for free in Dinkytown. The guy has done everything right. His two TDs in Camp Randall were legendary. He got a little buried on the depth chart, so he made himself into a great blocking RB (found a niche to continue helping the team), and when he got another opportunity he was great today.
(10) The miss holding calls have been pretty blatant all season. There were a few today that were REALLY bad.
Disagree with #5. Tanner threw the ball late. He threw it late on the deep ball to CAB too, and under threw it. He also threw it late and under threw the one CAB caught going over the middle. He’s done this in previous games as well. If he throws it a little earlier there all touchdowns.

The fourth down stand at the goal line was outstanding. To be honest, historically with the Gophers if a team gets within a yard of the end zone I sort of expect them to convert, particularly with a very athletic QB. Can’t say enough.

The defense really pressured Martinez all day, causing a number of rushed throws. To his credit, Martinez even completed a couple he probably shouldn’t have.

CAB was key. Great game. Did someone mention he was injured towards the end?

Morgan had a great game, with exception of a throw that almost comically got away from him for the second interception. Not acceptable, but doesn’t delete a 20 of 24 day.

Bryce had a nice day and happy to see him have some success after toiling in a bit role for years. He seems like the type of guy that needs an opportunity to warm up and get more reps. The talent in Irving and Thomas is obvious. They will only get better.

The west is there for the taking. There is zero reason the gophers can’t defeat Iowa or Wisconsin. Don’t stop believin’.

At what point do we start giving credit to coach Callahan and PJ for assembling a damn good offensive line? For years now, really decades, I've been hoping and expecting MN would develop top notch OLs like Whiskey and Hawknuts have. It's getting there. They need to put a few in the NFL to really spin it up.

Glad to see Brady Boyd get his first pass reception of his career and his on side fumble recovery was clutch.
Yeah, glad to see him get that first catch... hat onside recovery almost wasn't clutch, though.
2. I’m still frustrated Fleck took a knee before halftime. I know some people in the game thread were “1000% fine” with that, but I just think: you have two timeouts, 50+ seconds on the clock and like 45 yards to go to attempt a long field goal. Why not try something? It seemed like even Morgan wanted to get out of there. I wish he’d be a little more fiery in that instance, but what’re you going to do.
Tanner had just thrown two ints... one of 'em was truly ugly. I can't imagine that anyone wanted to push the ball downfield under those circumstances.

(1) Great win. Every Big 10 win is a great win and this one was no different.
(2) The defense was fantastic today. Our offense put them into tough spots but this has been one of our better defenses that I can remember.
(3) That Bryce kid from Nebraska stinks. He was beaten like a drum all day by three different Gophers.
(4) That TE from Nebraska is pretty damn good. He made a few plays that were just really goods.
(5) Tanner was really good in the first half and the first INT was just a good play. The second INT. . . oh boy.
(6) I don't know if I have ever been more annoyed at a trick play attempt than I was with the flea flicker in the first half. No reason for it. We had them reeling.
(7) Our OL and DL really dominated the LOS today.
(8) Our play calling in the first half was great, it was pretty crappy in the second half. Some of that was just losing battles, some of it I believe was playcalling.
(9) Bryce Williams drinks for free in Dinkytown. The guy has done everything right. His two TDs in Camp Randall were legendary. He got a little buried on the depth chart, so he made himself into a great blocking RB (found a niche to continue helping the team), and when he got another opportunity he was great today.
(10) The miss holding calls have been pretty blatant all season. There were a few today that were REALLY bad.
Wren tried to tell us that for years!

Nebbie definitely beats Iowa in Lincoln. They also win at Madison.
MargeCarMeme.png

Glad to see Purdue beat Iowa. We think our OL has problems (at times) Iowa’s right tackle couldn’t block my 93 year old Mother. Weak wouldn’t come close to describing his abilities - at least today. But still can’t stand Prohm.

I know this will sound weird, but I think Williams had better straightaway speed than Irving. Not as shifty, clearly. Doesn’t reverse field like Bucko. But faster after two steps, maybe. I’ve never seen Williams caught or run down in the open field.

Lack of blitzing was very noticeable, but I think it was part of a plan of keeping Martinez “in front” of our LBs at all times. It worked … because our DL had a fine game. MD Anderson is going to be a force once the veterans move on.
Having patience and waiting for your blocks >>> break away speed. It's something Mo has excelled at as well.

1) why didn't they throw it more to Allen??? Dude is a monster and had his way with us.
2) Rossi is the man, and the defense won this game for us

biggest thing:
3) sorry, but Tanner Morgan does not have a great arm. I don't know if something changed since 2019? Or if he didn't then either, and we did more medium passes? But regardless, his arm strength is just not there. Lot of longer passes where receivers have to slow up or just plain stop to catch the ball.

1) why didn't they throw it more to Allen??? Dude is a monster and had his way with us.
2) Rossi is the man, and the defense won this game for us

biggest thing:
3) sorry, but Tanner Morgan does not have a great arm. I don't know if something changed since 2019? Or if he didn't then either, and we did more medium passes? But regardless, his arm strength is just not there. Lot of longer passes where receivers have to slow up or just plain stop to catch the ball.
I don't think anything changed, what we are missing is Johnson and Bateman turning their receptions into great YAC.

"Rashod Bateman’s career YAC per reception and forced missed tackle per reception averages ranked inside the 71st and 90th percentiles, respectively, among qualifying Power 5 wide receivers since 2014. There are no wasted movements with Bateman’s game. He works with efficient feet before and after the catch, which translates to easy separation and yards above expectation." per PFF

Justified or not, the poop on Johnson right now is that he's a one-trick pony (catch and YAC across the middle) with a habit of dropping potential gainers. A good senior season could be worth a lot of money to him.
I couldn't find anyone else to corroborate my take on Johnson other than ekmn and my own lying eyes.

On the trick play, noted above that I thought it was bad timing and poorly executed.

On the Gophers recaps this AM on KFAN, all three...Gaard, Burns, and Barreiro...all thought it was great to try. Better if it worked of course, but their main point was many (including me) have been on Sanford's butt for not being imaginative. Well, in their opinion he delivered a play exactly in line with the criticism where the play deviated from what was working...which is one time you run a trick play.

I still think it was a bad call...but maybe some work on recognizing the D in the moment for blocking is what's needed for hopefully the next try at a better time. Definitely the bad blocking is what blew it up. Apparently the TE was all alone in the end zone taking a cigarette break waiting for the ball.

Last edited:

I’m ok with trying the trick play, but I thought the timing of it was poor. Of course had it worked it probably would have seemed genius.

That touchdown to MBS showed really nice touch. But Tanner left a lot of yards on the field and probably a touchdown with the underthrows. Looked like one of the interceptions was underthrown as well. Lot more work for the receivers to have to go up and battle with the DBs vs catching it in stride when they get a couple steps. Was very impressed with Autman-Bell this game.

Yeah, glad to see him get that first catch... hat onside recovery almost wasn't clutch, though.

Tanner had just thrown two ints... one of 'em was truly ugly. I can't imagine that anyone wanted to push the ball downfield under those circumstances.
They took a knee in the first half. The picks came in the second half.

Taking a knee in the first half is one of those decisions where I’m fine either way, especially with getting the ball to start the second half.

Disagree with #5. Tanner threw the ball late. He threw it late on the deep ball to CAB too, and under threw it. He also threw it late and under threw the one CAB caught going over the middle. He’s done this in previous games as well. If he throws it a little earlier there all touchdowns.
Yep, not a perfect pass, but about 5 DBs in the country can make the play. He's throws that ball in that exact scenario, it's a TD more often than it's an INT. IMO.

Top Bottom