Post Game Thoughts

That touchdown to MBS showed really nice touch. But Tanner left a lot of yards on the field and probably a touchdown with the underthrows. Looked like one of the interceptions was underthrown as well. Lot more work for the receivers to have to go up and battle with the DBs vs catching it in stride when they get a couple steps. Was very impressed with Autman-Bell this game.
Yes, exactly.

On that pick, our receiver (forgot if it was MBS again, or if it was CrAB) had a couple steps on his guy. The safety was running over, though, so I can't say with certainty that if Tanner had thrown the ball in front of our receiver it would have been a TD. But would've at least gave him a chance to catch it. Our guy had to completely slow up to try to catch it, and instead it turned into a pick.

EDIT: watch the highlights I posted a few back, starting at 10:53 or so on that reel. Morgan hits BSF for a beautiful medium length pass. Hits Wright for another beautiful medium length pass. Then it was the long pass down the right sideline to MBS. I do think if he had a better arm it could have been a TD. But it was short and was picked off instead for a touchback.

biggest thing:
3) sorry, but Tanner Morgan does not have a great arm. I don't know if something changed since 2019? Or if he didn't then either, and we did more medium passes? But regardless, his arm strength is just not there. Lot of longer passes where receivers have to slow up or just plain stop to catch the ball.
Just listening to Derek Burns break down the game on Gopher Gridiron Radio and he thinks that Tanner is worried about over throwing the receiver in the instances where they have to slow up.

Just listening to Derek Burns break down the game on Gopher Gridiron Radio and he thinks that Tanner is worried about over throwing the receiver in the instances where they have to slow up.

I don't know about that and doubt it (albeit, there were some overthrows earlier in the season with young receivers breaking stride) but both interceptions occurred going westerly into the 15-20 mph wind if I recall correctly. I doubt that really impacted the endzone interception but the 2nd interception was a combination duck ball that looked to slip from his hands and into the wind. It happens.

Yep, not a perfect pass, but about 5 DBs in the country can make the play. He's throws that ball in that exact scenario, it's a TD more often than it's an INT. IMO.
WR Could've helped Tanner out a little and fought for it, I think Crab at least gets in there to make it incomplete

Great post Bob. I thought the first Tanner INT was a good read just that the pick was either the result of Tanner being a split second late or Tanner's lack of arm strength coming in to play. FWIW, PJ in his post game comments agreed with you calling it a great throw and that the DB making that play was an All American for a reason and also that MBS needed to jump up, not back for the ball. Concern again was Tanner really not making any plays after that pick as his next throw was the bad interception and that was pretty much the end of any passing game for the day.

Couple other thoughts

1. I think we have to come around to viewing Brown-Stephens as a legitimate weapon. Maybe others had already come to that conclusion, but after the last two games, I am on board, he's getting behind B1G DB's.

2. I got the feeling with some of the playing time decisions on Saturday, that the coaching staff took the bye week to decide to play some guys more often that were actually producing at the expense of a couple guys who may have a higher ceiling.

3. Would like to see a couple of those passes to Allen over the middle again as it was concerning how wide open he was at times.

4. It's impressive (but also baffling) that we seem to be able to get the better of Nebraska in the trenches consistently. This is the 3rd straight game against them where both our OL and DL seemed to get the better of their oppostion. Nebraska seems to hold up better in the trenches against some other B1G teams (Iowa comes to mind) that we consistently struggle against.

5. A couple of those late 3rd and short plays seemed like the problem was more execution than the playcall from Sanford. On the Kramer wildcat run that came up short, it was either big Dan or the RG next to him who blew up the play. They had a double team on the DL that would make the play and the RG moved to the second level to another defender but big Dan couldn't keep him that DL from getting to Kramer. Not sure if the RG should have stayed on the block longer or if it was on on big Dan as I am nowhere near an OL expert (who came back to absolutely demolish some guys later on). On the Ky Thomas 3rd and short play, the yardage appeared to be there and Ky simply didn't get it.

Great post Bob. I thought the first Tanner INT was a good read just that the pick was either the result of Tanner being a split second late or Tanner's lack of arm strength coming in to play. FWIW, PJ in his post game comments agreed with you calling it a great throw and that the DB making that play was an All American for a reason and also that MBS needed to jump up, not back for the ball. Concern again was Tanner really not making any plays after that pick as his next throw was the bad interception and that was pretty much the end of any passing game for the day.

Couple other thoughts

1. I think we have to come around to viewing Brown-Stephens as a legitimate weapon. Maybe others had already come to that conclusion, but after the last two games, I am on board, he's getting behind B1G DB's.

2. I got the feeling with some of the playing time decisions on Saturday, that the coaching staff took the bye week to decide to play some guys more often that were actually producing at the expense of a couple guys who may have a higher ceiling.

3. Would like to see a couple of those passes to Allen over the middle again as it was concerning how wide open he was at times.

4. It's impressive (but also baffling) that we seem to be able to get the better of Nebraska in the trenches consistently. This is the 3rd straight game against them where both our OL and DL seemed to get the better of their oppostion. Nebraska seems to hold up better in the trenches against some other B1G teams (Iowa comes to mind) that we consistently struggle against.

5. A couple of those late 3rd and short plays seemed like the problem was more execution than the playcall from Sanford. On the Kramer wildcat run that came up short, it was either big Dan or the RG next to him who blew up the play. They had a double team on the DL that would make the play and the RG moved to the second level to another defender but big Dan couldn't keep him that DL from getting to Kramer. Not sure if the RG should have stayed on the block longer or if it was on on big Dan as I am nowhere near an OL expert (who came back to absolutely demolish some guys later on). On the Ky Thomas 3rd and short play, the yardage appeared to be there and Ky simply didn't get it.
Can you elaborate on #2 a bit more? I'm having trouble recalling specific instances from my one watch on Saturday. I know there was talk of Walley getting even more PT. I did notice Donald Willis on a blitz as well.

Couple other thoughts

Specifically to #3, I think that was somewhat by design. If you notice, Nebraska got next to nothing out of their outside receivers. I get the feeling the whole focus of the defense was contain Martinez in the pocket and take away his outside options. That left Allen open over the middle some but you can live with that if it keeps them from hitting the HR play. Nebraska is one of those teams that really spreads you out and tries to use the whole field, you are going to have to pick your poison to a certain degree on defense and I think Rossi went with the idea of keep everything in front of us and make Martinez beat us with his arm.

Also, on the Morgan picks: He maybe could have thrown the first ball a little better but Cam Taylor-Britt is an NFL DB and he made an amazing play on the ball. That is going to happen sometimes and I can live with picks like that. The second pick was a bad throw and that one is totally on Morgan (which he freely admitted in the post game).

Bolded. Also throwing into the wind? I don't know how windy it was down in the stadium, but it was certainly windy in the upper deck.

And PJ's never going to say "yeah, well ... Tanner just doesn't have a big time arm, the ball didn't get out as far as we'd like to see it, so MBS had to sit back and wait on it". Of course he's going to say the other guy made an otherworldly play on it.

Bolded. Also throwing into the wind? I don't know how windy it was down in the stadium, but it was certainly windy in the upper deck.

And PJ's never going to say "yeah, well ... Tanner just doesn't have a big time arm, the ball didn't get out as far as we'd like to see it, so MBS had to sit back and wait on it". Of course he's going to say the other guy made an otherworldly play on it.
Good lord....go to 1:50 on the video and watch it for yourself. Morgan's throw wasn't perfect but Cam Taylor-Britt (a really really really good defensive back) makes a heck of a play to come up with the INT. The second one was bad, the first one was a great play by a great player.

Last edited:

Remember when a mobile quarterback was the kiss of death for the gopher defense? I've watched the game a couple of times and can't believe how we contained Martinez. Under Rossi our defense is becoming elite! I hope we can hold on to him.

Good lord....go to 1:50 on the video and watch it for yourself. Morgan's throw wasn't perfect but Cam Taylor-Britt (a really really really good defensive back) makes a heck of a play to come up with the INT. The second one was bad, the first one was a great play by a great player.

Nope, you’re going too far the other way and I’m not sure why — plain as day how much MBS has to slow up to even try for a catch on the throw.

If the throw is in the end zone, maybe MBS even had a TD on the play. He had the corner beat.

Remember when a mobile quarterback was the kiss of death for the gopher defense? I've watched the game a couple of times and can't believe how we contained Martinez. Under Rossi our defense is becoming elite! I hope we can hold on to him.
On the season Martinez has had the following rushing yardage totals:
111, 33, 112, 34, 59, 50, 38 to go along with 10 Rushing TDs

Against the Gophers he had: -17 yards rushing and 0 TD

The only other times in his college career that Martinez has been to negative rushing yards happened back in 2018 during his freshman year. Defense did an amazing job containing him and not letting him do anything with his legs.

And to your point, it has been a ton of fun to see our defense succeed against mobile QBs because yeah, a QB that could move used to just destroy our defense.

Nope, you’re going too far the other way and I’m not sure why — plain as day how much MBS has to slow up to even try for a catch on the throw.

If the throw is in the end zone, maybe MBS even had a TD on the play. He had the corner beat.
No agenda, just giving credit where credit is due and not piling extra blame on a guy when he doesn't deserve it.

CTB made a great play to recover and come up with the INT. Morgan's throw wasn't perfect, he doesn't have the rocket arm that high end QBs have. But that was not a bad play on Morgan's part, sometimes a great player just makes a great play.

You might well be right.
Just a couple random postgame thoughts:

1. I’m still glad Nebraska went for it on 4th and 10 instead of punting to pin us deep. Our offense was doing nothing so I didn’t understand why Frost wouldn’t trust his punter and defense there.

2. I’m still frustrated Fleck took a knee before halftime. I know some people in the game thread were “1000% fine” with that, but I just think: you have two timeouts, 50+ seconds on the clock and like 45 yards to go to attempt a long field goal. Why not try something? It seemed like even Morgan wanted to get out of there. I wish he’d be a little more fiery in that instance, but what’re you going to do.

3. Obviously I’m happy with the outcome, but the 2nd half offense portends problems. Seemed like Morgan got into his own head with the picks and then Sanford stopped calling any passing plays. Williams bailed us out with the long run, but I hated going into a shell like that. What could be done different? Could they possibly have put Annexstad in? Even for a series to see if he had it (when Morgan clearly didn’t)?

4. I wonder if Frost will change his stance against sloganeering after this 😆
2008 NW is why you don't try something

CTB made a great play to recover and come up with the INT. Morgan's throw wasn't perfect, he doesn't have the rocket arm that high end QBs have. But that was not a bad play on Morgan's part, sometimes a great player just makes a great play.
CTB was beat by MBS. There would have been nothing he could do, if the throw wasn't well underthrown.

As you say, Morgan does not have an arm. He's great on throws of 15 air yards or less.

That first one happened right in front of me. In real time, the DB seemed to just come flying out of nowhere, ball hung up (probably due to both wind and the throw). Great play on the defense.

I'm guessing that was a bit of a "heat check" for Morgan, having completed 16 straight at that point.

That first one happened right in front of me. In real time, the DB seemed to just come flying out of nowhere, ball hung up (probably due to both wind and the throw). Great play on the defense.

I'm guessing that was a bit of a "heat check" for Morgan, having completed 16 straight at that point.
I give huge credit to the corner. Maybe most corners can't make that play. Fine.

I am willing to give that the wind could have played a (possible significant) factor in why the ball was underthrown. Fine.

But just silly to suggest the ball wasn't underthrown and that the underthrown didn't exactly give the opportunity for the CB to catch up and then make the play. It was the reason. Not that you are.

Yeah, sometimes other teams make plays

I have no issue with first int. I also think the WR should've played it better, but sometimes you just tip your cap to other team for making a play

I give huge credit to the corner. Maybe most corners can't make that play. Fine.

I am willing to give that the wind could have played a (possible significant) factor in why the ball was underthrown. Fine.

But just silly to suggest the ball wasn't underthrown and that the underthrown didn't exactly give the opportunity for the CB to catch up and then make the play. It was the reason. Not that you are.
Agreed, not an either/or situation. It worked on the TD in the first half, puts more zip on the INT and a little more to the sideline, would have been all good.

CTB was beat by MBS. There would have been nothing he could do, if the throw wasn't well underthrown.

As you say, Morgan does not have an arm. He's great on throws of 15 air yards or less.
Morgan's arm as fine, he just doesn't have the next level rocket arm that the elite guys have.

Morgan's arm as fine, he just doesn't have the next level rocket arm that the elite guys have.
Agree that he's good at medium length throws. Agree that he doesn't have an elite arm.

Disagree that it's a "fine arm", for being a Big Ten contender.

But, I could be overestimating or exaggerating just how good an arm we need to be competitive.

I also think the WR should've played it better
He's running full speed up the sideline, such that he has beaten the corner.

The QB throws the ball 5 yards behind the spot he's running to.

What was he (the receiver) supposed to do? Tackle the corner?

Also watching the CRAB TD, I'm not even sure the pass interference on the play was that great of a call. CRAB just went and got it.

He's running full speed up the sideline, such that he has beaten the corner.

The QB throws the ball 5 yards behind the spot he's running to.

What was he (the receiver) supposed to do? Tackle the corner?
go watch crab attack a ball

Top Bottom