Post Game Thoughts

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
(1) Great win. Every Big 10 win is a great win and this one was no different.
(2) The defense was fantastic today. Our offense put them into tough spots but this has been one of our better defenses that I can remember.
(3) That Bryce kid from Nebraska stinks. He was beaten like a drum all day by three different Gophers.
(4) That TE from Nebraska is pretty damn good. He made a few plays that were just really goods.
(5) Tanner was really good in the first half and the first INT was just a good play. The second INT. . . oh boy.
(6) I don't know if I have ever been more annoyed at a trick play attempt than I was with the flea flicker in the first half. No reason for it. We had them reeling.
(7) Our OL and DL really dominated the LOS today.
(8) Our play calling in the first half was great, it was pretty crappy in the second half. Some of that was just losing battles, some of it I believe was playcalling.
(9) Bryce Williams drinks for free in Dinkytown. The guy has done everything right. His two TDs in Camp Randall were legendary. He got a little buried on the depth chart, so he made himself into a great blocking RB (found a niche to continue helping the team), and when he got another opportunity he was great today.
(10) The miss holding calls have been pretty blatant all season. There were a few today that were REALLY bad.

(2) The defense was fantastic today. Our offense put them into tough spots but this has been one of our better defenses that I can remember.
(3) That Bryce kid from Nebraska stinks. He was beaten like a drum all day by three different Gophers.
(4) That TE from Nebraska is pretty damn good. He made a few plays that were just really goods.
(5) Tanner was really good in the first half and the first INT was just a good play. The second INT. . . oh boy.
(6) I don't know if I have ever been more annoyed at a trick play attempt than I was with the flea flicker in the first half. No reason for it. We had them reeling.
(8) Our play calling in the first half was great, it was pretty crappy in the second half. Some of that was just losing battles, some of it I believe was playcalling.
(9) Bryce Williams drinks for free in Dinkytown. The guy has done everything right. His two TDs in Camp Randall were legendary. He got a little buried on the depth chart, so he made himself into a great blocking RB (found a niche to continue helping the team), and when he got another opportunity he was great today.
(10) The miss holding calls have been pretty blatant all season. There were a few today that were REALLY bad.
Yeah - Williams was huge today. Really stepped up.

It seemed like Mafe was getting held on every play for a while in the second half. Don't think they called it once.

Roughing the passer call on Mafe was a joke....Saw the replay on the jumbotron and he barely breathed on him....Wish the gophers had #11 on the huskers.

It seemed like Mafe was getting held on every play for a while in the second half. Don't think they called it once.
Yep, I almost never yell at the TV but there was a third down in the 2nd half where there was such a blatant holding call right in front of the ref where I had to actively bite my tongue and pull a Costanza in the bathroom.

Roughing the passer call on Mafe was a joke....Saw the replay on the jumbotron and he barely breathed on him....Wish the gophers had #11 on the huskers.
Yeah, he was really impressive. One of their safeties looked really good too.

6) Trick plays can go either way. In this case it really backfired. I would have to see it again, was it a Blitz? If it had worked, then people would have been all over it praising the call. As it was, it really set us back.

We were on a roll at that time though. In a sense, why do trickery when things are going well? No real need to show your play book in a situation like that.

Nebraska fans get outraged, thinking they were just one or two plays short.

But that can be any game.
Minnesota had one or two plays as well that we wish we could take back.
But in the end, the better team wins with their mistakes.
No team plays perfect.

Making excuses just leads to more excuses.

When we went up 2 TDs with 2 minutes left the Nebbies to our left vacated en masse.

I told Mrs. Billd that we haven't won this thing yet. Within a minute my foreshadowing became stranger than fiction.

Glad we pulled it out. Oh, one bonus with winning against Nebbie...don't have to listen to "Gooo Big Red" incessantly after the game.

Early in the season, I thought the thing to watch were key injuries, ST play, and the resurgence of the Defense.

The Gophers collapse in the second half of the season due to injuries and facing the tough part of their schedule. They may sneakily and quietly win games to challenge Iowa for the division title.

We have to take it one game at a time.

Our young WRs and RBs are getting better and better.

Don't give up on Bryce Williams yet. He showed his value today. He is selfless and patient. He is a real team guy who never complains. He will factor in towards the end of the season.

The Defense is going to save the Gophers bacon on many upcoming games. Wisconsin and Iowa have some surprises coming their way.

Nebraska fans get outraged, thinking they were just one or two plays short.

But that can be any game.
Minnesota had one or two plays as well that we wish we could take back.
But in the end, the better team wins with their mistakes.
No team plays perfect.

Making excuses just leads to more excuses.
Yeah, I kept hearing that Nebraska was 1-2 plays away from winning.

We were literally, no conjecture, one garbage TD away from winning by 14.
We were also 1-2 plays away from winning by 21.

It's football. The better team won today.

Particularly agree with #6. We were dominating, offense unstoppable, and about to put the game away. That stupid play call completely changed the game. And so totally unnecessary.

Glad to see Brady Boyd get his first pass reception of his career and his on side fumble recovery was clutch. Felt like this was a game that we should have put away by halftime. Glad for the win. Looking forward to attending the game next week, first time in two years.

There was a lot of blatant holding by Nebraska, not called.

Feeling pretty good about being 7-2 going into Iowa. If we play like we did the first half of Nebraska against Iowa, we can be leading into halftime, just need to not give it up in the second half...

That will be sweet if the Gophers sneaked in quietly and win the B1G West outright. If they keep winning one game at a time, that may happen the way Iowa is losing to Purdue at home.

Even Nebbie has a chance to upset Iowa at home

Feeling pretty good about being 7-2 going into Iowa.
While I like the optimism, we are not good enough to look past the next opponent. Literally EVERYONE was feeling pretty good about beating Bowling Green too. Maryland will be a damn dogfight. They might have best QB in league not named Stroud.

While I like the optimism, we are not good enough to look past the next opponent. Literally EVERYONE was feeling pretty good about beating Bowling Green too. Maryland will be a damn dogfight. They might have best QB in league not named Stroud.
This. Until out OC figures out to adjust his play calling during the game (like the 2nd half), we cant look past anyone (not that any team ever should, but we are loaded despite our top two back being out. If this isnt the year we win the west….)

Maryland seems to always give us a go. I think the record is 4-2 to the Terps since they joined he league.
3-2 since joining the league. Gophers won the first one in 2016. Then, Maryland won in 2017 and 2018. Gophers won big in 2019. Finally, Maryland won in overtime 45-44 last year when we missed an extra point.

I'm not very up on these metrics but this has me confused. From ESPN Gamecast:

Why such a low QBR for Martinez? Not a high completion percentage, but 0 picks

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Adrian Martinez18/332417.31038.7

On the other hand, why so high for Morgan? High completion percentage, but 2 picks.
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Tanner Morgan20/242098.72284.8

Nyles Pinckney sacking Martinez and then running in a large oval, up the field, to the bench, down the field behind the bench and then back onto the field to play defense when Nebraska set up to go for it on fourth down was exciting and tiring. Fortunately PJ called timeout and then the Huskers kicked a field goal.

My post game thoughts are the OL was dominant, Altman-Bell will be on MNF Got Mossed for his TD catch, and the entire defense played great. It was the best played game of the year, even better than the CO game.

I'm not very up on these metrics but this has me confused. From ESPN Gamecast:

Why such a low QBR for Martinez? Not a high completion percentage, but 0 picks

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Adrian Martinez18/332417.31038.7

On the other hand, why so high for Morgan? High completion percentage, but 2 picks.
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Tanner Morgan20/242098.72284.8

From https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9612585/total-quarterback-rating-college-football

Unlike NCAA Passer Efficiency, which uses only box score statistics, Total QBR accounts for what a quarterback does on a play-by-play level, meaning it accounts for down, distance, field position, as well as the clock and score. A 5-yard gain on third-and-4 is a good play, whereas a 5-yard gain on third-and-14 isn't. A 20-yard touchdown pass when tied in the second quarter means more than a 20-yard touchdown pass when down 30 points late in the fourth quarter. QBR accounts for those things using analysis that turns traditional productivity into points on the scoreboard and wins in the standings.

It also accounts for a quarterback's ability to scramble, his ability to run on designed rush plays, how well he avoids sacks, drawing and committing penalties, and all-important fumbles, which can be significant for quarterbacks. If Texas A&M gained 5 yards on third-and-4, Manziel's contribution to that play is captured.

From https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9612585/total-quarterback-rating-college-football

Unlike NCAA Passer Efficiency, which uses only box score statistics, Total QBR accounts for what a quarterback does on a play-by-play level, meaning it accounts for down, distance, field position, as well as the clock and score. A 5-yard gain on third-and-4 is a good play, whereas a 5-yard gain on third-and-14 isn't. A 20-yard touchdown pass when tied in the second quarter means more than a 20-yard touchdown pass when down 30 points late in the fourth quarter. QBR accounts for those things using analysis that turns traditional productivity into points on the scoreboard and wins in the standings.

It also accounts for a quarterback's ability to scramble, his ability to run on designed rush plays, how well he avoids sacks, drawing and committing penalties, and all-important fumbles, which can be significant for quarterbacks. If Texas A&M gained 5 yards on third-and-4, Manziel's contribution to that play is captured.
Sounds like a difficult task to undertake. I get they have computers and algorithm thingies, but still hard to do.

So the actual stats aren't the whole story? They take into account things other than official stats?

Top Bottom