Post Game Reaction Thread: Illini Beat Gophers

Why is this all on Sanford? Isn’t he running the offense PJ wants. Does anyone think that with games like this PJ will change his offensive philosophy?

This game fell on the Sanford then the offensive line then morgan in that order.
Sanfords vanilla play calling fucking kills us. He does this in every match up he thinks is a cupcake game and then we get murdered.
The o line just like the BG game played soft early and never recovered (left tackle stands out the most to me) and doesn’t give Morgan any time and rarely opened up holes for our backs.
Morgan couldn’t make a throw to save his life and made poor decisions when we needed smart ones. Getting sacked when he should throw it away more than once. Rookie mistakes coming from what should be a seasoned veteran. Unlucky drops from receivers didn’t help him but come on.
Honorable mention: place kicker still hurts us and the refs missed at least 2 15 yard penalties in the first half that would’ve changed the momentum for the gophers (but that’s not the reason we lost)
Yupp he think he can outrun them. If BG didn't teach him a lesson. Nothing will. Some people are not good lesson takers. I rarely see Rossi and his crew making the same crapping twice. Sanford thinks he can ride Mo to the glory day of his coaching career. When Mo went down, his limited ability to coach is on display.

Basically a repeat of the Bowling Green game:
  • Awful protection breakdowns
  • Very little push from the OL
  • QB holding the ball too long
  • WRs not getting open
  • CrAB gets hurt (though he wasn't getting open anyway)
  • No meaningful offensive adjustments
  • Abandoned a scheme that was working (Kramer)
  • Poor kicking
  • Similar score
  • Defense played well enough to win
...right down to the orange pants

• WRs not getting open
  • Poor kicking
  • Similar score
Yep. Had hoped they learned their lesson after that one but this was pretty much a carbon copy. Good news is we won't be big favorites anymore and we seem to play better when we aren't.

Pathetic as this one was, if the team responds the West is still there for the taking.

FIRE SANFORD! ENOUGHHHH! TM is not improving one bit under his coaching. How many QBs does he need to destroy from NFL prospect to total trash? Unbelievable!
It may prevent us from landing talent at the QB position in the future. It doesn't seem Sanford is much of a QB developer.

EDIT: Or even keep the bench talent we do have.

Last edited:

Why is this all on Sanford? Isn’t he running the offense PJ wants. Does anyone think that with games like this PJ will change his offensive philosophy?
We had a prior OC under Fleck btw.

If PJ doesnt make a drastic move this week, the optics on the extension will look bad. You cant have your offense continuously NOT show up in gimme games
I'm pretty down on the OC, but I'm not sure there's much to gain by firing him with 3 regular season games left. Maybe let Simon call the plays.

Well, the defense did it’s job again today and has been a pleasant surprise after the Ohio State game. They gave us a chance and we blew it. Held Illinois to 265 yards and we couldn’t get out of our own way offensively.

On offense, the only thing I know for sure is that Sanford is horrible. He has to go, but I’ll eat my shirt if it happens. Morgan? I just don’t know. I think I’d replace him but honestly, I think his problem is Sanford, and if I’m right about that, how is a change in QB to someone with little experience going to help if Sanford is still involved.

Special teams? Crawford punted well and that’s about all I can say, except Trickett better not see the field again. He ain’t got it. Go to Walker or the other transfer. We finally fielded a couple of punts today but we still let some stupidly bounce and roll.

Lastly, if I’m looking for a silver lining, this team seems to respond after disasters like today. If that holds true, perhaps we’ve got good news next week with Floyd coming home.

Morgan was struggling before the O line imploded. Happy feet dancing around for no reason.. however the O line went down the shitter and gave Morgan legit reasons to dance

• Despite being a jaded, cynical, long suffering Minnesota sports fan; I did not see this one coming. I posted yesterday how impressed I was with the way they responded to the brutal BG loss. I was wrong.
  • Honestly, this team was as flat as I have ever seen any team coming out of the gates in an impact game. (Maybe 2000 Vikes 41 donut game compares)
  • The O line was absolutely brutal, just like BG. Every player. I am struggling with this.
  • The missed extra point was a perfect metaphor for the entire game.
Ohh and can we get rid of the idiotic policy of having the players more worried about finding a ref to hand the ball too than getting ready for the next play, especially in 2 minute mode.
I'm pretty sure handing the balls to the referees is not why the team lost today. Put that in bold

Yes. Because the offense wasn't hot garbage under Ciarocca or in Simon's one game tryout.

I'm pretty down on the OC, but I'm not sure there's much to gain by firing him with 3 regular season games left. Maybe let Simon call the plays.
If you're going to let Simon call the plays, then you fire Sanford. Look at the turnaround the D had in 2018.

Sick of running EVERY first down and EVERY 2nd and medium distance and EVERY third and short. So rarely does Sanford draw up an easy pass play. 90% of the passes seem to be in obvious pass downs and the routes all seem to be very deep down the field. I don’t think any qb on the roster would succeed with the plays being called.

Fire Sanford. Name Simon THE guy. If there isn't a dramatic change in the next four games, you know you need someone new next year. Simon will be happy to return to WR coaching if he was given a chance and laid an egg.

I'd say it is a great time to make a change since Simon has been co-coaching the offense the last two years. It'd be a bit different if a coach not as involved in the offense stepped in.

Our O Line coach is good. They didn't play well today. Play calls could easily be a component in that.

Fire Sanford. Name Simon THE guy. If there isn't a dramatic change in the next four games, you know you need someone new next year. Simon will be happy to return to WR coaching if he was given a chance and laid an egg.

I'd say it is a great time to make a change since Simon has been co-coaching the offense the last two years. It'd be a bit different if a coach not as involved in the offense stepped in.
EXACTLY. Make the move now, put Simon in at OC, hire a new guy in the off season of Simon doesn’t cut it.

• WRs not getting open
  • Abandoned a scheme that was working (Kramer)
  • Poor kicking
  • Similar score
I am far more disappointed with todays result than I was after the BC joke.

If Fleck is going to credit culture for playing well against the teams with better athletes, then I think it's fair to blame culture for not playing well against lesser teams.
Yeah I’d rather he blame the coaches, specifically Sanford and himself.

Top Bottom