Post-Game Reaction Thread: Gophers Dominate Northwestern

That was an ass kicking. Was over before it really got going. Great team win. All 3 phases were good.

Saw some negativity about the rush defense. Still only gave up 240 total yards
D gives up yards but keeps teams out of the EZ. Could care less how many yards we give up when the opponent only scores 14 points. Some people get way too hung up in things like yardage and overlook the only stat that really matters which is points.

I think we will be mixing it up against Iowa and Sconny. PJ isn't gonna open the kimono when he doesn't need to.
Thats what Im hoping for. I have noticed that for each opponent they start with a different flavor, but after half time they go into run mode. They shouldnt overlook anyone, but against IA and WI, PJ is 1-7 so he better understand that formula does not work against them

I think Aune had a season-ending injury before the year started. So we probably are gonna have to use LeCaptain and Kramer and hopefully throw a bit more.
He was on the sideline in a vest but with full pads underneath I think. If he had a season ending injury it seems unlikely he would be dressed.

That said, he hasn't played at all according to Gophersports sho who knows.

He was on the sideline in a vest but with full pads underneath I think. If he had a season ending injury it seems unlikely he would be dressed.

That said, he hasn't played at all according to Gophersports sho who knows.

Yeah I can't recall where I read that but, I guess we will see. Definitely odd that he hasn't played at all. I feel like I might have seen him on the defensive sidelines helping with some of the signals, but cannot confirm.

D gives up yards but keeps teams out of the EZ. Could care less how many yards we give up when the opponent only scores 14 points. Some people get way too hung up in things like yardage and overlook the only stat that really matters which is points.
Agreed. But 240 yards is very low. I’m not at all concerned about their ability to run a little. It’s all they do and Hull is solid.

B1G broadcasters mentioning Morgan will have to win a game for gophers at some point this year, if he can get back to 2019, Gophers can win the west.

morgan hasnt been asked to do anything the second half, they better give him some practice soon

(1) Our OL is really good.
(2) Our FR RB's are really good. Bucko picked up 3 really good blitzes. That's huge for us if Williams is hurt.
(3) We probably have a LB or two who will need to get some snaps at RB. Maybe Josh Aune? He was a pretty good HS RB. If Williams is hurt, I wouldn't be super shocked to see a bit of LeCaptain (practicing with the Wildcat formation).
(4) Evan Hull is pretty good and our tackling wasn't great (small nit).
(5) Our DL has gotten so good that I'd imagine 30-40% of the passes against us have been on plays where we they intentionally leave the pocket.
(6) MBS is turning into a really nice deep threat.
(7) Justin Walley might end up being one of the best CBs in the history of the program. I forget that he is a FR.
(8) It's still hard to watch college football with, what seems like, random holding calls. There are some bad ones missed in every game consistently.
(9) I don't love the playcalling with Tanner Morgan. I know, I know, it's a complaint every week. I just think this team could be really special and some of Sanford's playcalling just doesn't make sense to me.
(10) Our OL is really good.
It has become obvious that the play calling we see is because of Morgans limitations. Even PJ said the interception was due to a bad throw by Morgan. If we had an elite QB with our running game we would see different play calling and even more points being put up. I appreciate Morgan, but I’m looking forward to next year and beyond to seeing if the other QB’s can raise the level of play.

It has become obvious that the play calling we see is because of Morgans limitations. Even PJ said the interception was due to a bad throw by Morgan. If we had an elite QB with our running game we would see different play calling and even more points being put up. I appreciate Morgan, but I’m looking forward to next year and beyond to seeing if the other QB’s can raise the level of play.
BS

Which big ten west QB would you rather have? Everyone I've seen is worse than Morgan.

Well based on those couple carries I think he has earned the right to be in the mix if Williams is down for any length of time.

LeCaptain was a RB in high school so he is probably very comfortable with the ball.

He looked very comfortable today. Several impressive broken tackles.

Radio guys were speculating Kramer may be emergency Rb. Don't know about that.....

Walley had great stats as Mr Mississippi, but can we take him away from the DB room? Maybe he becomes a part of the offense ala Charles Woodson at Michigan?
HIGH SCHOOL: Attended D’Iberville High School in D’Iberville, Mississippi • wore No. 5 for the Warriors • as a senior, led team to 10-1 record and Region 4-6A title as he was named Class 6A Mississippi Mr. Football • recorded 55 tackles, two interceptions and two blocked kicks • rushed 106 times for 1,005 yards and 19 touchdowns and caught 28 passes for 329 yards and one touchdown • as a junior, recorded 74 tackles and one interception • coached by Larry Dolan.

Longer post earlier today on the in game thread by hungan1 tells the story.
Evan Hull and his family came to see the Gopher coaches during a visit. PJ finally showed up and Evan was undoubtedly excited.

"That one is on PJ Fleck. That question was like a job interview where you are so excited you blew it. He was excited about a hometown offer possibility. PJ threw in a question Evan didn't know how to answer at the spur of the moment. The kid said he was going to see other offers or something on the excitement. PJ got up and left the room. This thing about you having to want to be a Gopher PJ took too far. The kid wanted to be a Gopher. It sounded like they waited a long time for PJ to come back. He never did. That was hard-breaking for Evan. PJ needs to slow down the high-energy red bull." o_O Post #345 on the official game thread

if he can get back to 2019, Gophers can win the west.
I'm not certain that the Gophers need to worry about Tanner Morgan getting back to 2019... I'd be more interested in seeing the WR's bringing their play up closer to what we saw in 2019. If CrAB cn stay healthy, that's a good first step. MBS has looked good at times... but has not always stepped up, so to speak, when really needed. Jackson and Wright have been in and out of the line up for various reasons, and each of them has not lived up to expectations. If the Gophers can get one or both to elevate their level of play, there's a chance that the aerial attack could reach 2019 levels just when the Gophers will need it.

Bryce Witham isn't around to make game-saving catches, but BSF and Kieft have shown some pass-catching abilities...

Morgan is good at giving receivers ample opportunities to make plays and the receiving corps have to just make plays when it counts.

Top Bottom