Possible position changes in the offseason...

Lordshawesome

Reaction score
Now that the recruiting class for this year is set, what position changes are on the horizon? Given we seem to have log jams at some positions(i.e. RB & TE and all the sudden WR) and thin at others(looking at you defensive backs), any news (or educated guesses) on position changes looming for 2014?

Don't see many. We are pretty deep at every position. Maybe a TE to FB or DL.

Kill also said that there wasn't any changes planed.

The question to ask when looking at that is 'do we have anyone that seems like a really good athlete that's either not getting any PT or not playing particularly well at one spot' and then whether or not they have the body type to play another spot. I don't think we really have anyone like that other than maybe a Guy like Duke Anwanu (sp?) who can maybe move to DE or a guy like Matilus to FB. Not saying either of those even makes a ton of sense, just throwing it out there.

That's good. You can lose a finger on a planer--makes it hard to pick up the ball.;)

Ouch, that hurt!

When I was typing it I thought planned had two n's but then it accepted planed. So I though who am I to argue with GopherHole's "expert" spell check. I now have learned my lesson, one should be wary of GopherHole "experts".:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about changing from super fan to mega fan

Now that the recruiting class for this year is set, what position changes are on the horizon? Given we seem to have log jams at some positions(i.e. RB & TE and all the sudden WR) and thin at others(looking at you defensive backs), any news (or educated guesses) on position changes looming for 2014?

due to his tackle in the bowl game, they're thinking of switching Mortell to linebacker or safety.

From the Sports Huddle and other things Kill has said, it sounds like Edwards will get a bit of run playing inside receiver (I'd imagine the same will be true of Jeff Jones). This position will probably be primarily a RB (jet sweeps, counters, etc.) but both Edwards and Jones are good enough receivers to run bubble screens and that sort of thing.

We are deep at a lot of positions, but as Kill has said, we aren't going to keep our best athletes on the bench. I still wouldn't be shocked to see Streveler get some run at WR. It seems like a fairly natural progression from TE to FB/H-Back, Plsek could get some run here and Maxx Williams played a bit at the H-Back last season. I wouldn't be shocked to see some situations where Maxx moves to FB and Wozniak comes in at TE.

Some guys who might jump around are guy like. . .
-Duke Anyanwu. . .he is big enough to move to DL or stay at TE. It depends on where he'd get on the field sooner.
-Hank Ekpe. . .he could possibly grow into a DT. He is around 255-260 and he doesn't even turn 19 until June, he could be prime candidate to grow into more of a DT rather than a DE.
-Campion. . .he seems fully capable of playing inside if someone like Pirsig really emerges. This seems doubtful because Epping and Bak have been so good (also Kill really seems to be hinting that C. Mayes is going to be playing right away).
-Jack Lynn. . .it wouldn't be too surprising to me to see Lynn move to OLB on occasion. If he's one of our best LBers (if Poock/Laster/Rallis aren't ready), it wouldn't be surprising to see Lynn move outside on occasion. This transition seems fairly easy in our defense (Mike Rallis did it, Tinsley moved around a bit).
-Michael Conway (WO QB). . .I wouldn't be too surprised if we moved him to WR. If he is passed on the depth chart by guys like Rhoda and Perra it's entirely feasible. He is 6'5" 205 lbs and he's pretty athletic (played in a running offense and I believe NDSU recruited him with the possibility of moving him to WR).

Those are obviously just hunches and possibilities based on having the requisite athletic profile to switch positions.

I think position changes would be primarily driven by any injuries we have. The best will be on the field. For an old Gopher fan like me we have unbelievable depth. What a relief. (And yes, I know it is still just minimal depth for a quality program).

I think we finally see a lot of different sets and player rotation, especially offensive skill positions and at QB in the OOC schedule.

I expect to see a bevy of RBs rack up considerable yardage. This feels good. Like the games begin!

It seems kill is never shy about switching positions, if it means getting the best athletes on the field. I suggested that a RB like R. Williams or Kirkwood(who might be behind Cobb, Edwards & J. Jones now) would be better options at fullback than relying on two unknown walk ons. They have the size and a far better understanding of our run game.

Position changes

What about guys like Dexter Foreman, and Devon Wright, one is a Junior one is a senior. Both seem to have decent speed, have they attempted defense with either guy. Wright didn't see the field even with the shortage at WR, why not try him at strong Safety and see if he can contribute in a spot like that, he has good straight line speed and seems to contribute on special teams, at least he did a lot as a sophmore why not give the guy a shot at being a blitzing strong safety or short yardage guy.
Foreman he has played quarterback maybe he can contribute at free saftey, the guy can run and move can he tackle?

I'm not saying it is 100% plausible that either guy can play defense but if neither guy is going to be used at RB/WR or QB why not give them a shot on defense, you never know what might turn up without trying.

Ernie Heifort doesn't seem like a guy that will get any time with the log jam at Tight end, can he put his hand on the ground and rush the passer, he has size and decent to OK wheels?

I am sure some position changes might surface in the Spring when the team gets back on the field. Not sure I would say we have a log jam at receiver yet though because there are no real proven commodities out there yet, just a bunch of guys that will hopefully develop into a solid group.

Top Bottom